Eating less vs exercising more?

Options
2»

Replies

• davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Everyone's experience is different, so you will have to try it to see if it works. However, my advice would be to not try it. Again, everyone is different, but my experience is that more cardio equals more appetite and I can quickly erase whatever deficit I created through exercise. I still do cardio for heart and brain health and because I like it, but I don't consider it a part of weight control.

However, strength training is a whole different story. By strength training, I saw fantastic gains in how I looked even without actually losing weight. You might find you are more happy with your body even without losing those last couple pounds if you added resistance training. And, for me, strength training does not produce the same levels of hunger that cardio does. But, you have to choose a good program, and do it correctly. StrongLifts is a very popular beginner program.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I love working out...and I love eating...so for me, moving more to eat more makes sense. My overall calorie deficits are much bigger when I workout.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have to do both or I get no weight loss/fat loss results. It seems if all I do is count cals, I just end up slowing down physically so that I burn much less. If I just exercise, I probably eat more without noticing. I have to count cals AND work out regularly if I hope to get any positive results at all.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm within a few pounds of goal and any deficit I get these days comes from exercise. I just can't eat any less at this point. Fortunately for me exercise, especially cardio, decreases my appetite fairly significantly. Not sure what's up with that but not complaining!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Oh, and meant to add that I totally get where you're coming from. Eating at a deficit for long periods of time, especially if you have a low number to start with is HARD. Great job on your loss.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I personally do not believe that one can effectively lose weight with out both eating in a deficit and exercising. One with out the other leaves more room for error. Now how much to do of both is up to the individual. MFP is suppose to already have you eating at a deficit (if you have your profile set to lose) so if you stick to that on top of exercising you will be golden. But test it out. If it ends up not working or you dont like it then you can go back to what you were doing.

I've lost weight before without exercising. So just because you personally believe something that doesn't make it true. But I do agree that the best way to lose weight is to eat at a deficit and exercise. But just eating at a deficit will work.

OP, if you want create your deficit through exercise rather than through eating less then that is fine. For most people it is easier to eat 500 calories less than before rather than add 500 calories of exercise. But if you are tired of eating at a deficit then you should be able to still lose weight by increasing your activity.
  • JustMissTracy
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I personally do not believe that one can effectively lose weight with out both eating in a deficit and exercising. One with out the other leaves more room for error. Now how much to do of both is up to the individual. MFP is suppose to already have you eating at a deficit (if you have your profile set to lose) so if you stick to that on top of exercising you will be golden. But test it out. If it ends up not working or you dont like it then you can go back to what you were doing.

I've lost weight before without exercising. So just because you personally believe something that doesn't make it true. But I do agree that the best way to lose weight is to eat at a deficit and exercise. But just eating at a deficit will work.

OP, if you want create your deficit through exercise rather than through eating less then that is fine. For most people it is easier to eat 500 calories less than before rather than add 500 calories of exercise. But if you are tired of eating at a deficit then you should be able to still lose weight by increasing your activity.

Because it's her personal belief, it makes it true for her, personally.

As for the second bolded part, I "personally" disagree...I find it much easier to get in 500 cals worth of exercise over 24 hours than I do to eat 500 calories less.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, by definition you aren't eating at maintenance. How you get there can vary: you can eat less than you need to maintain at your current activity level (including exercise), or you can be more active.

It's like saying that you want to start saving another $50/month for vacation. You can either spend less or earn more (part-time job, ask for a raise, work overtime, etc.). Either way, if you stick with it you'll have $600 at the end of a year. Weight loss is analogous.
  • kgirlhart
    Options

Because it's her personal belief, it makes it true for her, personally.

As for the second bolded part, I "personally" disagree...I find it much easier to get in 500 cals worth of exercise over 24 hours than I do to eat 500 calories less.

She didn't say that she could not lose weight effectively without both. She said she didn't believe one could effectively lose weight without both. Plenty of people effectively lose weight without exercising.

And I didn't say that it was easier for everyone to eat 500 calories less. I said it was easier for most people. You are obviously not most people.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    You're right, I'm not. Are you? I said I "personally" disagree..."I".
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    I think I am most people. I do find it easier to cut 500 calories from my diet than to burn 500 calories with exercise. It is easier for me because I can weigh my food and know how much I ate whereas when I exercise I never really trust the numbers I get.
  • Relaxingmind
    Relaxingmind Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Over a 1+ year period I lost a good amount of fat because I used to be overweight. I made sure to eat at a 300-500 deficit from my TDEE (according to myfitnesspal). This was before any added exercise. I did exercise but not much, and I still do. The problem is I'm only 7 pounds away from my goal weight and I feel like I just can't do counting deficits anymore. It's getting too difficult so I was wondering would I still see results if I instead ate at maintenance and increased my exercise and activity?

What is it about 'counting deficits' that's getting too difficult? And if you're not counting your calories (in spite of increased exercise) how will you know whether or not you're eating at maintenance?

I still count my calories. What I mean is for example when I was overweight and eating at a 500 daily deficit, I didn't feel as hungry. Now after slimming down, I feel like I'm starving when eating at a 500 deficit. I need a new approach, but at the same time, I don't want to slow or halt my progress since I still have a bit of weight to lose. A catch-22.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I think I am most people. I do find it easier to cut 500 calories from my diet than to burn 500 calories with exercise. It is easier for me because I can weigh my food and know how much I ate whereas when I exercise I never really trust the numbers I get.

I agree- for me - that its easier to just eat 500 less than it is to burn 500 calories with exercise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Over a 1+ year period I lost a good amount of fat because I used to be overweight. I made sure to eat at a 300-500 deficit from my TDEE (according to myfitnesspal). This was before any added exercise. I did exercise but not much, and I still do. The problem is I'm only 7 pounds away from my goal weight and I feel like I just can't do counting deficits anymore. It's getting too difficult so I was wondering would I still see results if I instead ate at maintenance and increased my exercise and activity?

What is it about 'counting deficits' that's getting too difficult? And if you're not counting your calories (in spite of increased exercise) how will you know whether or not you're eating at maintenance?

I still count my calories. What I mean is for example when I was overweight and eating at a 500 daily deficit, I didn't feel as hungry. Now after slimming down, I feel like I'm starving when eating at a 500 deficit. I need a new approach, but at the same time, I don't want to slow or halt my progress since I still have a bit of weight to lose. A catch-22.

Realize that as you are close to goal (you said 7 lbs to go), your progress should/will slow down. You probably should set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs per week--this will give you more calories on a daily basis, bringing you closer to maintenance. And when you finally do hit your goal, it's not like your allowed daily calories are going to suddenly increase by a huge magnitude--maintenance, just like losing, is a lifestyle adjustment. Adding in some level of exercise will allow you to eat a bit more regardless of whether you are losing or maintaining.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

My recommendation is to compromise - there is no black or white dichotomy here. I think your best strategy is to balance a small calorie deficit with an increase in exercise, which offers both weight loss and increased fitness. If you are currently eating at a 500 calorie deficit without much exercise, I would suggest going to a 250 calorie deficit and increasing the number of calories burned through exercise. You'll be set to lose about .5 lb/week through your reduced intake, and whatever calories are burned through exercise can either increase your rate of weight loss or, if you experience increased hunger, you can adjust your calories consumed and still maintain a rate of loss of about .5 lb/week.

Some people report increased appetite due to exercise. I am an exception to that rule, especially if I am running outdoors through our neighborhood with rolling hills. Knowing I have to get my behind up those hills the next morning really helps me make better choices with what I consume. YMMV - give it a go and see how your body responds to the increased activity.