Reward ideas that aren't food or money based?

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
I need some reward ideas that don't involve food or money but also aren't stupid like give yourself a hug, or dance to music (I dance when I want to dance, it's not a valid reward for hard work)

Replies

• sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Reward for what?
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I need some reward ideas that don't involve food or money but also aren't stupid like give yourself a hug, or dance to music (I dance when I want to dance, it's not a valid reward for hard work)

oh boy...

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    meeting goals (like weight loss goals), general life stuff, any reason I feel like I want to reward myself. I usually do it with food, but that isn't good.
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's telling that there aren't many replies isn't it! :D . I sat here and had a good think. Hmm..not food, booze or money-based. Damn.

The only thing I can think of might involve family and friends. Have them all offer you the gift of TIME. e.g. your kids or S.O. might offer to do a chore that you usually get lumbered with. A friend might cut your lawn or walk the dog. A work colleague might take one of your routine tasks one time.

When you feel you've earnt a reward, call it in. You then get to kick back and relax for a bit.

This probably won't work if you're only losing a few pounds. But if you're on a big journey, others might be more willing to help out.

I dunno...just an idea. Thinking out loud.

Else, I always like a bubble bath watching a film (TABLET ON CLOSED TOILET AWAY FROM THE WATER...NOT IN THE BATH - SAFETY FIRST). ;)

I'm easily pleased!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    When you say not "money-based", do you mean not putting money away in a jar or something like that? Or do you mean that the reward can't cost any money. Because if it's the latter, I got nothing...
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly confused and concerned with some of these replies. If it can't be money based, that means you are limiting it to friends, family, or hobbies. If you are using these things as rewards for losing weight, there's a bigger problem going on here.

I suggest putting a dollar away with each pound lost. Not a ton of money to break bank, still enough to buy a treat after awhile, and not it does not limit your social interactions, self-care time, or hobbies.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Go for a romantic walk. Invite a friend over for tea. Read a good book with your feet soaking in some Epsom salts. Have a board game night with friends or family.

I like these ideas. You could do an at home spa day, give yourself a foot soak, bubble bath, pedi/mani. But, these things do cost money... money for bubble bath soap, money for nail polish. I mean, you should probably give yourself some sort of budget.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to reward yourself if you're not going to send a single penny on it! Things cost money! All I've got is walks on the beach, bubble baths and reading books/watching DVDs you already own!!!

I do seriously think that if you're looking at rewards for your weight loss (and not everyone does them), that you should budget for them - a spa session/day, hair cut or massage can be really cheap if you've got a Groupon voucher or similar. My rewards involve theatre trips - because that's what I love to do. They're not cheap, but I reserve them for big milestones, so I feel justified, when I have reached these goals, to spending a little money on myself.

What do you love - live music, spa treats, nights out? None of these have to involve food - at least not the kind of food that will knock you off course - I'm wondering if that's your concern here? I take little bags of grapes to the theatre - easy to eat, not messy and few cals - and I have bottles of water.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of meeting goals as a reward in and of itself. A goal is something you want to achieve. If you're not happy by achieving a goal then I'm not sure you're hearts in it all the way

I meant to reward myself for losing 80 lbs and reaching my goal weight, for running 5, 10, 21 km, but still haven't bought anything, or even found anything to buy myself, as nothing seems worth as much as reaching those goals did for me.

So I think you might be right. Maybe @cee134 is having similar "problems".

Having said that, I've certainly enjoyed life and gone on outings and bought myself new exercise clothes and smaller sized clothes along the way which I didn't do/have before, so I haven't deprived myself of all 'rewards'.

• donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of clothes that I fattened out of and am looking forward to wearing again; I have listed these items against different weight loss milestones. I have also hung them right in the middle of my wardrobe where I see them every day. Wearing these things again will definitely be rewarding.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Can you think of anything you enjoy doing that doesn't cost money and isn't eating? I don't use my rewards as a weight loss reward, just a way to relax and treat myself. Because this was my biggest issue with weight gain...I loved to binge watch tv and eat junk...so now my 'me time' is spent doing other things I enjoy-a hot bubble bath with candles, face pack and music, lying in the garden and reading, cleaning ( I know I'm strange to enjoy it). What do you love to do in your spare time that you don't often get to do?....whatever it is, do that! :)
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree about rewards sort of have to cost money, otherwise you'd do them without having reached a goal, and time with loved ones is a right and deserved, not something to strive for. I dyed my hair when I lost 30 pounds. Bleached it and dyed it blue. It cost $12 for the kit. Made me happy, and it's something I wouldn't have done otherwise because as a fat person I tried to minimize my appearance and any attention drawn to my appearance. And I was reminded of my amazeness every time I looked in the mirror or someone said "nice hair!". It lasted for months (I did the underside so regrowth wasn't an issue) I get it that money's tight. My next goal was 50 pounds, and the reward was piercing my nose. That was at Christmas, and because money is tight, I still have zero nose piercings. But a piercing is $60-$100, whereas there's tons of other things we all want that are much less. It was silly for me to not save as I lost weight. My bad. I was just given money from my husband, especially for my nose piercing because he knows I won't take grocery or bill money to do it. But I feel compelled to do it because I said I would, lol.

So suggestions on low cost rewards, that keep you reminded and mentally aware of the journey you're on would be
    New funky water bottle
    New weights or yoga mat (my tiny 3 pounders I use while sitting on the couch, cost $3. The 5 pounders cost the same. Walmart for the win)
    A new mirror to keep yourself reminded of how you've busted your *kitten*! Again, Walmart has $9 full length ones. I have one in my hallway, resting in the floor so all I see is my armpits down, and I walk towards it a hundred times a day, and every time I think dang, I'm looking good!
    Blue hair (seriously consider this, it's so fun. Or purple or aqua! I used Splat)
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Blue hair (seriously consider this, it's so fun. Or purple or aqua! I used Splat)

Agreed! Do it before you are too old to rock it!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Some of these have already been mentioned and some may involve a bit of money, depending on what you have and where you're located:

Bubble bath (maybe reading a good book or listening to soothing music)
    Burning a candle or possibly incense (although I worry about the health risk) and just sitting, being still. Or you could meditate, read, listen to relaxing music.
    A new, free app.
    A meditation app.
    Create a new station on Pandora (free) or similar.
    Go to the library (this is always a treat for me). Try a different type of book or magazine or select a book about something you've always wanted to learn or a new interest. Or stick with what you enjoy.
    Go to a park and walk or just sit and enjoy being outside.
    Discover a new park or nature trail.
    Not sure where you are, but I get lots of digital magazines (current and back issues) free through my library system and Zinio.
    Go for a walk with a friend.
    Have a friend over for coffee or tea, or just make it a "ritual" for yourself. Use a really nice cup or mug, take the time to enjoy the smell, savor the taste, perhaps sit outside to enjoy it or find a cozy space indoors.
    Be creative or practice a hobby. Draw, paint, knit, make things with stuff you have around the house, make greeting cards, play an instrument, enjoy a garden, color.
    Organize something "fun" (e.g., makeup or photos).
    Play a game (I love online word games), do a crossword or sudoku or jigsaw puzzle.
    Rearrange the furniture and your home decor, if you can.
    Do something you enjoyed as a child (e.g., play jacks).
    Cook, if you enjoy it. Try a new recipe or see what you can throw together and create with ingredients you already have.
    Do something physical. Play hopscotch, hit a tennis ball against a wall, bike ride. Whatever is feasible and enjoyable.
    Rearrange, rediscover, recategorize a collection, if you have one.
    Pamper or play with a pet, if you have one.
    Discover what's free in your town. (In my area there are free, weekly outdoor concerts in the summer as well as free movies in the park.)
    Look in the free local newspaper and see what's being offered.
    Have a picnic or just enjoy a meal or beverage in your own yard. (I like to sit outside with a glass of wine or iced tea.)
    Look at the moon and stars. Enjoy the fireflies.

• ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sex.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The problem with a no money no food reward like a walk or something is i'm going to do it anyway. . Its not a reward to me if i can do it anytime i want, so then i don't really look forward to it. It doesn't have to be expensive. Get yourself a new lipstick or a new song on itunes. I suppose a backrub or footrub from the spouse could be a nice reward if it's like pulling teeth to get them to do it usually. Thought of it because my reward for rubbing moms feet when i was a kid was i could stay up and watch tv as long as i was doing it.