new runner, knee pain!

Options
Hello, so I started running as my workout plan about 2 weeks ago. I run on the tread mill for 30 mins every day doing 2 mins fast walk and then 1 min run, 2 mins fast walk, 1 min run and so on and so on until i can consistantly run the full 30 mins. my knees are really starting to hurt now and I was wondering is this normal or am I possibly running wrong? i dont want to stop running since i have lost 10 pounds so far, so I know it is helping me ontop of healthy eating.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How frequently are you running? How fast are you running? Is your treadmill set to a high incline? How old are your running shoes?

It could be as simple as trying to do too much too soon too fast, it could be that your shoes are inappropriate / due to be replaced (if you have a running shop close by have them check your gait and make recommendations), it could be hip/glute/core strength.

Step 1 is to stop running, at least temporarily until you can determine the cause of the pain. Rest and ice the affected area for a few days and when the pain subsides try rolling it back to longer walking intervals.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When you begin running, you do not want to do it every day. Get a program like C25k, which has you run close to every other day. By running daily, you are not allowing your body to recover, which can cause overuse injuries. So you are not doing yourself any favors running that much currently. Even in marathon training, you do not run daily. Mix it up by adding cross training like cycling or swimming.

It also should be noted that unless it's arthritis or poor shoes, knee pain usually never is from the knee. I'm currently stuck not running due to a knee injury, but because I found out two days ago that my pelvis is misaligned, causing one leg to be longer. Typically knee pain stems from weak glutes, hamstrings, quads, or hips. It would be beneficial to have a day of cross training in which you work on strengthening these areas if you plan on continuing.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what you are wearing on your feet? Your problem could be that you need something more supportive, may be you are wearing old trainers for example. Only thinking. Hope you get to really enjoy working out.
  • maurisha96
    maurisha96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The issue could definitely be with your shoes. When I first started running, I wore Nike Free 5.0 and my knees were killing me! I went to a running store and had my gait analyzed and discovered that I needed shoes for overpronation.. Once I switched to Saucony Omni, which was more of a stability shoe, the pain went away!
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Too much too soon. Try skipping every other day and see if the knee pain goes away. You don't want to get an injury by doing too much and you will still improve by starting out slower.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Running is tricky because you have to start slow so that your body becomes accustomed to the jolts. The main things you can do are: 1) Go to a proper running shoe store and have them analyze your gait to see what type of shoes you need. A good store will often have a treadmill with a camera so they can see what your feet are doing and recommend a shoe based on that. 2) Listen to your body! That's the most important thing you can do. I can't stress that enough. If you have pain, stop running or at least back off on the distance/time/speed you're running until it gets better. Once you establish a routine distance/time/speed that you can run, without developing pain, only increase that 10% per week. For example, if I can run 10 miles a week pain free then the next week I'd only run 11, the week after that 12.1, the week after that 13.3, etc. This gives your body time to adjust to the stresses of running.

There are lots of other things you can do to help run pain free if you start getting serious about running, but I think those two are the most important for a new runner.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I used to think I can't run due to knee pain. The truth was that I was starting to fast and not gradually building on distance or miles. when I started slow with intervals no pain. I can even run half marathons now without pain. Now when I have knee pain it means I need new shoes. Get fitted for good running shoes and replace about every 400 miles or so.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone said about trying to do too much too soon as well as the shoes. I've experienced it myself. And usually a new pair of running shoes solved it for me. As well as easing into it over several weeks.

I'm about to start running again myself and if I start feeling these pains I'll back it off and let myself recover before ramping it up too much.
  • jenlyons21
    jenlyons21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I actually have started to do the eliptical and its doing wonders for my knees and weight loss. I am actually loosing more weight on it. I may run every once in a while but I think the best work out for me is the eliptical.