Any CAKE decoraters out there? HELP!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    cakepatterncentral.com is the place to go for cake help.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....if you have no fridge then don't use fondant...it requires cold storage until ready to serve.

Doh! I thought it was the opposite?!?! I thought buttercream needed a fridge while fondant didn't (i'm picturing all the wedding cakes for outside weddings)

Don't put fondant in a fridge, and yes buttercream will melt in the sun/heat... I use a marshmallow fondant recipe, tastes better than regular fondant and is pretty easy to make!

1 package (16 oz) mini marshmallows
    2-5 Tbsp. water
    2 lbs powder sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening

Step 1
    To make marshmallow fondant, place marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir until mixed well. Continue microwaving 30 seconds more; stir again. Continue until melted (about 2 1/2 minutes).
    Step 2
    Place 3/4 of the confectioners' sugar on top of the melted marshmallow mixture. Fold sugar into marshmallow mixture. Flavoring can be added at this point if desired. Place solid vegetable shortening in easily accessed bowl so you can reach into it with fingers as you are working. Grease hands and counter GENEROUSLY; turn marshmallow mixture onto counter. Start kneading like you would dough. Continue kneading, adding additional confectioners' sugar and re-greasing hands and counter so the fondant doesn't stick. If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, it is too dry; add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time) kneading until fondant forms a firm, smooth elastic ball that will stretch without tearing, about 8 minutes.
    Step 3
    It's best to allow Marshmallow Fondant to sit, double-wrapped, overnight. Prepare the fondant for storing by coating with a thin layer of solid vegetable shortening, wrap in plastic wrap and then place in resealable bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Marshmallow Fondant will keep well in refrigerator for several weeks.
    Step 4
    When not working with fondant, make sure to keep it covered with plastic wrap or in a bag to prevent it from drying out. When ready to use, knead fondant until smooth. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick.
    Step 5
    To color fondant: If you need to tint the entire batch of fondant, add a little icing color to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding confectioners' sugar. For smaller amounts of tinted fondant, add icing color to portions of fondant as needed.

Hope this helps you out!!! :smile:
  • goody_girl
    Options
    I'm a Wilton Cake Instructor. Buttercream with shortening will hold up the best and Yes, it can be refridgerated. Buttercream with butter will melt if subjected to heat, but still holds up well in the refridgerator. If you decide to go with fondant, Wilton's is the easiest, but I agree that it doesn't taste the best. If you're thinking of making your own I would definitely go with the marshmallow fondant recipe someone else suggested. It is SOOOOOOO easy and tastes fabulous. Every time I have used it I get rave reviews. It truly is really easy and needs no experience. I would NOT refridgerate it though. What happens is the fondant will collect condensation from the moisture in the fridge and then the sugar in the fondant will start to disolve. As long as you don't use butter or cream cheese in your icing or filling, you can keep the cake out for up to 24 hours. If you do use perishable ingredients in the icing or filing you will need to keep it cold so I would not use fondant in that case!! You can safely store unused fondant in the refigerator if it is well wrapped in plastic wrap though!! I double wrap it and then place it in an airtight container jus to be safe!

Hope that helps!!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a Wilton Cake Instructor. Buttercream with shortening will hold up the best and Yes, it can be refridgerated. Buttercream with butter will melt if subjected to heat, but still holds up well in the refridgerator. If you decide to go with fondant, Wilton's is the easiest, but I agree that it doesn't taste the best. If you're thinking of making your own I would definitely go with the marshmallow fondant recipe someone else suggested. It is SOOOOOOO easy and tastes fabulous. Every time I have used it I get rave reviews. It truly is really easy and needs no experience. I would NOT refridgerate it though. What happens is the fondant will collect condensation from the moisture in the fridge and then the sugar in the fondant will start to disolve. As long as you don't use butter or cream cheese in your icing or filling, you can keep the cake out for up to 24 hours. If you do use perishable ingredients in the icing or filing you will need to keep it cold so I would not use fondant in that case!! You can safely store unused fondant in the refigerator if it is well wrapped in plastic wrap though!! I double wrap it and then place it in an airtight container jus to be safe!

Hope that helps!!

I'm not the OP, but thanks for the great tips!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!!

I plan to start practicing my marshmellow fondant soon. I wouldn't want to mess up and have a disaster for my hubby's b-day party. But I love the look of fondant!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    For those who care to see my creations- here you go. I tried and tried baking the cakes from scratch (threw away 6 cakes) but with the additional step of coloring the batter, I kept deflating my eggs and they'd come out really thin. At least, that's my theory. I did keep 1 layer for middle that was homemade and too yummy for me not to include. The top and bottom layer, well credit goes to Betty Crocker. :happy:

I made my BC icing from a recipe I found online that supposedly held up good in the heat. It did!!! I also managed to sneak in a bit of butter in it even though recipe didn't call for it. The sprinkles on the cupcakes were homemade and perfect as well.

My decoration needs some practice but for first time, I'll take it. I was SO frustrated by the end that I wasn't even going to decorate it but the man convinced me and that's what came out. The green also was supposed to be darker but eh. I was TIRED. I will keep practicing and will be enrolling in the Wilton classes for next month since I missed them for July. It took me 2 days to complete this but I loved it! I'd love to make some b-day cakes for my family in the next few months...

Oh and I chickened out on the writing. The "drawing" was stressful enough. So no "happy birthday" on there but we had candles!

3 layer multi colored cake:

5377474.jpg

042-3.jpg

Ugly slice (leftovers) of cake since I forgot to take a pic of a pretty colorful slice!

269081_10150249610909471_760349470_7710623_2392700_n-1.jpg

First batch of cupcakes ever:

8420347.jpg

306485.jpg

Thank you all so much for the help!!!!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    It turned out GREAT!
  • La_Amazona
    Options