To lose or to tone?

Options
x_Vicky_x_86
x_Vicky_x_86 Posts: 37 Member
edited August 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm a bit tied between whether I need to lose weight or to just do the right exercises to tone the fatty problem areas. I'm 5ft 2" and about 8.2 stone at the moment, have been advised at the hospital (for fertility purposes) to keep my bmi around 20 (was then 19.1) and not to get much leaner but I can't help feeling like my thighs are huge and way too wobbly, amongst other areas, so I don't know what to do, should I eat enough calories to maintain my weight or will I need to lose weight all over with cardio to shift the wobble of my thighs? Currently using the exercise bike most days to try to tackle them, tia

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    "toning" is just losing weight while doing strength training. You can try re-composition. that is eat at maintenance level while getting adequate protein and taking part in a progressive strength training program. This is a slow process but is a way to lose fat and gain some muscle at the same time, keeping your weight relatively the same. There are threads on MFP regarding this process or you can Google.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit ties between whether I need to lose weight or to just do the right exercise to tone the fatty problem areas. I'm 5ft 2" and about 8.2 stone at the moment, have been advised at the hospital to keep my bmi around 20 and not to get much leaner but I can't help feeling like my thighs are huge and way too wobbly, amongst other areas, so I don't know what to do, should I eat enough calories to maintain my weight or will I need to lose weight all over with cardio to shift the wobble of my thighs? Currently using the exercise bike most days to try to tackle them, tia

This worries me that there is an ED in your past. True? I am hesitant to give advice if that is the case.

I agree that strength training may deal with the issues you are explaining.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm a bit ties between whether I need to lose weight or to just do the right exercise to tone the fatty problem areas. I'm 5ft 2" and about 8.2 stone at the moment, have been advised at the hospital to keep my bmi around 20 and not to get much leaner but I can't help feeling like my thighs are huge and way too wobbly, amongst other areas, so I don't know what to do, should I eat enough calories to maintain my weight or will I need to lose weight all over with cardio to shift the wobble of my thighs? Currently using the exercise bike most days to try to tackle them, tia

This worries me that there is an ED in your past. True? I am hesitant to give advice if that is the case.

I've never been diagnosed with an ED no, I'm just quite cautious about putting on weight, still give into treats on a regular basis and enjoy food a great deal, just feel I want to be in better shape, can't figure the whole having too much fat in some areas but not being classed as overweight/being a regular dress size etc. A lot of people tell me I don't look like I need to worry but the wobbles bother me & not feeling in proportion, also want to be healthier in prep for starting a family, the hospital said this as they said any lower isn't good for the reproductive system.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    You can't "tone" fat. To lose it, you eat a moderate calorie deficit consistently. You can "tone up" muscle underneath fat with resistance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I've never been diagnosed with an ED no, I'm just quite cautious about putting on weight, still give into treats on a regular basis and enjoy food a great deal, just feel I want to be in better shape, can't figure the whole having too much fat in some areas but not being classed as overweight/being a regular dress size etc. A lot of people tell me I don't look like I need to worry but the wobbles bother me & not feeling in proportion, also want to be healthier in prep for starting a family, the hospital said this as they said any lower isn't good for the reproductive system.

Good to know. Weight lifting, heavy (for you), would be my suggestion!
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    MFP suggests I eat 1200 calories a day which most days I can stick to, just not always a strict as I should be with myself. I try to workout for 30-40 minutes 5 days a week on my stationary bike along with using a heart rate monitor to try to track whether I'm working hard enough! Also recently bought a mini trampoline, figured cardio will help lose fat, the bike perhaps tone bottom half at the same time gradually? Also do walking for 30 minutes 3-4 days a week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests I eat 1200 calories a day which most days I can stick to, just not always a strict as I should be with myself. I try to workout for 30-40 minutes 5 days a week on my stationary bike along with using a heart rate monitor to try to track whether I'm working hard enough! Also recently bought a mini trampoline, figured cardio will help lose fat, the bike perhaps tone bottom half at the same time gradually? Also do walking for 30 minutes 3-4 days a week.

Based on what you said yours goals are, you don't need cardio. You can do it as it allows you to eat more, as well as other helath benefits. But your goal requires strength training to maintain the muscle you already have, and a small deficit to continue to lose fat. set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and find a good program. Take a look at you are your own gym, starting strength, strong curves, or new rules of lifting.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Based on what you said yours goals are, you don't need cardio. You can do it as it allows you to eat more, as well as other helath benefits. But your goal requires strength training to maintain the muscle you already have, and a small deficit to continue to lose fat. set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and find a good program. Take a look at you are your own gym, starting strength, strong curves, or new rules of lifting.

Ok, I think I will continue the cardio for the health benefits & because like you say, it allows me to eat more so I can be a little less strict some days if I want to, but I will perhaps now start to include some basic strength training & work my way up, thank you for the advice, I take it all in as I really have no clue whether I'm doing the right thing or not, just want to find that balance of keeping a healthy weight but having good shape too. Think I'm currently set to lose 1lb per week as always used to think I needed to be down to 7.5 stone, but have been below 8 before & had comments about not looking very healthy/ladylike so I think it is more building more muscle tone and working with what I've got than becoming a twig!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Good to know. Weight lifting, heavy (for you), would be my suggestion!

Agreed, especially since you were told not to lose any more weight/fat (assuming that's still the case).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I will say from past experience, you do need to keep your body fat up if you are trying to get pregnant. If you are a pear shape, unfortunately you are going to have to learn to live with some wobble until after you have kids and aren't concerned about BF%. Weight training/cycling will help build up the muscles in your legs and make them look less wobbly as others have recommended.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Also....to help you out some....7.5 stone is 105lbs. I'm 5'2" and 98lbs (7 stone) and still have huge thighs (my waist is 24" and my thighs are 20"). So I don't think you'd be happy without going way too low to get pregnant.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's nice to get the reassurance to help put my mind at rest a bit with it as some days are a real battle with myself, I do worry about what I look like but am trying to learn to accept that this probably is just my shape, and like you say will have to be for now as I am hoping to become pregnant so do need to keep some of my fat, just it is that I am pear shaped so it is all mainly on my lower half. My waist is 27" and thighs 21", not ideal, but I will take all advice in and keep working at developing a better shape and slightly less wobble if anything, won't go mad though, just maintain as would hate it to shoot up too much. Thank you all :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Also....to help you out some....7.5 stone is 105lbs. I'm 5'2" and 98lbs (7 stone) and still have huge thighs (my waist is 24" and my thighs are 20"). So I don't think you'd be happy without going way too low to get pregnant.

I am concerned you would think 20" is huge thighs
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Wobbly thighs?
    Squat it till you're hot (as in sweating and panting from progressively heavy squats)
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Walk lots / run if you like to

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

Do not eat at a defecit against medical advice
    Do not drop weight against medical advice

I cycle and walk but find my knee joints struggle with doing squats regularly, I used to squat and use a treadmill before but it caused problems, my knees now make awful noises when I climb stairs! So aim to do what I can with exercise a bit easier on the joints.
    I do need to review what I do eat more as even though I try to be healthy I do need to up my protein a lot.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options

I am concerned you would think 20" is huge thighs

Mine are 21", i used to horse ride 3 times a week and that was the only time I've ever gotten them into any shape and actually been happy with them! Unable to ride so much now, so got the bike as some kind of alternative. But yeah I do compare myself a lot to people walking down the street but they probably aren't half as bad as I think they look at times, hubby is always telling me they are just fine!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Wobbly thighs?
    Squat it till you're hot (as in sweating and panting from progressively heavy squats)
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

I cycle and walk but find my knee joints struggle with doing squats regularly, I used to squat and use a treadmill before but it caused problems, my knees now make awful noises when I climb stairs! So aim to do what I can with exercise a bit easier on the joints.
    I do need to review what I do eat more as even though I try to be healthy I do need to up my protein a lot.

I would almost bet your squat form is wrong...that's 90% of the reason people complain of bad knees

It would be worthwhile getting a trainer to form check / work on form with you

Also 21" thighs is slim
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

1200 isn't your maintenance. If the hospital told you not to lose any more weight, you need to listen to them and eat appropriately for your goal.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Wobbly thighs?
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

I would almost bet your squat form is wrong...that's 90% of the reason people complain of bad knees

Also 21" thighs is slim

20-21" may measure on the slim side but if they're primarily fat it doesn't come off that way. Especially on a short body. I'm 5'4" with 20.5" thighs and despite losing 40lbs and a year of lifting they're still far from looking slim.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Wobbly thighs?
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

Also 21" thighs is slim

20-21" may measure on the slim side but if they're primarily fat it doesn't come off that way. Especially on a short body. I'm 5'4" with 20.5" thighs and despite losing 40lbs and a year of lifting they're still far from looking slim.

Did you miss that she has been medically advised not to lose weight but in fact to get her BMI up to 20?