First time going to a gym

Hi all so been going to the gym for about 5 weeks now I had a weigh in I've not lost pounds or inches disappointed in myself.
I know my eating could be better this week I have been fairly strict on what I've eaten going to weigh today see if it's worked feeling deflated.

Keara

Replies

• yammycruz33
    yammycruz33 Posts: 1 Member
    Don't give up, it's not easy. If it was we would all be fit. Find a cardio machine you like best and pusg yourself. As for your eating habits, they are very important. Whatever you do in the gym, won't matter unless your eating habits are on piont. Read labels, make changes to you meals, eat less but more frequently.
    Once you find the combination your body likes, you will start seeing results.
    I started back 2 weeks ago, after surgery that added 20lbs to my weight. I'm down 4 lbs. I eat 5 times a day, 3 meals and 2 snacks, all healthy. And its difficult since our company cater our daily lunches, restaurants room. Not healthy, loaded with fats, carbs, and sodium. I pack my lunch.
    If you want this for yourself. Go for it, all the way.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Going to the gym is for health, diet is for weightloss. Its been said a million times on here but its true.

Get a food scale and weight everything. Even if you eat "unhealthy" foods stay in your calorie limit and youll lose weight.

Go to the gym and do cardio for heart health and lift weights to maintain muscle mass while you lose.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Muscle is more dense than fat. So it is very possible you're losing body fat and gaining muscle.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2016
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Muscle is more dense than fat. So it is very possible you're losing body fat and gaining muscle.

Sorry but this isnt very likely....

Assuming you were in a calorie deficit muscle gains would be minimal, and not likely enough to off set weight loss. If you just started working out you could see less weight loss from your muscles retaining more water though.

The reason you arent losing is because youre not in a calorie deficit. Or have another medical issue making weight loss hard.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Hang in there Keara !
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Going to the gym is for health, diet is for weightloss. Its been said a million times on here but its true.

Get a food scale and weight everything. Even if you eat "unhealthy" foods stay in your calorie limit and youll lose weight.

Go to the gym and do cardio for heart health and lift weights to maintain muscle mass while you lose.

^^^^^
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Diet is WAY more important than exercise for weight loss, so your first order of business needs to be getting your tracking under control.

However, any time you start or change an exercise routine, it's common to see some temporary water retention for muscle repair, and that can mask weight loss in the short term. After 5 weeks, that should resolve itself, but if you haven't been in a deficit the whole time, you can't really be sure. Get your eating under control, and give it another 2-4 weeks.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Keep at it, my scale stopped moving so I've ditched it and relying on my clothes how they fit.