One dumb breadstick!!!!

Options
I had Olive Garden for lunch today and found out that one of their breadsticks is 150 calories!
after finding that out, it was so easy for me not to eat that thing!!!

I remember the days of eating 3-4 of those breadsticks along with my meal!!!! YIKES!

~when you know better...DO BETTER~

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yeppers! We love Olive Garden. But we haven't been there since our journey began on MFP. Too much at stake for those stupid bread sticks.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    yikes! good job on making an informed decision!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    YIKES! I love those too, although haven't been to Olive Garden in quite a while... Good to know for the future, though!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't like the rolls at Texas Roadhouse (227 calories). :cry:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    It is horribly disgusting to think that if a breadstick is 150 cals, then imagine the rest of the meal!!! I have never been to Olive Garden, and honestly dont ever intend on going. I wont risk my weight and my calories on them!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    yea and I eat like 5 every time I go.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love your last sentence: "When you know better, DO BETTER!".
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    yikes, wonder how many in a Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuit. So good but so bad.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The only time I go to Olive Garden are nights before marathons... carbo loading...
  • masonmst
    masonmst Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I love those breadsticks too! WTG on not giving in to temptation!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shame because they are so yummy! The lack of whole grain bread options, whether breadsticks, rolls or buns, in restaurants is a pet peeve of mine. I might not mind the extra calories if I knew it was whole grain. But I usually just ask servers not to even bring bread to the table.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Personally I love Olive Garden; especially their breadsticks. I have the willpower and can limit myself to just one. It just means a little extra time during my workout. Plus the fact that I only eat there once or twice a year makes it completely worth it to me.
  • nikkidee1983
    Options
    I found out that one of my fav desserts is over 700 calories so I opted for sharing it instead of eating it alone. Saved half the calories.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    Same for Fazoli's - and I love Fazoli's (and would take it ANY day over Olive Garden which I hate with all of my heart).
  • mrsjohnson75
    mrsjohnson75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good for you :) Its all about choices.
  • stepha1013
    stepha1013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love the cheddar bay biscuits at Red Lobster. I have a figure friendly recipe below. My husband says they are better than Red Lobster's.

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

2 tbsp butter, melted
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
    3.5 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (Cabot 50% reduced fat)
    2/3 cup fat free milk

Preheat oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Melt butter in a small frying pan, add half the garlic and saute on low heat about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add parsley.

In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, cheddar cheese, and remaining garlic. Stir in milk and mix (do not over mix). Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls (1.5 oz each) onto prepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes. Brush or drizzle biscuits with melted butter. Bake for 5 more minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One really good thing Olive Garden does is those Dolcini desserts. It's like a shot of dessert so you can just eat a tiny bit. We share one and that way we get dessert without blowing our calories. Those breadsticks though... man I remember eating tons of those things WITH the alfredo dipping sauce! Ugh! Once you start paying attention, you realize how easy it is to get fat!!! WTG on your willpower!! :-D
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One really good thing Olive Garden does is those Dolcini desserts. It's like a shot of dessert so you can just eat a tiny bit. We share one and that way we get dessert without blowing our calories. Those breadsticks though... man I remember eating tons of those things WITH the alfredo dipping sauce! Ugh! Once you start paying attention, you realize how easy it is to get fat!!! WTG on your willpower!! :-D

Me too! Used to work there as a host and the servers would bring me out a basket and a serving of alfredo sauce. Good thing that was on nights I was power walking the restaurant as a host for a good three hours or I would have been huge!

FYI: they literally paint the butter on those breadsticks with a paintbrush. That is where all the calories come from I am sure!
  • Stumbleine
    Stumbleine Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shame because they are so yummy! The lack of whole grain bread options, whether breadsticks, rolls or buns, in restaurants is a pet peeve of mine. I might not mind the extra calories if I knew it was whole grain. But I usually just ask servers not to even bring bread to the table.

Seriously! I don't understand the lack of whole grain in restaurants. I mean, they don't have to go completely whole grain, but where are the options?!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    well obviously, i have a long long long way to go. i am now salivating just thinking about one breadstick. i'm going to go drink some water. :-(