Starting running...How?

Options
Hi,
I was thinking about starting up jogging/running...but I can only run for like 1 min each time then need to walk.. I've never ran in my life, i feel embarrassed to run on the street but there isn't anywhere else to lol. How did you guys get past this..? :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit.

You can use an app to train you, too.

I used the Couch to 5K program (developed by sports scientists) app by Zen Labs, which literally gets you from the couch to running a full 5 km.

It took me 10 weeks, running/walking 3 times a week.

I started it in September last year.

It has you run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit.

It was a great start to my running habit. Since then, I've fallen totally in love with running.

I ran 21 km without stopping in June.

Best wishes, @AshleighAnn72 !

Exactly this! I knew I wanted to take up running last year when I was first losing weight and all I knew was I couldn't last longer than a minute. My big problem was my pacing; I assumed to be considered running, you needed to go at your max speed. I was so wrong.

I also chose the C25K app by Zen Labs. There are others, sure, but I really felt like that app was the best. They have a free and paid version; I got the paid version of it and I didn't regret it one bit. I started it last June and finished that summer. I went from 30 seconds of running and having to stop to going for 30 minutes without stopping by the end of that program. I cannot sing its praises enough.

I moved onto the 10K trainer after that but, due to the weather outside after a while, I couldn't run in the park anymore so I stopped. However, I missed running so much and would run on and off when it hit spring, so I just restarted the 10K trainer last week. I moved right onto the week they leave off C25K graduates because I felt like I could handle it even after the long break. I completed the week with ease and could have kept on running without the rest prompts, so the improvements you see from C25K will stay with you if you keep active! I have 5 more weeks of the 10K trainer and will be moving on to the 13.1 half marathon trainer after that. I never ever thought I would be running, but here I am. Good luck!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k. :) Take it slow, and don't be afraid to repeat a day, or even a week, if you need to. Good luck!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    +1 for c25k

A few tips:
    -run slow. Even if you can walk faster than you are running, that's ok. The goal is to build endurance, speed will come later.
    -repeat weeks if you need to. It took me three tries to get through the program. The difference with the successful attempt was that I repeated weeks if I didn't feel ready to move on.
    -mindset makes a difference. Running is just as much mental as it is physical. If you think you can't, you won't. If you believe in yourself, you can accomplish more than you imagine.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k. I've used it before and have recently restarted the c25k as exercise wasn't a priority when my horse had to undergo an operation and rehab work. I use the zen labs one. I would definitely recommend getting decent shoes, as these make a lot of difference. Just make sure you get them fitted so you get the right type for your feet/gait.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Also look up the Galloway method.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I hate c25k, it's boring. I started with intervals and Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds on Youtube. As I got better, I started progressing to jogging, and worked up from there.
  • lnd0718
    lnd0718 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    one foot in front of the other. sounds silly but, when I stopped focusing on how much it sucked and how "bad" I was at running it gets better. And, I tell myself this a lot just one foot in front of the other. You will quickly find out that running is way more mental than physical after you lay a bit of foundation.
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever got was to go slower. Even if you're jogging at your walking past, do it anyways. You'll naturally get faster as you go.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Download a free interval timer for your phone. Aim to run/walk 3-4 times a week.

First week walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute. Repeat 30-45 minutes total.
    Second week walk 3 minutes, run 1.5 minutes. Repeat..
    Third week walk 3 minutes, run 2 minutes. Repeat.
    Fourth week walk 2 minutes, run 3 minutes.

By that point you can try adding in an 'extended' run of 5-10 minutes and see how it feels. The body is an amazing thing, and when you 'train' it - it improves quickly.

Hi,
    I was thinking about starting up jogging/running...but I can only run for like 1 min each time then need to walk.. I've never ran in my life, i feel embarrassed to run on the street but there isn't anywhere else to lol. How did you guys get past this..? :)

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm running a few miles every other day thanks to C25K, and I never ran before. Not even as a teenager (horribly unathletic).
    I like the Zen Labs app, but you can just just do the intervals mentioned above if you prefer. There's also a zombie-based app that adds a storyline to your training.

My own tips - run slow. So, so slow. Barely faster than you walk. Speed comes as you add distance. And, I think running outside is way more fun than indoors.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I know people say put one foot in front of the other, but it's NOT actually that simple. Consider your posture, read up on running form, think about your body as you run, think about what's in front of you and how you are going to place your feet. Don't lean back when running downhill - all you are doing is putting the brakes on and possibly jamming on your heels. Lean forward from the ankles, use your arms to help you run and keep loose.

thinking about HOW I run keeps me occupied DURING my run and helps me get through some of the boring bits.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i did zen labs c25k
    i got fitted for shoes at a running store too. most have workshops and running groups.
    overall, I've found that the running community is extremely supportive

i run mostly indoors, so then i can watch tv on the treadmill.

i also started running early in the morning with my dog. less people to stare at me-not that they did but that's what i thought
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Another Couch to 5k vote here. I started where you are a year and a half ago, could barely run for a full minute. I finished my first half marathon in June.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Running outside is AWESOME. Its very different than a treadmill. I am NOT a fast runner and long ago gave up hopes of that changing. But I was amazed to learn I run faster outside. On a treadmill I run 5.0 mph. Outside I average about 5.25 mph with some walking intervals factored in.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i run faster outside too. so i like running mostly indoors and surprising myself with a few outside runs
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with C25k and go slow. I'm just going to take it a step further and suggest what my physical therapist, who has been helping me with running form due to an injury, suggested to me. Grab a metronome app, pick a cadence you want to achieve, or steps per minute, and do not go faster than that. So each beat is when your foot hits the ground. It really helps keep your form correct while starting out, and if you're running outside, it helps you keep a decent pace without tiring yourself out. You could even use music. I set up Spotify by entering the cadence I want, and Spotify finds the music with that many beats per minute. By doing that, I find myself tiring out less and running pain free because my form is a tad bit better than the newbie form I had going prior.

I know it's quite a bit to think about, but I wish I would've been doing this from the start. But hindsight is 20/20. :lol: