Is this pizza?

Options

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Yeah... no. That's not a pizza. That's a savory pie.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not pizza, not lasagna, not pie, not quiche.
    I would call it a generic Italian food flavored tomato bean casserole in a bread crust?
    I probably wouldn't make it but it is probably okay tasting.
  • debradonothin
    debradonothin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is it looks delicious!!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    That's a tofu quiche, vegan pizza is really easy to do.

Seriously. You can do regular flour + water + yeast for crust, tomato sauce and either daiya if you want cheese or veggies.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It seems like there is a lot going on in this photo. That dish is having an identity crisis. The shape of it suggests pie. The black eyed peas don't suggest pizza, but perhaps might be okay in lasagna.
    I'd second the "okay" tasting, which makes it sound like a hefty investment, ingredient wise, for something that is 'meh'...but that's my own opinion..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    That is not pizza. It is sadness.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    whatever it is i want it
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not a quiche, since most of those use eggs to firm up the filling. It looks like a chicago-style deep dish pizza to me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's lasagne with a crust. Pie? Maybe. Not a pizza.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The thought of eating "pizza" without cheese makes me sick.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Reads more like a casserole with a crust to me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't know what that is, but it aint pizza. I eat a fair amount of vegan stuff but I wouldn't eat that. Tofu is not ricotta, and all I can think of when I saw the black eyed peas is the Grouplove song Beans On Pizza.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It's vegan... I wouldn't classify it as food.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Wow, so many vegan haters. Lucky you guys don't suffer from food allergies.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Y'all make me laugh with your descriptions of "topless pot pies" and "casserole with a crust". In the rest of the world, we call these things "pies", and "pizza" is just Italian for "pie". Google "pizza rustica" for an example.

And traditional pizza of the flatbread-with-toppings variety does not have to have cheese, several traditional Italian versions do not.

I would try this.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely seems more like a pot pie to me, rather than (any kind of) North American style pizza. I'm not big on any kind of cheese substitutes, even though I'm lactose intolerant, so I probably wouldn't eat it. But you could tweak the recipe a bit and have something that appealed to me.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's not even food
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Being vegan is not the route to avoiding food allergies for a large number of people ..because many people are allergic to vegan foods

• Colorscheme
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Being vegan is not the route to avoiding food allergies for a large number of people ..because many people are allergic to vegan foods

Yeah but I was talking about common food allergens like eggs, milk and dairy. I know some people are allergic to soy but my point was that sometimes you have to eat vegan due to food allergies. Like, I don't trust anyone with food I haven't made myself anymore due to people saying "oh no it doesn't have eggs", then me eating it and having an allergic reaction because it turns out it does. Stuff like that is very serious. And since I am allergic to eggs [not just yolks, the entire egg including the whites], vegan options are the safest for me.

It's not funny to experience anaphylaxis because someone else conveniently forgot they put eggs in something.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Yeah but I was talking about common food allergens like eggs, milk and dairy. I know some people are allergic to soy but my point was that sometimes you have to eat vegan due to food allergies. Like, I don't trust anyone with food I haven't made myself anymore due to people saying "oh no it doesn't have eggs", then me eating it and having an allergic reaction because it turns out it does. Stuff like that is very serious. And since I am allergic to eggs [not just yolks, the entire egg including the whites], vegan options are the safest for me.

It's not funny to experience anaphylaxis because someone else conveniently forgot they put eggs in something.

OK, but you are looking at it in a very narrow way, based on your allergies. Some of the most dangerous allergies are to nuts. A vegan diet isn't necessarily going to help with that.