Reasons for starting the weight loss journey

Options
Hey,
What's your reason(s) for starting to lose weight?

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    1) To look healthy
    2) To feel healthy
    3) To be able to buy normal sized clothes
    4) To not have any health problems
    5) To not be classified as being obese

That's my top 5 answers.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    1. I want to be small but strong
    2. I hate feeling so uncomfortable in my own skin
    3. I want to stop the body contortions every time I need to wipe myself after going to the loo. Actually, all pelvic area hygiene area attendance is a pain and I'm not getting the area clean enough.
    4. I feel so much better and healthier and bouncier when I eat properly.
    5. I want to look smokin hot (yes I'm being very vain lol)
  • pdgoffin
    pdgoffin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight. Not outrageously so 5lbs above the top of 'normal' so about 15 above the middle of the band.

But since we had kids, various life changes and stresses have meant I went up by a few pounds here and a few more there until in May this year (2016) I was 210lbs (BMI about 32, I think) with bp 180/95 and my doctor asked me to come in for a blood test to check for diabetes, etc.

Well, for whatever reason, I felt like I really could do something now. I don't know what the psychological 'switch' was but I started on my weight loss journey then and by the time I actually had the blood tests 3 weeks later* I was walking an average 12000 steps a day and had lost 9lbs. My bp had fallen to 134/80 in just that short time too. Wonderful thing, walking.

Anyway, the blood tests came back and I'm clear on everything so I consider I've caught myself in time and I am determined to hit my target - to be in and stay in that 'normal' range. I've now lost just over 30lbs and have about 20 more to go.

I'm lucky I don't have to go into work in August because I don't have many clothes that fit right now. I look ridiculous in the ones I was wearing in May and though I can get into the one I intend to wear next month, they are 'snug' so there's a reminder there if I do feel I can take a fews days off the program that I really can't! (I've not felt that way yet.)

Anyway, getting back to the question..

I don't really have A reason. I've never been happy being overweight, we all know it's unhealthy, etc. It's just that, right now, I'm in a mental state to fix it.

*I was not an urgent case and the dept was short staffed because of holidays so I couldn't get an appointment until then.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I was overweight.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I don't want to be.

And I'm weak and I don't want to be.

Its pretty much that simple!
  • lc63
    lc63 Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To be comfortable in my own skin and not dread social outings etc as I cant find a thing to wear that I feel comfortable in! Also, more energy, general happiness and general health. I really find working out gives me more energy and gives my mood a boost in the right direction. 20 pounds down ideally probably another 20 to go. Im enjoying the journey and feeling great!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To be the best version of myself.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I wanted to wear more than one pair of khaki jeans for the next 40 years.
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Because i would like to keep my clother and not buy larger ones and for my asthma
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Because it is part of my overall efforts to continually improve myself. I have made massive positive changes in my life over the past several years and getting control of my weight and relationship with food is the next big challenge.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,104 Member
    Options
    I was struggling cycling up hills ... and I couldn't fit in my cycling jacket anymore!!
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My initial reason was pure rage - my cousin posts absolutely every detail of her life on Facebook, but she had weight loss surgery about 3 months ago and never mentioned anything about it. She only told her parents and my mom, because my mom watched her kid while she was in the hospital. My mom told me about it, and I thought... ok, that's her decision. But now my cousin is posting all this stuff about her losing 50 + pounds, needing new clothes, how happy she is, etc. When people ask how she did it, she told them it was all hard work - diet and exercise. NO MENTION OF THE SURGERY! She outright lied about it and I got so angry I decided to prove people could lose weight without surgery. All of her friends are overweight and she lied to them!

Now, only 11 days into the diet / exercise routine, I feel so much better that I don't need the anger to keep me on my goals. I know there will be days that I just want to eat junk and lay around, so I will probably have to revisit the anger at some point. But I won't let it be the only thing that drives me.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I started because I honestly don't like myself. Not just physically (though that was a good part of it), I just felt crappy all around. Depressed, anxious, very overweight. I've lost 30 lbs in the last 7 months, could I do better? yeah. Am I happy with that number? Absolutely. In these 30 lbs I've learned to like myself a little more and I haven't been as depressed (this stint I've been in and out of the last two weeks not included) either. Is it hard? yes. Am I going to give up? No. I might fall off and be a little slow to get back up but I keep pushing. Slow progress, is better than no progress and it's more about loving myself and bettering myself than losing the weight.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    What's your reason(s) for starting to lose weight?

That's easy for anyone to answer.

For me...

First reason - I had gotten overweight for a few years in my 40's and wanted to reverse that.
    Second reason - my cholesterol numbers had risen and required statins to lower them (l'm off the meds now as losing the weight took care of it).
    Third reason - less weight means less of me to carry around (up hills, up the stairs, on the bike).

End result: back to my healthy weight that I was before I got off track for a few years in my 40's.

28204051442_5847f2c625_b.jpg
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to be the skinny kid. So much so that I was often teased about it. Stayed that way for a long time, until my 30's, then it started to slowly creep up. I looked at a picture of myself from about a year after I retired from active duty and was appalled at how heavy I had gotten (guessing around 210~215, didn't have a scale at the time). Lost some weight over 2 years, but didn't get serious about it until three months ago and am almost out of the "overweight" category for most forms of measuring such things.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Last summer I went to a concert in Chicago and it was super hot. I had a deep dish pizza designed for 1 person and a beer. On the ride home I felt like crap and asked myself "why am i doing this to myself?" and the next day I started recording everything i ate and lost 80 pounds. I still have days where i do something stupid like walking 2 miles to dairy queen and eat a blizzard and ask myself the same question but, it's much less now
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well... in 2013, I was doing boot camp classes several days a week, sometimes twice a day. I was in the best shape of my life!! In Dec of 2013, I got pregnant but continued to do bootcamp through May. Had a quick delivery (I think the exercise helped). I have not done one lick of exercise since my last bootcamp session. I have gained 25 lbs.. I weigh more than I did when I started bootcamp! And, to top it all off, I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I had gestational diabetes but I never thought I'd be one that ended up developing type 2. So, to be very blunt, I need to get my fat *kitten* in shape so I can hopefully get off this medication.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Last summer I went to a concert in Chicago and it was super hot. I had a deep dish pizza designed for 1 person and a beer. On the ride home I felt like crap and asked myself "why am i doing this to myself?" and the next day I started recording everything i ate and lost 80 pounds. I still have days where i do something stupid like walking 2 miles to dairy queen and eat a blizzard and ask myself the same question but, it's much less now

Well at least you walk two miles!