I have an appointment at a gym tomorrow....

Options
c_ramey
c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
I have an appointment at a gym tomorrow, they are offering a special for new people- $16.00 a month for one person. I have never stepped a foot in a gym. My question is what qualifies as a good gym, what do I need to look for etc. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but check out the showers and toilets. If they're clean and well maintained then the chances are the gym equipment will also be maintained properly.
  • piedmone
    piedmone Posts: 3
    Options
    The very best gym is the one you will actually go to. There's evidence that it should be less than 5 miles away. It needs, at the very least, to be a place that you don't hate: the smell, the peopIe, the locker room layout. There is a Gold's very close to my house, but I can't stand it -- too many spray-on tan, boob-job, botox creatures -- and drive farther to go to a more working-class Gold's. It still has people who annoy me (hello! yacking on cellphone folks!), but I like it much better. Still, the best gym is the one you'll go to. Good luck.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but check out the showers and toilets. If they're clean and well maintained then the chances are the gym equipment will also be maintained properly.

This.

I would also stop by during "peak" hours, say 3:00pm - 6:00pm and check for availability of equipment.
  • Pinocchio1977
    Pinocchio1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your interests are and what you plan on doing while at the gym..For example - are you into classes, if so does the $16.00 cover them? Are you going to use the treadmills- if yes, how many are there so you aren't hanging around waiting while you are there. Cleanliness of the gym/locker rooms is an important thing to pay attention to as well as how the staff interacts with the members. I usually ask when their peak times are so I can plan my workouts around them to maximize workout time.

Good luck!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A good gym to me is one that you feel comfortable in, staff is friendly, and staff will help you out if there is a piece of equipment that you don't know how to use.

Some people really like taking classes, so if that is important to you than ask them for a class schedule and if the classes are included in the membership. The gym I go to most of the classes are included except Zumba I think.

Also look to see if they have variety of equipment, you don't want to get bored with your workouts. When looking at the equipment, is there a decent amount of cardio machines for the amount of people that work out there. You don't want to have to wait an hour everyday just to get on a machine.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    number of machines (like, 10 ellipticals? or 4? treadmills? stairmasters?) quality of equipment, is there a wait time for machines? hours of operation, classes offered, proximity to your home/ work, cancellation policy? pool? these are just some things I would look for
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I agree with fionat29 but also the attentiveness of the employees. Of course if its one of those 24 hour type of gyms where you can go anytime then they may not have many empolyees. The 24 hour type in my area are pretty nice and well kept however. Services offered like trainers, classes, workout areas and studios, towels, etc. You will get a feel the minute you walk in. Good luck.
  • lucasbenjani44
    lucasbenjani44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For a first time gym user i would say its very important that you feel comfortable when in there. You need to feel that you can go there regularly without feeling unease.

Speak to the trainers/ staff and see if they are friendly and genuinley interested in you and your personal gym needs. There is nothing worse than you feeling like 'just another number' which will result in you paying your money and never going!

All though you are there to ultimatley get fit/lose weight, you are also there believe it or not to enjoy yourself and have a bit of fun - hence the need to feel comfortable with the gym and be able to feel you can approach the staff whenever you need help or advice!

Once last tip - having a 'training partner' is very useful, and will also make you feel a lot more comfortable there, see if you can persuade a friend or family member to come with you!

good luck!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

I'm big into checking those 2 areas, cannot stand if it's dirty there.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was gym newbie in January and what I like about my gym(X Sport Fitness) is that it's very convenient. It's open 24/7 and it not only is a gym, but also has tanning and a spa. It's also not very far from my house(like a 5 min car ride). Even though it is a 24/7 gym, they have a lot of employees and the spa desk girls know me by name. There was one time that I left my jewelry in the room after tanning, and they actually walked around the gym to try and find me and return it. That right there sold me on my gym and let me know that they are honest people.

Also make sure you know the gym's cancelation policy, should you ever decide to stop going there. I know that for my gym as long as you went 10 times and had one free personal training session, if you didn't like it after 30 days then you got all your money back. Longer then that and you need to write a letter or something to corporate requesting that your membership is cancelled.

Like everyone else said, make sure the locker rooms, toilets and showers are clean. See if you need to bring you're own lock for the lockers, and make sure the equipment is clean. See if people actually wipe it down after using it, or just leave it all sweaty. If they don't, then see if there is staff going around doing it.

You'll have to let us know how it goes!
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info..... This gym has tons of classes (from Zumba to Guts and Butts), Aqua aerobic classes, indoor walking/running track, indoor heated pool, steam rooms, jacuzzis, dry saunas. It also has several different types of equipment listed on the flyer. Also has listed- an orientation class for all equipment, personal trainers, tanning, etc. It sounds like a nice place, but I will be checking out the showers, bathrooms, and all the mentioned items before I decided that!! lol I guess the only drawback is that I live about 15 minutes away from it, but for me to go to any gym I would have to drive that distance.

Thanks again!