Weightloss/ body building

Options
Ok I have a question and not sure what would be best I want to lose weight but also want a nice lean body building tone. Should I lose the weight first then start lifting to tone. I kinda have a vision in mind and want to do what will best help me get there.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lift as you lose.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Do both. You won't regret it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Do both.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have at least 50lbs to lose
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lifting now will help prevent muscle loss. You will also strengthen your muscles and can build some muscle while in a deficit, given proper nutrition (reasonable deficit and eating enough protein.) When you wait, you dig yourself a bit of a hole that you have to work out of while lifting while losing helps you move ahead a bit.
  • 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lift at the same time as losing, but it also has to do with calorie intake and how much you do.

• lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Ok thank you guys. I'll start looking for a beginners plan
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Lifting now will help prevent muscle loss. You will also strengthen your muscles and can build some muscle while in a deficit, given proper nutrition (reasonable deficit and eating enough protein.) When you wait, you dig yourself a bit of a hole that you have to work out of while lifting while losing helps you move ahead a bit.

Cardio and weights what do you think is the best plan between the two more cardio days or more weight days
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Cardio and weights what do you think is the best plan between the two more cardio days or more weight days

I hate to be wishy washy but I think it is dependent on goals and that can change over time, with the season, your circumstances, etc. For example, I believe that there are a few avid cyclists here on MFP who prioritize cycling in the "nicer" months and cut back a bit on lifting during those times. Then when the weather is not so nice they cut back on cycling and up their weekly lifting.

If you are a complete beginner, I'd say picking a 50/50 mix is a nice start. If you can exercise 6 days a week, that's 3 of each. If you can exercise 5 days a week, that's a 3/2 split one week and 2/3 split the next. Then over time you may find yourself leaning one way or the other. You can absolutely build and progress while lifting 2 days a week, if that is something that concerns you (i.e., what is the minimum.) I have done 2, 3, or 4 days of lifting at various times and they all have worked for me.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Do both. It takes a lot longer, but it's well worth it in the end. Plus as you gain more muscle, your BMR will go up and increase the amount of calories your body uses at rest.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Ok so I've been doing a little bit of both and I feel so much better. I'll start my workout with 10mins of high cardio then do weights then do 5 more mins of high cardio then for a cool down ot some balls at the fields. Hopefully I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Knee has been killing me due to my arthritis buy I just need to push myself if I ever want to see results. I'm tired of being fat I just want to be fit!
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Be careful with too much cardio- appetite multiplier!
    Get plenty of recovery time in too, or what your doing wont be sustainable. Enjoy the journey, dont rush it. :)
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Simply put if you are a true beginer who doesnt eat well or workout adding ANY exercise and diet will work well to start. I would agree that weights and cardio together are the right path but whatever you choose ease into it. Far too many beginers hit it to hard and get sore or just burn out and quit. Start slow and let your body and mind get used to it. You will start enjoying your workouts sooner than you think. Good luck.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    lifting weights and losing weight are not mutually exclusive. Do both. Lifting weights will not slow your weight loss progress at all since weight loss progress is really about CI vs CO.

Even if you build no muscle while losing weight, lifting now has multiple benefits:
    * You'll build strength, which will prime you to do the volume/intensity needed to build muscle later
    * You'll maintain all/most of your muscle
    * You'll learn form and proper technique
    * You'll build a habit and learn which routines you like and will stick to.

If you want big muscles (big being relative), then lifting should be a priority (sacrifice cardio over lifting), if you just want low body fat with visible muscles, then you can prioritize the cardio over weight lifting. It really depends on the body look you are going for. A 50/50 split is a good place to start.