Thirsty!!!

Options
Hello! Over the past few days I took up drinking more water. Previously I was drinking pretty much only water aside from my morning coffee, and sometimes tomato juice or carrot juice. However I wasn't drinking enough water. I was getting maybe 5 cups a day if you count my coffee. (some say it counts some say it doesn't) Anyhoo, water makes me thirsty. (NO, I am not diabetic, yes I am sure!) I was never thirsty before even when I wasn't drinking much in the first place. Now that I have increased It makes me feel extremely thirsty. I find I have to just walk away from the water cup, maybe suck on a piece of ice or something until the thirsty wears off. Eventually the dry feeling subsides. This isn't a constant thing though I have not been able to pin point when it happens the most.

I have a lot more energy as now I am feeling hydrated. I assume I was in a pretty well established under-hydrated state. For example, if I gently pull my bottom eye lid down it would not spring back into place, it slowly crept back in place. I feel that my appetite is not as voracious as it was also, and my sleep seems better and the bags under my eyes seem a little improved. So with all that I think I must have been at a real deficit.

I do like coconut water and I work that in lately also but one can only drink so much of that. What do you think causes the vicious cycle when drinking water? I wonder if chemicals in the water could be a culprit? Would filtering the water maybe help that out? What are some good things other than lemon to add to water make it less.... well.... watery???? I despise these little drink add-ins like crystal light and such, I hate Gatorade and Powerade. I would like it if water were more refreshing and less thirst inducing. Who else has has experienced this is willing to speak on their own experience? Thanks!

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium intake? Too much sodium can cause excessive thirst.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It varies really. That did not cross my min before. I will make a point to pay attention to that and see if it is the culprit. Thank you!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    It's been unusually hot here recently and I have been more thirsty. It could also be a normal response to increased heat if you live in an area experiencing it.
    Options
    Oh yeah. We are experiencing it. :p
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Why not just drink until you stop feeling thirsty? Water is good for you and there is no reason I can think of to not drink more if your body says it wants more.
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may be anemic. Desire to chew ice is one of the signs. Are you getting enough iron? Water by itself shouldn't make you more thirsty. My mother and I both fight anemia and eating ice is always a give away for both of us.
    Options
    Why not just drink until you stop feeling thirsty? Water is good for you and there is no reason I can think of to not drink more if your body says it wants more.

Yeah, that doesn't really work out. I feel sick from drinking so SO much. Last night for example, two 16 oz glasses of water later within an hour and I was just more thirsty. Sodium was mentioned, I didn't have as much of a sodium intake during my day as I had around dinner. Definitely more salt there most of the time. So that could be a factor.
    Options
    ptipton520 wrote: »
    Sounds like you may be anemic. Desire to chew ice is one of the signs. Are you getting enough iron? Water by itself shouldn't make you more thirsty. My mother and I both fight anemia and eating ice is always a give away for both of us.

I stay on top of my iron pretty good. I don't feel like chewing ice as a habit or anything. But that is a good thing to keep in mind.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am so thirsty I cannot get enough water, electrolyte drinks really help.
  • _pragma_
    _pragma_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Excessive thirst is one symptom of diabetes--not that it is what your issues if of course. Keep up with your hydration routine and if the thirst doesn't go away within a few days, talk to your doctor.

Also, if your carbohydrate intake is erratic, you can go from having diarrhea while carbs are low, due to the diuretic effect of low insulin levels, to having extreme dry mouth and thirst after consuming a large amount of carbs. Ask any bodybuilder. Fluctuating insulin levels have a dramatic effect on water retention and your ability to stay hydrated.

If it doesn't go away, by all means, contact your doctor.