Hair falling out - badly

Options
I've been on a 1200 calorie diet now for 7 months and I've lost around 46 pounds - yay. I still want to lose another 9-14 (135-140lb goal). However, within the last month I've noticed a LOT of my hair falling out everyday. It's actually to the point that it's thinning out. I take multivitamins (and hair and nails vitamins) and try to eat as healthy as possible...do you think it could be diet related?

Replies

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to go -- I think I may. Thank you.
  • girl_inflames
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Possibly. Google adrenal fatigue. Also if you have been restricting fat this can adversely affect hormone function (TSH) and could be a sign of hypothyroidism. I would go to your doctor for blood work.

I looked at the symptoms online -- and I have just recently lost my mother. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with adrenal fatigue. I'm definitely going to get this checked out. Thanks
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you get everyday? Protein deficiency can lead to hair loss.
  • girl_inflames
    Options

probably less than 40 g lately. I've had a hard time trying to keep that up.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty high protein (125g daily), calcium and a multivitamin and my hair is also thinning. The same thing happened the first time around (in 2012) and it didn't thicken back up when I gained back. I'll be following this thread for advice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Was just going to mention this.
  • ann_kristen
    ann_kristen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You're definitely missing a nutrient in your diet. Are you logging your meals and seeing if you are low on anything? Protein is very likely
  • aerinstorey
    aerinstorey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. It was a combination of going off of the birth control pill and not getting enough fat in my diet. It can be difficult to increase your fat intake and stay within your calorie goal, but it can be done with careful meal planning. Again you should ask your doctor.
  • desidelay
    desidelay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and then I started taking a hair supplement with biotin. My hair loss decreased significantly, I noticed my lost hair came back in (fast), and my hair was shinier than before. I love it!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I don't think 40 grams of protein is low enough to be the lone cause for someone's hair to start falling out. I average around that (sometimes more, sometimes less) and my hair is very thick. Definitely go to the doctor.

If it IS diet related, it's possible you're netting too low. Do you net 1200, or do you eat 1200 and exercise on top of that?
  • AliciaShook
    AliciaShook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this has helped so much thank you all!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    it could be iron too. I know if my protein was too low I would start losing more than normal. adrenal fatigue isnt accepted as a medical diagnosis(IE the mayo clinic) there are no scientific facts to prove it exists,there IS such thing as adrenal insufficiency though,but the side effects dont mention hair loss. I would see a dr and get blood tests done to rule anything out.
  • kaismandals
    kaismandals Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. Are you getting around 18mg of iron each day? Caffeine and calcium can prevent iron absorption if they're consumed within two hours of consuming iron rich foods.