Hard boiled egg snack

Options
I have recently started to have a cold hard boiled egg as a snack BUT how do you get the shell off without taking off chunks of the egg white is there a secret tip?? As I am normally left with half an egg as the white peels off with the shell :(

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Use older eggs fresh eggs don't make good peelers.....i use about a week or so old eggs....I don't take any notice of use by dates I use the water test and if it passes that they get used.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhhh ok will try and use older eggs next time
  • desidelay
    desidelay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Be sure to peel them only if they are room temperature and peeling them under water helps.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I dunk them in cold water when they're done cooking, smash the fat end first and peel while running cold water over them. Works most of the time, unless the eggs are super duper fresh.
  • elleelle03
    elleelle03 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I heard salt your water which I tried and then peeled under running water. some worked, some didn't
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    They're easier to peel if you do it right after they're cooked. I never put HB eggs in the fridge still in the shell. And yes to using older eggs.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you have a pressure cooker - use that to cook them. They practically fall out of the shell every time! Just put on steamer rack with a cup of water and cook for 2-3 min.

Before I got a pressure cooker, I had the best luck with cooking them this way:
    1. Put eggs in pot. Cover with cold water. Cover pot, bring to boil.
    2. When pot come to boil, turn off heat and let sit covered 10-12 minutes
    3. Drain water, then put lid back on pot and give a few quick shakes to crack shells.
    4. Cover hot eggs in ice water
    5. Peel when cool enough to handle
    Works 90% of the time.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Will give the tips a try thank you everyone :)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I use older eggs and steam them (steamer rack in pot, about 1.5 cups of water for about 30 minutes) and then give them a cold water bath. Seems to make them easier to peel.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    After boiling, I put them in cold water and let them sit for about five minutes. Then I put them in the fridge and when I want them, I have no problem peeling it.

If I try to peel right away, I feel like the membrane from the shell hasn't shrunk back and causes everything to get stuck together. It's annoying!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    roll them.

when about to peel them, tap gently all round to crack the shell, then gently ROLL the egg on a hard surface. this will loosen the shell from the white and enable the shell to come off easily.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Add cider vinegar and salt to the water. Bring water to boil and add eggs (I use tongs to do so), cook for 4 minutes. Move off the burner, add lid, and let sit for 13 minutes. Drain water and add cold water. They never stick.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Guys - do your eggs like this:

Put them under about 1" of water. When it boils, remove from heat and leave covered for 10 minutes. While waiting, fill a deep bowl with ice and water. Get it cold as possible. When the 10 minutes is finished, immediately submerge in the cold water - leave them. Come back in a few minutes and they should be good to go. They should peel easily.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I use a thumbtack to make a small hole in the big end of the egg before I put them into the water to simmer. Never boil. Just bring to the boil and turn off the heat and leave the pot covered there for about 30 min for hard boiled. Ice water bath to cool quickly. They should peel easily then. Even fresher eggs. I tried the 10 min sit but the yolks were gummies than I like. Especially for deviled eggs or potato salad.

I tried the baking soda in the water. Just left a scum on the pot and the eggs were not any easier to peel.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Peel a small hole on each end and blow into the skinny end as hard as you can. Sounds funny but it works!
  • alexgirl06
    alexgirl06 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Someone once asked me how I got my shell to come off so easily. I didn't think anything of it until my shell started to stick. Here's what I noticed:

If I put my eggs in the water before it was boiling, the shells would stick terribly. If I boiled the water first and then put the eggs in, the shells didn't stick. Also, free range eggs tend to be easier to pull off.

This is not a tested idea, just my observations.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    alexgirl06 wrote: »
    Also, free range eggs tend to be easier to pull off.

This is not a tested idea, just my observations.

All of my eggs are free range and I don't notice them being any more easy or difficult to peel than others. Sometimes my supplier is pulling them out from under the hens when she packs them up for me. I do notice that when they are very fresh they are a little harder to peel. I notice that in general if I run them under cold water while still hot they are often easier to peel but not always.

• ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have recently started to have a cold hard boiled egg as a snack BUT how do you get the shell off without taking off chunks of the egg white is there a secret tip?? As I am normally left with half an egg as the white peels off with the shell :(

I gave up trying and buy pre-cooked AND peeled eggs. I tried every hint I saw -- using older eggs; plunging them in ice water as soon as they are done; did it the way Martha Stewart recommended -- nothing; hence boughtened hard boiled eggs.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    elleelle03 wrote: »
    I heard salt your water which I tried and then peeled under running water. some worked, some didn't

I heard a tsp of baking soda was supposed to help too. That didn't work. :(
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything from putting salt or baking soda in the water, old eggs, new eggs, you name it I've tried it. And then I found this. It works every time. I usually buy fresh eggs at the market every week too.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/easy-to-peel-eggs/