Are all exercises created equal!?

Options
So my goal is to lose 2lbs per week. I'm eating 1400 calories a day plus 50% of what I earn from working out, IF I'm still hungry.
My question is, do I really have to go to the gym 5x a week or will taking a walk daily be just as good??

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    All forms of exercise are good for your body in some fashion - cardiovascular health, mental health, etc. but no exercise is required to lose weight - that only takes a caloric deficit. That being said, depending on what you are doing at the gym, taking a walk is great exercise but it will not burn the calories that the gym workout could burn (unless you are walking for several hours or doing some serious power-walking).

I guess that it all depends on what your goals are... are you working out at the gym to retain muscle tone or are you doing mainly cardio? What do you want to look like when you reach your goal weight?

Bottom line, calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness (not mutually exclusive goals either).
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wanna look like Beyonce! Lol. I actually want to look in shape. When I go to the gym I do 30 mins cardio, 20 mins weights and 50 mins looking at the clock to see if its time to leave. Lol.
    I guess I feel that I need to do some form of exercise in order to lose weight, but to be honest I really don't like going to the gym.
  • ccrdragon
    Options
    I didn't either, at first, but now it's a habit and that's how I start my day Monday thru Friday. I think it gets easier as time goes by and it's also easier if you are enjoying what you do at the gym... it doesn't sound like you are doing anything that gets you fired up, so try some different things (classes, etc) to see if any of them are more to your liking. You could also get a bike and use that as your exercise along with walking if that sounds like a better idea than going to the gym 5 days a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bruja924 wrote: »
    So my goal is to lose 2lbs per week. I'm eating 1400 calories a day plus 50% of what I earn from working out, IF I'm still hungry.
    My question is, do I really have to go to the gym 5x a week or will taking a walk daily be just as good??

You don't have to exercise at all if you don't want!

Do whatever you enjoy doing
  • Bruja924
    Options
    So what's the big hype about? I guess it's always seemed like you have to go to the gym in order to lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So what's the big hype about? I guess it's always seemed like you have to go to the gym in order to lose weight.

Exercise is good for your health.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Health, strength, vitality, cardiovascular system, musculature, energy
  • ccrdragon
    Options
    exercise will give you a toned body, but again, the only thing required for weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn (yes, it really is that simple).
  • Bruja924
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    . Yes but it doesn't help with my weight loss goals.
  • Bruja924
    Options
    @ccrdragon
    I like simple!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you are losing 2 pounds a week I assume (I hope) you have a lot to lose since that is a very aggressive weight loss.

If you are considerably overweight then walking is all you really need to do. Walking is great exercise for fat loss and its much more likely you can get into a sustainable routinue of regular walking than long-term commit to a total lifestyle change of making it to a gym everyday.

Lose the weight with walking first, then you can decide if you want to build overall strength with workouts in a gym.

All I'd say to this is you might want to do a little something for your upper body so you don't lose muscle mass up top. At 2 pounds loss per week you probably are going to be losing muscle as well so best to try to stave that off with some exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. That's all, you just need to burn more than you eat. Exercise obviously burns a lot of calories so it allows you to eat more while still losing weight. That's easier for a lot of people. Really, that's what the connection between exercise and weight loss is.

Not all exercise happens in a gym. Especially cardio! I don't understand why people pay to go to a gym for cardio, personally. I'd rather go for a run for free. Or do something that's actually fun like riding a bike, or rewarding, like going on a scenic hike. I even do my strength training at home.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    if you want to preserve muscle mass and have body composition goals then I would suggest incorporating a progressive lifting regimen where you are utilizing the big compound movements...something like strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, etc.

but as others have said if you just want to lose weight, then all you need is a straight calorie deficit.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

If you lift weights or do some form of resistance training you'll lose mostly fat, instead of fat and muscle like you do if you only diet. So exercise can help with your weight loss goals if your weight loss goals are to lose fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Well in a roundabout way it does

Cardio will give you a greater calorie burn

Progressive resistance will increase musculature, under the right conditions, which will increase marginally your BMR ..even if defecit it will help preserve muscle loss and maximise fat loss

• heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    All exercises are not created equal, but all exercise calories are. What I mean is that if I take leisurely walk around the neighborhood vs doing a hard run on a treadmill, the run will burn more calories (if done for the same amount of time). However, burning 100 calories running vs burning 100 calories walking is equal in terms of calories. In terms of cardiovascular health and things like that, different exercises have different benefits, but if you mean just in terms of calories, they are the same as long as it is equal calories.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Honestly taking a walk daily is as good if not better for you. Turns out when we move enough (let's say 10,000ish steps) our blood sugar stabilizes and we don't get the common sugar spiking in our blood with our meals even with carbs. I don't really worry about official cardio anyway. The author (Dr Ken Cooper) who wrote the book "aerobics" found a number of women who WERE aerobically fit and did no formal exercise. Very busy "housewives" who somehow got enough activity even if it was a lower cardiac level.

My take is that you should do what you like. I have fun riding a bike and yes I am increasing my heart rate climbing hills but do it because I like it. I like my morning walk too . I belong to a gym to do upper body weights but alas don't go as much as I could. I just don't like having weights at home.
  • Bruja924
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    If you are losing 2 pounds a week I assume (I hope) you have a lot to lose since that is a very aggressive weight loss.

If you are considerably overweight then walking is all you really need to do. Walking is great exercise for fat loss and its much more likely you can get into a sustainable routinue of regular walking than long-term commit to a total lifestyle change of making it to a gym everyday.

Lose the weight with walking first, then you can decide if you want to build overall strength with workouts in a gym.

All I'd say to this is you might want to do a little something for your upper body so you don't lose muscle mass up top. At 2 pounds loss per week you probably are going to be losing muscle as well so best to try to stave that off with some exercise.

I am currently 5'8 and 261lbs. So yes, I have a wayyys to go!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you want to look. You said you wanted to look "in shape", but that's subjective. If being thin is what you think is a healthy look then you just need to be in a caloric deficit and don't really need exercise (this is what people call skinny fat, although the term bothers me). If the more athletic/toned look is what you think is in shape, then yes, you should be lifting weights.
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started out at 250, with a goal to lose 1lb a week. After 3 1/2 months, I've lost 38 lbs. with walking my main source of exercise. I intend to add more and different exercise as I get closer to my goal, mostly to tighten up. As long as you are losing weight, it's all good!