Juicing Reboot

Options
13»

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I know my mother in law was put on bowel rest when she was dealing with diverticulitis. Fiber was hell on her body until she had surgery. So if this is helping you feel better, more power to you.

Have any doctors talked about or looked for diverticulitis? It's not often diagnosed in young people but it's worth asking.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    I know my mother in law was put on bowel rest when she was dealing with diverticulitis. Fiber was hell on her body until she had surgery. So if this is helping you feel better, more power to you.

Have any doctors talked about or looked for diverticulitis? It's not often diagnosed in young people but it's worth asking.

Thank you very much! I haven't, actually. Thank you so much, I will bring this up to my doctor at my coming appointment!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    HardyGirl - what you're seeing here in responses is pretty par for the course on MFP. If you dare suggest trying anything other than Calories In, Calories Out, people insist you must be wrong to try it.

Now, technically what they are saying is true - your digestive system does not need a break. Your liver doesn't need a break. Your kidneys don't need a break. Could you imagine anyone saying your heart needs a break from pumping blood? No. Your other organs don't need a vacation either.

So, with that information in mind, there is nothing wrong with juicing if you're enjoying it. I recently did a juice fast and loved every minute of it. It really helped me break a sugary junk food bender I had been on. I did it the lazy way, though, and bought the juice from a local juicing store, so I can't help you on how to be efficient in that area. It was really expensive though, so I could only afford to do it for a few days. I needed that mental break to get me out of the junk food cycle and back into a good, healthy diet. It worked.

If you're not enjoying the juicing process, don't continue. It's not a magical solution to anything. It's just another eating option.

We agree completely on the bolded bit.

And OP never mentioned CI/CO.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    HardyGirl - what you're seeing here in responses is pretty par for the course on MFP. If you dare suggest trying anything other than Calories In, Calories Out, people insist you must be wrong to try it.

Now, technically what they are saying is true - your digestive system does not need a break. Your liver doesn't need a break. Your kidneys don't need a break. Could you imagine anyone saying your heart needs a break from pumping blood? No. Your other organs don't need a vacation either.

So, with that information in mind, there is nothing wrong with juicing if you're enjoying it. I recently did a juice fast and loved every minute of it. It really helped me break a sugary junk food bender I had been on. I did it the lazy way, though, and bought the juice from a local juicing store, so I can't help you on how to be efficient in that area. It was really expensive though, so I could only afford to do it for a few days. I needed that mental break to get me out of the junk food cycle and back into a good, healthy diet. It worked.

If you're not enjoying the juicing process, don't continue. It's not a magical solution to anything. It's just another eating option.
    And what you don't realise is, any diet variation ends up being CICO. If one eats less calories than they burn in the day regardless of diet (low carb, high carb, high protein, Jedi, Haribo cleanse, fish fingers and custard diet, vodka cleanse, ice cream only, wine, Timelord), then that does boil down to CICO. If one is losing weight, they they are doing CICO even if they think they aren't.

• nelsonblish
    nelsonblish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you enter a 20 oz juicer in myfitnesspal? It had a sweet apple, tart apple, slice of pineapple, 2 kale leaves. I could enter each of the ingredients separately, but that wouldn't be the same as the 20 oz juice product.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How do you enter a 20 oz juicer in myfitnesspal? It had a sweet apple, tart apple, slice of pineapple, 2 kale leaves. I could enter each of the ingredients separately, but that wouldn't be the same as the 20 oz juice product.

I'd enter it separately and subtract a good bit of the fiber.
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've done a few short reboots and am currently drinking green juice everyday and supplementing that with nuts and other veggies - eating mostly raw with some meat (I don't do well on vegan diet) and no processed foods. It is true that it comes down to calories, but it's not true that all food is equal or that eating fresh foods is not important. I go by how my body feels and it feels better and has more energy when drinking green juice on a regular basis than it does when not (regardless of the other foods I am eating and regardless of exercise). I just feel better when I have fresh fruits and veggies in my diet and I don't have time, or inclination, to eat them all whole. Eating fresh juice and raw foods is also, by the way, low in calories (at least the way I do it), certainly lower than a diet that includes more processed and concentrated foods. Anyway, it's unfortunate that you got more responses telling you that you're wrong than answering your question.

There is definitely time involved in juicing, but I find that I get it done in about 30-40 minutes a day, which is way less time than cooking and cleaning up several meals. Perhaps you already talked about this and I missed it amongst all the naysaying, but I am wondering what kind of juicer you are using and what kinds of veggies/fruits you are juicing. I know that the reboot recommendation is for the Breville juicers. When I first did reboot I bought a new Breville to replace my old champion. I ended up returning it because it took so much more time, was more work, and less efficient. That's my experience. I also don't do a lot of prep. Apples are just cut up and not cored, grapes, cucumbers, kale, etc. are put in whole.

I make juice fresh every morning, only occasionally carrying juice over to the next day. It tastes better and is better for you when fresh. I do make enough for the whole day so I don't juice more than once. Anyway, don't know what your digestive issues are but you might also think about fermented and picked foods. - imagine the naysaying for those tidbits.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Nothing about your digestive system "reboots" though.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

There are sites where you can enter the ingredients and it will give you the juiced values. Of course, it's a rough estimate, since not all juicers are created equal.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    sijaeabc wrote: »
    I've done a few short reboots and am currently drinking green juice everyday and supplementing that with nuts and other veggies - eating mostly raw with some meat (I don't do well on vegan diet) and no processed foods. It is true that it comes down to calories, but it's not true that all food is equal or that eating fresh foods is not important. I go by how my body feels and it feels better and has more energy when drinking green juice on a regular basis than it does when not (regardless of the other foods I am eating and regardless of exercise). I just feel better when I have fresh fruits and veggies in my diet and I don't have time, or inclination, to eat them all whole. Eating fresh juice and raw foods is also, by the way, low in calories (at least the way I do it), certainly lower than a diet that includes more processed and concentrated foods. Anyway, it's unfortunate that you got more responses telling you that you're wrong than answering your question.

There is definitely time involved in juicing, but I find that I get it done in about 30-40 minutes a day, which is way less time than cooking and cleaning up several meals. Perhaps you already talked about this and I missed it amongst all the naysaying, but I am wondering what kind of juicer you are using and what kinds of veggies/fruits you are juicing. I know that the reboot recommendation is for the Breville juicers. When I first did reboot I bought a new Breville to replace my old champion. I ended up returning it because it took so much more time, was more work, and less efficient. That's my experience. I also don't do a lot of prep. Apples are just cut up and not cored, grapes, cucumbers, kale, etc. are put in whole.

I make juice fresh every morning, only occasionally carrying juice over to the next day. It tastes better and is better for you when fresh. I do make enough for the whole day so I don't juice more than once. Anyway, don't know what your digestive issues are but you might also think about fermented and picked foods. - imagine the naysaying for those tidbits.

Wow, that is an awesome post! Thank you so much for all of that wonderful information!! It is extremely helpful to me! I actually bought an Omega juicer because I had read from someone that they are faster and easier to clean. I don't know what my digestive issues are either. The doctors know the symptoms, but are unsure was to what is wrong with me. That's very interesting. I think that I will look into and probably try fermented and pickled foods. Thank you so much!!
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I like juicing.. so whatever :P I usually try to make a whole day's juice ahead of time and bottle it up. Maybe even make enough juice for two days.

I had a friend who had similar problems, and she found it was lyme disease. But no one ever tested for it. Not sure if you have or not, but just a thought.