L.A. Fitness or Gold'sGym

Options
I want to join a gym way before the January rush, and I'm trying to decide between Gold's and L.A Fitness. I want to incorporate both strength and cardio particularly when it gets cooler. Which gym would you recommend?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you visit both gyms and see which you like better. Also consider which one is most convenient to attend.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes check out both gyms. I used to be an LA Fitness member. I did a workout at Golds when I was looking for a gym. I found Gold's wasn't a good fit for me.

I thought the equipment at Golds to be better quality, but it was all designed for men. I'm a petite woman, so the leg press, hamstring curl and quad curl machines were all too big for me.

So you need to do a workout at both gyms, then assess your needs against each gym's amenities.
  • junie38
    junie38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some like golds offers many classes one of the things that kept me from choosing that gym was the contract go visit the gyms during the hours you would go work out, don't let anyone pressure you into signing a contract until your ready also beware of free trial runs ... I belong to a full service gym that offers everything and during winter time if is very nice to have options. I also have a year contract I cant get out of it unless I want to pay an extra 100 dollars. If you have a snap fitness near you it is a good alternative you get your own key and have access to the gym 24/7 no contract but no changing rooms or lockers just cubby holes on the gym floor.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    I want to join a gym way before the January rush, and I'm trying to decide between Gold's and L.A Fitness. I want to incorporate both strength and cardio particularly when it gets cooler. Which gym would you recommend?

You are a long way off the January rush. I personally wouldn't sign up for a gym I hadn't visited and knew that I'd be happy training in. Pop in, someone will be on hand to show you around.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Visit both and decide which one fits your needs. I've been to a number of Gold's and several LA Fitness locations. They are all different (more so with Gold's) between locations.

Nobody can tell you which in your area is better.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Visit both and decide which one fits your needs. I've been to a number of Gold's and several LA Fitness locations. They are all different (more so with Gold's) between locations.

Nobody can tell you which in your area is better.

Agree very much with this. Also don't know when they are used the most. Go to the gym's when you would use them and see what it is like. Ask if there is a way you can try before you buy, maybe come three or four times and pay a fee before committing to a membership. All they can say is no or maybe offer you at least one trial session.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll try and find time to visit both. What I worry about is that sometimes what you see is not always what you get, I don't want to find out too late that I've made the wrong choice.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Our local Golds only has Smith machines. Sure they have a hugemonous group fitness studio, but little good that will do anyone who wants to pursue pure barbell training.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Our local Golds only has Smith machines. Sure they have a hugemonous group fitness studio, but little good that will do anyone who wants to pursue pure barbell training.

That's why you need to look. One of the the Gold's Gym Express locations in my community just has Smith machines, some dumbbells, and weight machines along with the cardio. The other has 2 lifting platforms 3 NFL weight room quality power racks, area for sled pushes, dumbbells to 150 lbs, etc. Pretty hard core stuff.
  • Madux1818
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's why you need to look. One of the the Gold's Gym Express locations in my community just has Smith machines, some dumbbells, and weight machines along with the cardio. The other has 2 lifting platforms 3 NFL weight room quality power racks, area for sled pushes, dumbbells to 150 lbs, etc. Pretty hard core stuff.

I definitely would like the latter, with hard core stuff. Thanks.

• IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been to several Gold's and will likely be joining LA Fitness since it's closer to me.. it might also have a pool, hot tub and sauna, so.. :)
  • Madux1818
    Options
    I have been to several Gold's and will likely be joining LA Fitness since it's closer to me.. it might also have a pool, hot tub and sauna, so.. :)

So how did you like Golds? Any significant difference in price?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You have awhile before the January rush.
  • Madux1818
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You have awhile before the January rush.

I just don't want to annoy regulars as a resolutionist.