Who Thinks Healthy Weight Is Related To Fitness Level?

Options
I spent the last year and a half improving my fitness level. When I first started I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace without having to lay down for an hour and feeling like I was going to die. So far I have lost over 50 lbs. I never really changed my diet aside from learning how to eat a little smarter and ball parking my calories.

Currently, I can power walk at a 4.0 to 4.5 mph pace for about 10 miles, and am starting to add periods of jogging into my walks because I am having a hard time getting my heart rate up just by walking. I have also reduced my resting heart rate from the 80's to the 60's over this time.

I average 5 to 10 miles of power walking every single day. I walk at local parks very fequently and notice many other people walking/jogging/running. I notice many people of all ages and fitness levels, and the ones that are fit do not look over weight at all. The ones that are struggling a little look slightly over weight, and the ones who are struggling a lot look overweight or even obese.

When I notice these things it brings me back to myself when I first started out and how I must have looked to other people who saw me struggling, and I always give them the thumbs up as I go by.

This makes me think that a healthy body weight is directly related to a good fitness level.

It is true that you can lose weight by dieting alone, but you will be dieting for the rest of your life.
It is true that you exercise your butt off, eat like a glutton, and not lose weight.

I believe that if you can get to a "GOOD" fitness level and not eat like a glutton, a healthy body weight will happen all by itself.

When I say a "GOOD" fitness level, I mean (at my age 59) I should be able to jog/run at least 3 miles, be able to do at least 50 push-ups, do at least 50 sit-ups, and do at least 5 chin-ups. I am just ball parking these numbers from back when I was in the Army.

I consider my fitness level to be "FAIR" currently, but I am working to get into the "GOOD" range.

I am certain that a lot of people will disagree, and this is just my opinion, but I would like to hear other peoples opinions as well.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think you can lose weight by diet alone and you are fine for weight loss and maintenance...exercise never has to come into play...think about people who can't exercise but maintain a good healthy weight.
    I think you can get fit and not be a healthy weight.
    I don't think a healthy weight is directly related to fitness level.

I log calories and watch my intake for weight (maintenance)
    I exercise for health and fitness
    I watch my macros for nutrition.

it came in that order as well...I lost weight (half of my 50) started exercising and got that I needed to watch my nutrition too...

I think good fitness is a personal choice and not all people care for it or want to exercise....

I think that at any age if you can do what you described above you are at an okay fitness level...for me the fact I can bench my body weight, run an 8min mile and have stopped smoking says more than anything else.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on how you define "good fitness level" for others. I think I'm "okay", but to you I would be one of those strugglers. I will never come close to passing any sort of military fitness test or even the Presidential fitness test from grade school. Am I in a better fitness level than I was 4.5 years ago? Yeah, sure. I don't think you need to have "good" fitness to be at a "healthy" weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    They are related, they aren't the same thing.

You can be thin and not fit and fat and reasonably fit, but all else equal being not excessively fat (i.e., above the BF% level for overweight or obese) typically makes you more fit. I know I'd run faster if I dropped some pounds, even though I'm a BMI of 22 now.

Might feel differently if my preferred sport was offensive lineman, though. And back in the day I could run a half marathon under 2 hours when overweight, and bike a century without looking like I was struggling, so I dispute the idea that how much one struggles is directly related to how thin one is. People who exercise a lot and regularly and put physical fitness as a goal to work on are probably less likely to be overweight than the general public, of course.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh nope. I know some fit people who can run 10ks and whatnot and are clearly overweight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There is a strong correlation between regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight. Regular exercise along with an overall solid diet is a huge component of good livin' and good livin' lends itself to good things happening, including but not limited to maintaining a healthy weight.

I don't know what roll actual fitness level plays into it other than the fact that the more physically fit you are, the more you can do...and if you exercise regularly you're going to be pretty fit...so again, I think it comes down more to regular exercise and being more active than anything.

I don't log or otherwise track calories and haven't for over three years of maintenance...good livin' is how I do it.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    For me personally, they go hand in hand. I'm the type of person who thrives with structure and routine. Waking up every morning and going for a run or walk after my water and coffee, then eating when I get back home after I shower makes me feel energized for the day ahead. If I wake up and eat breakfast without doing cardio first, I feel sluggish. That sense of accomplishment is what sets my day off on the right foot. My appetite is more stable, I make better decisions, and I feel more active. It also gives me more energy throughout the day so I can do my weight training in the evening which improves the quality of my sleep.

Had I gone the same way I had in the past with weight loss, I would have eaten 1200 calories per day until I got to my goal weight and then I'd feel too hungry and gain some back. I'm 5'3.5", 108 pounds, and I love being able to eat 2000+ calories per day to maintain my weight. I love that due to exercising my figure looks the best it has in my life. I love that since exercising the quality of my life has improved tenfold. It may not work for everyone and not everyone has the ability to exercise, but I know it is what works for me. I'm a completely different person mentally, physically, and emotionally than I was when I was right on the edge of being overweight and lying in bed all day feeling depressed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I've always been within a healthy weight range for my height, and there have been times when I've been very fit and active, and had plenty of strength and stamina, and other times when I've felt like a weakling slug who gets winded climbing the stairs. It just depended on my activity/lifestyle at the time.

So no, I don't think a healthy weight necessarily correlates to fitness level. It's probably easier to be fit when you're less heavy, but being less heavy doesn't necessarily make you more fit.

Bingo! :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon 70lbs over weight and finished in 2 hours, 30 minutes (which is decent time at a little under a 12 minute mile).

Im now 60lbs lighter and am struggling to keep up a 12min 30 second mile while training for my next half (in sept).

I was fitter 60lbs heavier.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel better, have more energy, sleep better, can do more, move faster, be more flexible, breathe better at a healthier weight. I am still 8 lbs overweight but I am pretty functional for all the tasks I am asking my body to do regularly. For my daily life my fitness level is good. I have an improved quality of life and better health at a healthy weight. It does not mean I can go out and run 5 miles today. I've never run 5 miles- not at 100 lbs and not at 180 lbs. I'm not going to exercise more than an hour a day.
    Today I would not be able to run a 5k race, ride a bike for miles, swim long distances, do 50 sit ups or do many complicated yoga poses smoothly. I have not trained to do those things so I am unfit to do those things no matter my weight really. It would be easier to start doing any of those things at a healthy weight and I'd probably improve faster. I don't want to do any of those things though.
    I feel that people should find a level of activity that is sustainable and enjoyable for them. It is better to move more but don't get hung up on fitness level so much.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight initially (70 lbs in 6 months) is what inspired me to start working out again. Obviously that 70 lbs was all diet, but once I started to exercise weight loss slowed down but I got the body I wanted.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For me there hasn't been a good correlation between my weight and my fitness - although I think there is for most people. When I was a kid, I was very thin. I was terrible at sports and got easily worn out running. I hated PE. I wasn't good at it and never saw any improvement. It just always felt like torture. Balls flying at my face, getting hit by balls, running laps and wanting to pass out. Awful memories.

When I got into high school I discovered weightlifting and fell in love with it. I was at my peak fitness for a few years. Stayed at a healthy weight.

But when I was 18 I blew out my knee and thereafter could not run/hike/ play any sports like soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. I had a couple knee surgeries. My functional fitness was pretty much shot after that point. I could hobble around to class, but I certainly wasn't active like you might imagine a healthy person of college age would be. I continued weightlifting, but the range of exercises I could do was severely curtailed. Stayed at a healthy weight.

I took up yoga 2-3 times per week. This restored some flexibility and improved my posture, but I still wasn't "active" by my reckoning because I was really only doing gym activities for max 3 hours a week. But I stayed at a healthy weight.

In my 30s I took up swimming, and again reached peak fitness. Stayed at a healthy weight.

In my 40s, I changed to a much more sedentary job. Although I continued weight lifting and swimming, I started putting on weight. I put on 40 pounds before I joined MFP and halted the weight gain.

So for me there have been a lot of ups and downs in my fitness level. But only after I turned 40 and started sitting at a desk fulltime did I really put on weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Many athletes are well over BMI and some even consider overweight (NFL Lineman), but have some of the best fitness conditioning.
    I know lots of people who are at healthy weight, but can't even do 5 pushups. Or run a mile without gasping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For me they go together--eat well to fuel fitness, exercise to feel good and maintain weight without having to log every bit every day. That is sustainable for me long term.

Granted, for the decade I maintained at 135-7 I could run a half marathon in 2 hours or a 10k in 55 minutes, but I couldn't do a push-up to save my life or squat more than 30lbs. I have increased speed and strength and dropped another 16 lbs, but I was pretty happy with my figure and fitness before as well. My husband, on the other hand, does nothing except mow the yard and maintains his borderline underweight bmi through diet (or lack there of) alone.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My main fitness activity of choice is running. I find that the main thing that changes when I go from just a bit overweight to very overweight in terms of my fitness is that I start to get injuries and strains, the heavier I get.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Well as my fitness level improved over the last year and a half, my weight has been getting closer and closer to a healthy body weight. The only changes I made to my diet was learning how to eat a little smarter and ball parking my calories. I actually eat more now, so I don't know how else to explain it.

I consider my fitness level to be fair right now, and once I consider it to be good, I am anxious to see what my body weight will be at that point.

I am talking about regular people, and not linemen who are made to eat half a cow every day and pump iron for 8 hours.

I know what is happening to me, and what I notice in other regular people that I see when I am doing my jog/power walk thing.

I just see it too often to think its just a coincidence.

Personally, I would rather spend a couple years getting to a "good" fitness level and never have to worry about my weight again, then be on a diet roller coaster & starving myself for the rest of my life.

People can choose whatever they want, and I choose this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Well as my fitness level improved over the last year and a half, my weight has been getting closer and closer to a healthy body weight. The only changes I made to my diet was learning how to eat a little smarter and ball parking my calories. I actually eat more now, so I don't know how else to explain it.

I consider my fitness level to be fair right now, and once I consider it to be good, I am anxious to see what my body weight will be at that point.

I am talking about regular people, and not linemen who are made to eat half a cow every day and pump iron for 8 hours.

I know what is happening to me, and what I notice in other regular people that I see when I am doing my jog/power walk thing.

I just see it too often to think its just a coincidence.

Personally, I would rather spend a couple years getting to a "good" fitness level and never have to worry about my weight again, then be on a diet roller coaster & starving myself for the rest of my life.

People can choose whatever they want, and I choose this.

but what about people who can't exercise? do you really think they starve to maintain their weight?

being at a good fitness level does not guarantee a healthy weight...and if you learn how to maintain your weight without exercise then you never are on a diet roller coaster...or starving.

I maintain my current weight easily on 1800-2k calories...that's a lot of food.

With exercise I can eat upwards of 2500 a day which means chips and chocolate in the evening or ice cream or pie...because my macros have been met and it's time for treats...that's why I exercise...so I can eat more not so I can maintain a healthy weight....I can do that without exercise and never be hungry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot to be in very good fitness and in most cases, you will also be brought down to a body weight that you can do it with. It's hard to be too heavy and do 10 good pullups or 20 good pushups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. I know with me, I can easily maintain a healthy body weight when I'm focused on my exercise regimen (about 75% weights, 25% cardio). The times I've gone lax about exercise, I do have to count calories to make sure I don't gain weight.

However, I've seen plenty of healthy weight individuals who don't count calories or do any form of exercise. So it does seem to vary from person to person.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Are you saying people who exercise and maintain a normal/healthy weight don't need to concern themselves with counting calories? Or that you can't be fit unless you're a healthy weight? Maybe I'm being dumb but I don't really get the point you're making.