Calories burned

Options
Would like to know the answer to this, which number stands correct when I go to add what type of exercise i.e treadmill 20min says I burn 70 calories at 2.0 mph and when I look it up on MFP It says I burn 100 and something which do I use??? I dont want to put in more burned calories and I actually havent and then eat and actually more than I should.....HELP!?!?!?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Did you put in your age and weight when you got on the treadmill? I would go with the lower number, just to make sure you don't over estimate and end up wiping out your deficit.
  • 1trulyblessed
    1trulyblessed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thx for responding...no I did a quick start it doesnt call for age
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The MFP numbers tend to be high for most people. Although the treadmill numbers may be as well. They are all guesstimates. Personally, if I didn't have FitBit, I would go with the lower number and only eat about 75% back until I knew through experience how accurate it is. That will take several weeks.
  • 1trulyblessed
    1trulyblessed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will start using the treadmill's numbers...
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There's no way to estimate the calories you burned without knowing your stats, and you weren't able to enter them into the machine. If you go to the gym, try using a machine that allows you to enter your stats. The machines are still not the most accurate. Are you interested in heart rate monitors? Still not 100% accurate, but way better than the machines. In the meantime, I wouldn't worry about logging exercise calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    There's no way to estimate the calories you burned without knowing your stats, and you weren't able to enter them into the machine. If you go to the gym, try using a machine that allows you to enter your stats. The machines are still not the most accurate. Are you interested in heart rate monitors? Still not 100% accurate, but way better than the machines. In the meantime, I wouldn't worry about logging exercise calories.

That depends on several factors though. For 70-100 calories as stated in the OP maybe not, but if OP is at 1200 and exercising more then yes, the exercise calories are important to fuel the workouts. Additionally, sometimes those extra calories can go a long way in maintaining sanity. That's a whole bite size candy bar.
  • spodell1966
    spodell1966 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been on MFP for 10 months now and have always logged our exercise then put half in "quick add" So we can use half of what we've earned, This makes sure we are at a deficit. I have lost 50 pounds and wife has lost 40, and are now both at just 10 more pounds to go (the hardest to loose). The extra calories are a "reward" for working out and help you get thru the day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard exercise machines giving a lower number than mfp, usually they waay overestimate.

OP when in doubt i choose the lower number. I would rather slightly underestimate than be over.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It depends what the machine's default setting is. I'd guess most are set to around an average user weight of 150. If the user is actually 200 lbs or more, you can see how the machine would underestimate the calorie burn. In that case, mfp estimate would be better because the user's stats are already entered here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My old dreadmill used to have the height and weight setting. At 155lbs it used to average around 250 calories for 30 minutes of walking 4kph on a very slight incline..