New Years diet reaches first plateau

Any other New Years dieters reached their first plateau? I've dropped 45lbs over the past 8 months but am now stuck losing and gaining the same 2lbs over and over. I get that weight loss isn't linear but it would be nice to hear from anyone else in the same situation!

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I was starting to wonder where everyone had gone...
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I started in December, but like you weight loss has slowed to a crawl for me so I'm going to maintenance for a while, see how I do. I'm in healthy mid bmi range. I want to try maintaining so I can learn how to do it, so many of us just seem to end up putting the weight back on. Nows my chance to see if I can stick with maintenance calories.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I started in December, but like you weight loss has slowed to a crawl for me so I'm going to maintenance for a while, see how I do. I'm in healthy mid bmi range. I want to try maintaining so I can learn how to do it, so many of us just seem to end up putting the weight back on. Nows my chance to see if I can stick with maintenance calories.

Good luck on your maintenance. I still have 70lbs so was hoping I'd lose a bit more before the dreaded plateaux kicked in.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Have you recalculated your calorie goals based on your new weight? That may be a silly question but some people don't realize.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Recalibrate your goals. Bump it to maintenance, save, then back to lose in your profile.

Smaller bodies require less calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If your weight loss has stalled for over 2 weeks, I personally would adjust your calories down or increase activity by 100-200 calories a day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Any other New Years dieters reached their first plateau? I've dropped 45lbs over the past 8 months but am now stuck losing and gaining the same 2lbs over and over. I get that weight loss isn't linear but it would be nice to hear from anyone else in the same situation!

How long

Under 6 weeks is not a plateau

Sometimes weight loss changes to stalls and whooshes, mine did ..I went from regular weekly loss to 3 weeks nothing then a 3-5lb whoosh

Sometimes our logging goes awry so focus back in on it ...double check your entries, weigh everything

Sometimes we overestimate exercise, halve it then work up again

Get a trend tracker like trendweight.com, Weightographer or an app like Happyscale or libra which smooths out weight loss into 4-8 week trends with extrapolation
  • Sued0nim
    Also over time you should be slowing your rate of loss anyway ...my last 10-20lbs I aimed for 0.5lbs per week
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    GREAT WORK!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You've done great! well done! how long has this plateau been? more than 6 weeks??
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I'm in a kind of plateau, not really lost much weight over the last few weeks, but I have started ramping up strength training and cutting down on cardio because I wanted to slow the loss and I have lost inches and gained definition, so I'm guessing that I have some muscle gains along with the fat loss.

Have you been taking regular measurements and are they going in the right direction?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    I've been on 1200 calories for 8 months so don't think I can lower it any further. Weight loss had plateaued for 6 or 8 weeks, just gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. Have occasionally (once every two weeks or so) gone over but averaged this out by being under for rest of week. For instance was over 700 calories Today but under 800 calories for rest of week. Ah well, I'll just keep going!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I'm in a kind of plateau, not really lost much weight over the last few weeks, but I have started ramping up strength training and cutting down on cardio because I wanted to slow the loss and I have lost inches and gained definition, so I'm guessing that I have some muscle gains along with the fat loss.

Have you been taking regular measurements and are they going in the right direction?

What a fantastic loss! I stupidly haven't been taken measurements but only really do strength training once a week. I definitely need to up it.
  • Sued0nim
    I've been on 1200 calories for 8 months so don't think I can lower it any further. Weight loss had plateaued for 6 or 8 weeks, just gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. Have occasionally (once every two weeks or so) gone over but averaged this out by being under for rest of week. For instance was over 700 calories Today but under 800 calories for rest of week. Ah well, I'll just keep going!

6-8 weeks?

I'd hazard a guess that you have logging issues which have become more apparent now you are lighter

Do you weigh all your food (not cups or spoons)?

Do you double check all food choices ?

Do you halve exercise calorie estimates before eating back ?

Try that
  • Sued0nim
    Open your diary for less genetic advice
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Sued0nim wrote: »

How long

Under 6 weeks is not a plateau

Sometimes weight loss changes to stalls and whooshes, mine did ..I went from regular weekly loss to 3 weeks nothing then a 3-5lb whoosh

Sometimes our logging goes awry so focus back in on it ...double check your entries, weigh everything

Sometimes we overestimate exercise, halve it then work up again

Get a trend tracker like trendweight.com, Weightographer or an app like Happyscale or libra which smooths out weight loss into 4-8 week trends with extrapolation

I do measure everything (with scales!) that I can but occasionally eat out so can't measure that. The only things I don't log are sugar free drinks.

I use Happy Weight to even out the ups and downs but even that has now put me on a level with no changes.

I do little exercise apart from my once a week strength training so eating back calories isn't really an issue (thankfully!)
  • GrumpyHeadmistress

Thanks. As I mentioned above, I do measure everything on scales apart from the rare occasions when I eat out. My scales and little measuring cup (for liquids only) gets a real workout!
  • Sued0nim
    Errors in selecting foods ..I would say more than 60% MFP food entries are inaccurate
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Errors in selecting foods ..I would say more than 60% MFP food entries are inaccurate

Very true. I try to scan barcodes and match nutritional values where possible but it isn't always possible. I'm sure I need to crack down further and stop eating out!
  • mcdona4
    mcdona4 Posts: 5 Member
    Not a New Years dieter, but I hit a plateau. I am breastfeeding, so I don't know if hormones could be the issue or not. Pre-baby, I lost 60 pounds counting. I know that I am as accurate on counting as possible, and I am exercising almost daily and not eating back calories, so I should be dropping pounds like crazy.... For a month I have been stalled. Some people say that starvation mode is a myth, and it may be. But I have no clue why the scale isn't moving. I can't be any more accurate with my calories. Everything is measured and counted that I put in my body. Well... Yesterday, I ate 3 tiny jelly beans that my daughter gave me. I didn't count them, but I was 100 calories under my goal, and I exercised for 30 minutes and didn't count it.... Sooooo that didn't make me bust..... I have no help. Just saying you aren't alone.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    mcdona4 wrote: »
    Not a New Years dieter, but I hit a plateau. I am breastfeeding, so I don't know if hormones could be the issue or not. Pre-baby, I lost 60 pounds counting. I know that I am as accurate on counting as possible, and I am exercising almost daily and not eating back calories, so I should be dropping pounds like crazy.... For a month I have been stalled. Some people say that starvation mode is a myth, and it may be. But I have no clue why the scale isn't moving. I can't be any more accurate with my calories. Everything is measured and counted that I put in my body. Well... Yesterday, I ate 3 tiny jelly beans that my daughter gave me. I didn't count them, but I was 100 calories under my goal, and I exercised for 30 minutes and didn't count it.... Sooooo that didn't make me bust..... I have no help. Just saying you aren't alone.

Congratulations on your new addition! Sounds like we've both being working really hard and deserve some results. I've decided to stick to the diet for another few weeks and then, if I'm still stuck, change things up. Good luck!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    mcdona4 wrote: »

I found that there was no way I could lose weight while breastfeeding during the two years, I was far too hungry for one thing and if I didn't eat enough then my supply dropped plus all those hormones. Once my nursling hit 2 and dropped all but two feeds, then my appetite dropped, my hormones sorted themselves and I started losing. But I did find that my supply dropped quite sharply when I started losing and by little boy self weaned less than 4 months later. (Although he does occasionally quite sadly remark that "Mummy's boobies are broken). Guess what I'm saying is don't stress too much over weight loss while feeding, you need a good amount of calories to produce that lovely milk.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    Plateau broken! Lost 2lbs in the past couple of days so hopefully I'm back on track. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Plateau broken! Lost 2lbs in the past couple of days so hopefully I'm back on track. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Did you make any changes?

• GrumpyHeadmistress

Did you make any changes?

Nope, kept everything the same as usual.