Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are short fasts really helpful for burning fat?

Options

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well, the real thing is - it doesn't actually matter how much fat is burned at any particular instant in time, what matters is the long term effect over the course of days and months.

For that, the only thing that really affects total change in body fat is the total energy deficit or surplus over that period of time. Everything else would cancel out in the long term.

If only human bodies were that simple then losing fat would be easy! It is actually very difficult to determine even what type of weight has been lost let alone how much a energy deficit or surplus there is. Clearly people do lose fat but it isn't so easy as cutting 100 kc / day and lose 5 kg of fat / year.

That is why intermitted fasting is interesting. It may help the body actually more like expected by helping with hormones and keeping the metabolism from declining. At first I thought it was nonsense, but now I'm a lot more open minded about it.

It IS that simple. Glycogen depletion from high intensity exercise gets refilled by incoming carbs, creating a larger deficit during the times you're at rest -> burning fat. And muscle loss isn't an issue for anyone getting their nutritional needs and working out.

There are many variables and many possible outcomes but typically only about 5% are successful with losing fat and keeping it off. As for the glycogen depletion, very few people actually can actually burn so much glycogen that it can't be replaced from the food being consumed. It is really very difficult to just exercise yourself slim.

Intermittent fasting though would help a lot by helping making it easier to deplete more glycogen and providing periods where blood glucose and insulin are lower. People aren't successful with burning fat if insulin levels are too high. It is likely that most people are in that state most of the waking hours. If those people eat a calorie deficit they end up feeling horrible because the body reduces energy expenditure if it can burn enough fat.
  • dykask
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight doing Alternate day Fasting.

Monday-500 calories
    Tuesday-TDEE
    Wednesday-500 calories
    Thursday-TDEE and so on.

When i first started i found it easier to diet every second, rather than 7 days a week.

ETA: It was a 24 hour fast from dinner till dinner the next night.

Dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner, skip breakfast, skip lunch and repeat? Was the dinner at the end of 24 hours the 500 calories?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been IF for a couple months. I haven't really noticed anything different other than cardio sucks fasted for me. Fat loss? Meh. It all comes down to energy balance. Can IF effect it? I don't know. It doesn't seem so in my case though from a completely unscientific n-1. That being said, I don't have a ton of fat to shed so not sure that plays a role either.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well, the real thing is - it doesn't actually matter how much fat is burned at any particular instant in time, what matters is the long term effect over the course of days and months.

For that, the only thing that really affects total change in body fat is the total energy deficit or surplus over that period of time. Everything else would cancel out in the long term.

If only human bodies were that simple then losing fat would be easy! It is actually very difficult to determine even what type of weight has been lost let alone how much a energy deficit or surplus there is. Clearly people do lose fat but it isn't so easy as cutting 100 kc / day and lose 5 kg of fat / year.

That is why intermitted fasting is interesting. It may help the body actually more like expected by helping with hormones and keeping the metabolism from declining. At first I thought it was nonsense, but now I'm a lot more open minded about it.

It IS that simple. Glycogen depletion from high intensity exercise gets refilled by incoming carbs, creating a larger deficit during the times you're at rest -> burning fat. And muscle loss isn't an issue for anyone getting their nutritional needs and working out.

There are many variables and many possible outcomes but typically only about 5% are successful with losing fat and keeping it off. As for the glycogen depletion, very few people actually can actually burn so much glycogen that it can't be replaced from the food being consumed. It is really very difficult to just exercise yourself slim.

Intermittent fasting though would help a lot by helping making it easier to deplete more glycogen and providing periods where blood glucose and insulin are lower. People aren't successful with burning fat if insulin levels are too high. It is likely that most people are in that state most of the waking hours. If those people eat a calorie deficit they end up feeling horrible because the body reduces energy expenditure if it can burn enough fat.

The 5% number is taken from an amount of people they didn't even know if they were trying to lose in the first place.

Glycogen replacement is the reason you still lose fat even when you're doing strenuous exercise that "burns carbs not fat" which is the origin of those stupid fat burning zone workout *kittens*.
    Carbs that are turned to glycogen to refill your tank aren't used to fuel your caloric needs, so you're burning bodyfat while refilling your glycogen because substrate utilization shifts to primarily fat while at rest.
    Your glycogen does not have to be depleted to lose fat. Your insulin is lower if you're in a deficit anyway and the idea that you need to decrease insulin to lose fat is bunk to begin with.
  • dykask
    Options

The 5% number is taken from an amount of people they didn't even know if they were trying to lose in the first place.

Glycogen replacement is the reason you still lose fat even when you're doing strenuous exercise that "burns carbs not fat" which is the origin of those stupid fat burning zone workout *kittens*.
    Carbs that are turned to glycogen to refill your tank aren't used to fuel your caloric needs, so you're burning bodyfat while refilling your glycogen because substrate utilization shifts to primarily fat while at rest.
    Your glycogen does not have to be depleted to lose fat. Your insulin is lower if you're in a deficit anyway and the idea that you need to decrease insulin to lose fat is bunk to begin with.

The body isn't just about burning fuel, it also changes the rate that fuel is burned. That is metabolism and that is why so people can feel horrible in a calorie deficit. Lower metabolic processes are typically of being sick rather than healthy.

The 5% figure actually came from weight watchers long term success rate, it was actually more like 4.6%. I ran across it while reading Dr. Jason Fung's blog. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/how-do-we-gain-weight-calories-part-1/ Any it is very clear that the majority of people are not successful for very long at losing weight.

Weight loss and gain isn't simple because we have very little control over our energy balance and almost no control over how our bodies deal with energy imbalance. Tools like fasting and exercise may give us a little more influence, but it still isn't direct control. However something is a lot better than nothing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Monday-500 calories
    Tuesday-TDEE
    Wednesday-500 calories
    Thursday-TDEE and so on.

When i first started i found it easier to diet every second, rather than 7 days a week.

Dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner, skip breakfast, skip lunch and repeat? Was the dinner at the end of 24 hours the 500 calories?

Yeah sorry, my post was unclear.

On my up day i would eat as normal, 2-3 meals a day. Dinner was my last meal at around 5-6, the next day was my 500 calorie day and i wouldn't eat anything til dinner, which was the whole 500 cals for one meal. So it was a 24 hour fast every second day.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

This study found that exercise-induced fat metabolism is enhanced while fasted.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21051570

Although it makes sense to me that fasting gives us a bit of an edge, I definitely agree with you. The long-term effects of calorie restriction and exercise are much more noteworthy.

• dykask
    Options

Monday-500 calories
    Tuesday-TDEE
    Wednesday-500 calories
    Thursday-TDEE and so on.

On my up day i would eat as normal, 2-3 meals a day. Dinner was my last meal at around 5-6, the next day was my 500 calorie day and i wouldn't eat anything til dinner, which was the whole 500 cals for one meal. So it was a 24 hour fast every second day.

That makes sense, thanks. The reason why I asked is some people talk about drinking some calories during a fast, which I don't really understand.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Monday-500 calories
    Tuesday-TDEE
    Wednesday-500 calories
    Thursday-TDEE and so on.

That makes sense, thanks. The reason why I asked is some people talk about drinking some calories during a fast, which I don't really understand.

I agree, what i did is officially call Alternate day fasting, but it's not a "true" fast. Some say anything over 50 calories breaks a fast, like a couple cups of coffee with milk will end it.
  • dykask
    Options

This study found that exercise-induced fat metabolism is enhanced while fasted.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21051570

Although it makes sense to me that fasting gives us a bit of an edge, I definitely agree with you. The long-term effects of calorie restriction and exercise are much more noteworthy.

Thanks for the study link. It seems in this study the exercise was at a more reasonable level than in the other in the other which was walking on a treadmill at 65% of max HR for 36 minutes.

Exercise over the long term does reduce fat if a person doesn't compensate and overeat, but it isn't a quick process. Exercise is more about improving heath and fat lose is just a part of that.
  • dykask
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm more interested in intermitted fasting as a way to bring the body back to a more healthy state. That goes along with the theory that excess fat storage is actually a protective mechanism to deal with too much insulin in the blood. High insulin causes fat to be stored, low insulin allows fat to be burned. There are multiple approaches to lower insulin, ketogenic diets, glycemic diets, calorie reduction, drugs, fasting, exercise and so forth. There are tradeoffs with all approaches. It is also important to keep in mind that insulin isn't the only factor and there are other hormones involved. Also it is important to note that heathy hormone levels will not be maintained if there is sustained over-eating. The causes of obesity is multifactorial including at least the amount of calories consumed, type of food consumed, genetics, gender, metabolic health, general health, smoking, drinking, other habits and activity level.

Simple calorie reduction is often pushed as the solution. In the short-term, calorie reduction almost always works. Still there are lots of issues with calorie reduction that often aren't addressed. Everything is estimates, there are also lots of adjustments that a body can make that impact the input and use of calories. Worst a result of using calorie reduction can be a lower metabolism that persists long term. This then makes it easier for people to regain the weight. For a study on this effect see http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/4/906.long
    Background: After weight loss, total energy expenditure—in particular, energy expenditure at low levels of physical activity—is lower than predicted by actual changes in body weight and composition. An important clinical issue is whether this reduction, which predisposes to weight regain, persists over time.

Objective: We aimed to determine whether this disproportionate reduction in energy expenditure persists in persons who have maintained a body-weight reduction of ≥10% for >1 y.

Design: Seven trios of sex- and weight-matched subjects were studied in an in-patient setting while receiving a weight-maintaining liquid formula diet of identical composition. Each trio consisted of a subject at usual weight (Wtinitial), a subject maintaining a weight reduction of ≥10% after recent (5–8 wk) completion of weight loss (Wtloss-recent), and a subject who had maintained a documented reduction in body weight of >10% for >1 y (Wtloss-sustained). Twenty-four-hour total energy expenditure (TEE) was assessed by precise titration of fed calories of a liquid formula diet necessary to maintain body weight. Resting energy expenditure (REE) and the thermic effect of feeding (TEF) were measured by indirect calorimetry. Nonresting energy expenditure (NREE) was calculated as NREE = TEE − (REE +TEF).

Results: TEE, NREE, and (to a lesser extent) REE were significantly lower in the Wtloss-sustained and Wtloss-recent groups than in the Wtinitial group. Differences from the Wtinitial group in energy expenditure were qualitatively and quantitatively similar after recent and sustained weight loss.

Conclusion: Declines in energy expenditure favoring the regain of lost weight persist well beyond the period of dynamic weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested in intermitted fasting as a way to bring the body back to a more healthy state.

If you are overweight and it helps you lose weight it will do that.
    That goes along with the theory that excess fat storage is actually a protective mechanism to deal with too much insulin in the blood. High insulin causes fat to be stored, low insulin allows fat to be burned.

This doesn't make sense in the absence of a calorie surplus/deficit. You will burn more fat than you store with a calorie deficit (and not have enough consistent insulin or topped up glycogen stores to interfere with that). If you store more fat than you burn it's because you have eaten more calories than you need to fuel activity. Nothing else makes sense.

Also, if someone is IR, that means their body is LESS able to store fat than someone with normal insulin sensitivity. Their cells are resistant to insulin, which is why their body keeps making more and more. To blame insulin resistance for fatness, rather than excess calories and obesity for become IR (much more common, although there is an inherent genetic risk factor and not everyone obese gets IR or everyone IR is obese), seems like an excuse, a desire to believe that you gained weight for some reason besides overeating.

If hunger is an issue, trying things like keto and IF could help with that, of course.

I like the idea of IF for reasons unrelated to any physical effects (which I am skeptical about). I find it more satisfying to eat main meals and not snack or graze and I think the latter is too often encouraged and doesn't work well for many, whereas things like eating windows and ADF/5:2 might. I also think experimenting with partial fasts or low cal days can be educational. I've never had trouble running on a 12-hour fast (which I don't personally consider a fast), but I do have issues so far exercising hard a on low cal day (500 cal).

In addition to experimenting with IF, I've experimented with mostly plant-based diets, including ways of eating that are much higher carb than what I normally fall into (my default seems to be 40% carbs). I have not found at all that I am tempted to eat more on this higher carb way of eating or gain weight -- quite the opposite. (But I like meat, eggs, and dairy, so...)
  • dykask
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm more interested in intermitted fasting as a way to bring the body back to a more healthy state.

That goes along with the theory that excess fat storage is actually a protective mechanism to deal with too much insulin in the blood. High insulin causes fat to be stored, low insulin allows fat to be burned.

This doesn't make sense in the absence of a calorie surplus/deficit. You will burn more fat than you store with a calorie deficit (and not have enough consistent insulin or topped up glycogen stores to interfere with that). If you store more fat than you burn it's because you have eaten more calories than you need to fuel activity. Nothing else makes sense.

Also, if someone is IR, that means their body is LESS able to store fat than someone with normal insulin sensitivity. Their cells are resistant to insulin, which is why their body keeps making more and more. To blame insulin resistance for fatness, rather than excess calories and obesity for become IR (much more common, although there is an inherent genetic risk factor and not everyone obese gets IR or everyone IR is obese), seems like an excuse, a desire to believe that you gained weight for some reason besides overeating.

If hunger is an issue, trying things like keto and IF could help with that, of course.

I like the idea of IF for reasons unrelated to any physical effects (which I am skeptical about). I find it more satisfying to eat main meals and not snack or graze and I think the latter is too often encouraged and doesn't work well for many, whereas things like eating windows and ADF/5:2 might. I also think experimenting with partial fasts or low cal days can be educational. I've never had trouble running on a 12-hour fast (which I don't personally consider a fast), but I do have issues so far exercising hard a on low cal day (500 cal).

In addition to experimenting with IF, I've experimented with mostly plant-based diets, including ways of eating that are much higher carb than what I normally fall into (my default seems to be 40% carbs). I have not found at all that I am tempted to eat more on this higher carb way of eating or gain weight -- quite the opposite. (But I like meat, eggs, and dairy, so...)

You have it backwards with insulin resistance and fat storage. If you are IR it means your body is producing a lot more insulin to overcome the resistance. That high insulin will force glucose into the cells and that increases fat storage. The high levels of insulin a take longer to clear out of the blood preventing fat from being burned. When the body can no longer produce enough insulin to overcome the resistance you have type 2 diabetes and likely to be given even more insulin. The result of higher levels of insulin is more weight gain.

It is understandable thinking that IR blocks fat storage as it does increase the required levels of insulin to store fat. The problem is that normally people don't have problems with producing ever higher amounts of insulin and often are obese before they reach a point that insulin production can't keep up. Once insulin production can't overcome the resistance, you quickly become ill.

When you are insulin sensitive not very much insulin is needed to get glucose to be absorbed into cells. Then while fasting (even between meals or snacks) the insulin level drops to lower levels that don't inhibit fat burning.

IR (insulin resistance) is a marker for metabolic disease as with obesity. Higher insulin levels correspond to higher levels of body fat. http://www.jci.org/articles/view/10842 Insulin isn't the only hormone involved in fat storage, it is just the primary one.

How this makes you fat when you are eating less makes sense when you realize the body has control over it's resting metabolism. There are a lot of changes the body can make to reduce metabolism and most of them leave a person feeling lousy or at least tried and weak.

As far as if 12 hour fast is valid or not, I'm not sure. Probably everyone hits 12 hours sometimes. When I have fasted it has been closer to 20 hours. My exercise patterns are continuing to improve with short fasts. A couple months ago I could only do easy walks, now I'm up to light HIIT. I don't know if that is normal, but I did take a pretty big hit at first.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I wish i could remember where i read this and the exact details, but the gist of it was that people were 'healthier' and "more disease free" in the great depression, and one of the reasons was put down to fasting aka not enough food.

Obviously there was much more to it than i just explained, I will try and find it.
  • dykask
    Options
    I wish i could remember where i read this and the exact details, but the gist of it was that people were 'healthier' and "more disease free" in the great depression, and one of the reasons was put down to fasting aka not enough food.

Obviously there was much more to it than i just explained, I will try and find it.

I've also read there were also large decreases in diabetes during the WWI & WWII in the US probably due to sugar rationing. I think I might have read that in Dr. Jason Fong's blog.
  • dykask
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just a clarification post where I'm assuming intermittent fasting is as beneficial at reducing average insulin levels.

Let's say 500 calorie deficit is maintained, some possible outcomes.
    • (1) Doing Intermittent fasting and it helps
    • --- Result building more fat than the deficit and the body raises metabolism to make up the difference! Yay! :love:
    • (2) CICO prediction
    • --- Burn deficit in fat
    • (3) Typical result
    • --- Burn less than deficit in fat and the body reduces metabolism to make up the difference. :disappointed:
    • (4) Sickly result
    • --- No fat loss and the body reduces metabolism by the deficit amount. People feel sluggish, low energy, etc :scream:
    • (5) Worse case result
    • --- Fat is added and the metabolism is reduced by more than the deficit. Insulin resistance is high and increasing, next stop is probably type 2 diabetes. At this point a person has at least one foot in the grave. :confounded:

I'm pretty sure that 4 years ago before I started exercising again I was dipping into state 5 and quickly headed for an untimely death. Exercise didn't cure the problem, but did start to help improve the situation. Improving my diet helped even more. Now I'm seeking better results, maybe with some fasting. I'm warming up to the idea.

I personally believe most people hover around state 3. Very few people obtain state 2 (the CICO prediction) but a few do and they are very vocal here on MFP. I'm hopeful that state one is achievable and my initial results are encouraging but it is an extremely high bar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You have it backwards with insulin resistance and fat storage. If you are IR it means your body is producing a lot more insulin to overcome the resistance. That high insulin will force glucose into the cells and that increases fat storage. The high levels of insulin a take longer to clear out of the blood preventing fat from being burned. When the body can no longer produce enough insulin to overcome the resistance you have type 2 diabetes and likely to be given even more insulin. The result of higher levels of insulin is more weight gain.

Nope, although what you post is a common misunderstanding.

IR means that the cells are resistant to insulin -- it doesn't do it's job and so the body needs to produce more and more. It doesn't result in MORE fat being stored in the cells, however. Just more insulin.

There's no need for insulin to be continually present unless you also just keep eating and eating.

Anyway, bigger point is that typically IR follows obesity, not the reverse. And plenty of obese people aren't IR.

Are you IR, or just assuming? I am not and never was.
    As far as if 12 hour fast is valid or not, I'm not sure. Probably everyone hits 12 hours sometimes.

Right -- I'm not saying it's not "valid" but simply not what I'd consider a fast. Eat dinner at 6 (as I occasionally do) and don't eat til 10 the next day or even wait until noon (not uncommon for me on a weekend, although less common than it used to be). That's not a fast in my book. What I consider a fast is nothing for a full day -- like between dinner on Aug 6 and breakfast on Aug 8. IF is not based on full fasts, of course -- for the purpose of IF you do a window or a low cal day (like I said, 5:2 or ADF is what appeals to me).

I mostly run and bike and swim for cardio. I can run fasted without issue, but I have a hard time running and sticking to 500 calories (as on a low day with 5:2) and not struggling. Not sure if that goes away or not, so I've been assuming I'd have to exercise on eating days and take the low days as recovery, but am a bit worried that that might interfere with recovery. I need to just experiment, I suppose.
  • dykask
    Options

Nope, although what you post is a common misunderstanding.

IR means that the cells are resistant to insulin -- it doesn't do it's job and so the body needs to produce more and more. It doesn't result in MORE fat being stored in the cells, however. Just more insulin.

There's no need for insulin to be continually present unless you also just keep eating and eating.

Anyway, bigger point is that typically IR follows obesity, not the reverse. And plenty of obese people aren't IR.

Are you IR, or just assuming? I am not and never was.
    As far as if 12 hour fast is valid or not, I'm not sure. Probably everyone hits 12 hours sometimes.

Right -- I'm not saying it's not "valid" but simply not what I'd consider a fast. Eat dinner at 6 (as I occasionally do) and don't eat til 10 the next day or even wait until noon (not uncommon for me on a weekend, although less common than it used to be). That's not a fast in my book. What I consider a fast is nothing for a full day -- like between dinner on Aug 6 and breakfast on Aug 8. IF is not based on full fasts, of course -- for the purpose of IF you do a window or a low cal day (like I said, 5:2 or ADF is what appeals to me).

I mostly run and bike and swim for cardio. I can run fasted without issue, but I have a hard time running and sticking to 500 calories (as on a low day with 5:2) and not struggling. Not sure if that goes away or not, so I've been assuming I'd have to exercise on eating days and take the low days as recovery, but am a bit worried that that might interfere with recovery. I need to just experiment, I suppose.

About five years ago I was pre-diabetic and most likely was IR.

Anyway what you are saying about high insulin levels is simply incorrect. High insulin also pushes glucose and fatty acids into fat cells and that makes them bigger. In short insulin is an anabolic hormone. Insulin resistance prevents insulin from being as effective and results in higher levels of glucose in the blood which triggers more insulin production. At some point the glucose does go into cells and it takes time for insulin levels to fall to the point that lipolysis isn't inhibited.

http://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(11)70014-6/abstract

In short, high levels of insulin stimulates fat storage and prevents fat from being metabolized. IR not only means that your cells are resisting insulin, it also means the body is producing more insulin to overcome the resistance. When you hit the point that the insulin resistance isn't overcome you are then a type 2 diabetic.

The whole point of LCHF diets is to keep blood sugar low so that insulin stays low so that fat can be metabolized.