I have decided to NOT eat back exercise calories..

Options

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I was just playing around with the goal settings on here and if i add that i will do 1hr of exercise six times a week it doesnt change my calorie allowance, you would think it should. If i do nothing i should eat 1500 to lose 1/2 a lb or if i work out and burn 2000 calories i should eat them back to lose 1/2 a lb a week. I think i might just use this site a calorie counter and do my own thing which is eat about 1400 and workout everyday. If i need to eat more i will if i dont oh well not going ot bother me.

The reason why it doesn't change is because you have to log your exercise for it to accurately raise your caloric intake. You burn different amounts doing different activities.

They make you eat back your spent calories.
    I know how it works.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I haven't been eating back my calories and it seems to be working so far.... I'm not sure how it'll work in the long run though.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My dad doesn't eat back excercise calories and he's marked his life as sedentary when he's an engineer and thus up ladders all the time. It's worked beautifully for him thus far...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    My fiance didnt really eat back his and workout out 3 times a week with weights and dropped 17 lbs in a month. I ate back my worked out every day and lost what i should of from just the diet 1 lb a week. if i didnt workout and just ate 1200 calories i would of dropped 1lb a week still.

Jillian Micheals on the biggest loser suggest 1400 ish to eat and not eating back calories. Her workouts burn about 200 plus it is great at muscle strengthening so it probably burns more.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have had success not eating back exercise cals when my bmi was over 30 or so - nor was I hungry. As my BMI approached 25, it stopped working (I plateaued for 3 months right at bmi=25), and I found that I was hungry if I didn't eat back those exercise cals.... so, at least from my experience, it depends on how much weight you have to lose.

DITTO to the 10th power for me.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes, I'm curious to see.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would listen to sleepytexan, she knows what she is talking about. The biggest thing you are going to do by not feeding your body enough caloires is eat muscle away. Your body looks for food in several areas, first your fat storage and then your muscle because it can aquire the proteins. If you don't feed it properly, it will eat your muscle. Less muscle means lower BMR, higher bf% (aka, less lean body mass) and a slower metabolism. I challenge you to look at any of these threads similiar to yours. I guarentee you that all of them have people not eating enough, working out a ton and hit a plateau. I bet if you did a poll and looked at all the people on this board that have very low body fat, you will see they eat a lot (2000+ calories, both men and woman).

Also, please keep in mind, a lot of people on here have 100 lbs+ to lose and having a 1000 calorie deficit is not overly dangerous like it would be with you. You only want to lose 25 lbs, that means your lean body mass is higher which means your muscles have higher caloric needs.

In the end, it's your choice, but I highly encourage you to eat properly. Below is a quote I wrote in 50 + threads about now. It's one way of approaching your goal. I will say, I have tried the eat little calories and made zero progress in 3 months with p90x. I upped my caloric intake by 600 over a few months and the weight, inches and body fat have all come off quickly and I am within my goal of 9% body fat.

One challenge I would propose, get some body fat calipers. Test yourself in several area's and go a month without eating back your caloires and then test yourself again. See if there is muscle growth. The second month, eat back your calories (i would suggest preplanning yoru workout and food like I do) and see how much muscle growth you have and compare to the two. Remember, weight is fairly meaningless, body composition will tell you a better story on your health.

Here is my perception on the matter. I actually use this site just to track my calories. I use a different method to determine how many calories I should be eating and suggest it to many. According to this website, if you use their calculations, if you workout and burn 300 calories, than you should eat an extra 300 calories that day because the site has already built in a deficit for you. The more you have to lose the bigger an acceptable deficit is but the closer your goal is, the smaller your deficit should be. This is because the more muscle you have, the lower the body fat, the more fuel you body needs to sustains it's functions. Also, a deficit is should never been more than 1000 calories a day (which would allow for 2 lbs per week loss) but it more acceptable to do 1 lb a week or 500 calorie deficit. Additionally, a woman should eat not less than 1200 net calories. This is the amount of calories after you workout. So if you burn 500 calories, you need at least 1700 calories; men should be no less than 1500-1700 after workout calories from my research. Also, a large part of these calories should be driven by protein based sources. The ammino acids in the protein is what stimulates muscle growth. The more muscle your body has, the more calories you burn at rest.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I then go into a custom setup under my goals and set my daily intake for 3000 calories (well I will starting sunday, right now it's 2800 because I haven't officially started p90x until sunday). Additionally, to follow the p90x food guide, I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Very interesting opinions. Bump for later read.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I agree, it makes no sense to me to eat all the calories that a person would burn in exercise. My logic (could be faulty) would figure that a person would neither lose nor gain weight if burning the same amount as intake. My goal was to lose 2lbs a week and at 2200+. I am counting on the burning of calories to help me that goal.

Randy

But you aren't "burning the same amount as intake". Your MFP calorie goal has already considered your deficit. So when you eat what MFP tells you to eat, you are eating fewer calories than you burn. MFP wants you to have the same calorie deficit every day, so it adds the calories burned through purposeful exercise back into your calorie goal.

Basically, it looks like this for a 2lb per week weight loss:

(BMR + Activity Level) -1000= Your Daily Calorie Goal

On days that you exercise, it looks like this:

(BMR + Activity Level + Exercise Calories) -1000 = Your Daily Calorie Goal.

See? You have a 1000 calorie deficit even when you eat your exercise calories.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've lost a ton of weight one week when I had a giant Arby's binge one night, and I've lost almost nothing when I was spot on with my exercise and food intake. The body isn't able to be boiled down to very simple math, and I really don't like the whole "starvation mode" explanation 100%, but honestly if you think you're going to be able to work out hard while netting next to nothing for calories or your body composition will be what you desire, you're kidding yourself.

I agree, it's not simple math and I do believe in starvation mode. That said, people will argue religiously about eating back exercise calories but unless you're talking about extreme, consistent and long term calorie deficits a large percentage of what people consider to be eating too little in relation to eating exercise calories can be easily described from a standpoint of standard deviation.

Take BMR for example, this site provide a guestimation to individual BMR, logging exercise calories can easily provide an over estimation and caloric intake can also be easily underestimated. Consider all of those together and not eating back your 300 exercise calories can certainly still leave you in a healthy weight loss range.

Another point for consideration, assume that with you have been successful at losing 1.5 pounds a week with diet alone, that's ~750 cals a day deficit. Now assume that you've changed your goals this week to 1 pound (500/day deficit) a week with diet and exercise.

For every day of the week you have a 500 calorie deficit in diet alone and you expend 250 cals in exercise. Your going to tell me that my total calorie deficit of 750 is not going to lead to 1.5 pounds lost as it did the previous week but rather is going to lead to starvation mode based only on the fact that i didn't eat back my exercise calories?

I for one rarely ever eat my exercise calories back and I've been successful in going from around 30% body fat to around 10% and am in the best shape I've ever been in (and I'm not new to fitness)... Yet I do believe in starvation mode.

MFP is a tool to help in weight loss not a rule book. If you are 1000 below goal and not losing weight I would yes you need to start eating more and get your metabolism into shape, if you're 300 calories below goal and not losing weight I'd say that one of the guestimations MFP has provided is off and you need to adjust accordingly.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For some eating back works, for others it doesn't. I think it is worth giving it a go either way for a month or so - isn't going ot do perminant damage if it doesn''t work (as long as you're eating your minimum - around 1200 for a woman)

Currently, I'm eating most of my exercise calories (I leave a margin for error). I'm not losing any weight (gained three pounds last week!!) but I'm losing inches. I'm hitting the weights pretty hard and am loving the muscles!! So I need to feed my body to achieve my personal goal - fat loss rather than weight loss.

It is a hard mental thing to get my head around and I'm not fully there. But so far the results are working for me. Might not work for you.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I was just playing around with the goal settings on here and if i add that i will do 1hr of exercise six times a week it doesnt change my calorie allowance, you would think it should. If i do nothing i should eat 1500 to lose 1/2 a lb or if i work out and burn 2000 calories i should eat them back to lose 1/2 a lb a week. I think i might just use this site a calorie counter and do my own thing which is eat about 1400 and workout everyday. If i need to eat more i will if i dont oh well not going ot bother me.

Your exercise goal is just that-a goal. It has absolutely no influence on your calorie goal. MFP gives you absolutely no credit for thinking about exercising.

If you LOG your exercise on MFP, THEN it counts those calories towards your calculations. You get no credit until you log the exercise.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    just don't put your body into starvation mode because then you won't lose any weight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! will keep checking this out...I have been stuck for 2 weeks.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't really eat mine. My net is usually around 1000 and I have lost 82 lbs, I have tons of energy and feel great. It's all about doing what works for YOU!

Forgot to add that I only 5´ though, so probably makes a difference in how many calories my body needs...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My starting weight and goal were the same as yours, and I ate mine back.

I was never able to lose more than one pound a week when I was eating 1200 calories, except that one time I had a 48 hour stomach flu. :wink:

But at 1350 plus exercise calories, I routinely lost 1.5 a week. As I got closer to my goal, I changed it to 1400, and lost about a pound a week. When I got under 140, I upped it to 1500 and lost a half pound a week. Now I'm still at 1500, but I take weekends "off" from any food tracking. And I'm still losing a half pound a week, except last week when I lost two pounds.

I love my food, and would be weak and miserable if I didn't eat back those exercise calories. I'm not saying that will work for everyone, just that it worked for me.

According to the measuring tape system of calculating body fat percentage, 23 of the 28 pounds I lost have been from fat. I've kept a good deal of my lean muscle mass. (I know that way of calculated body fat isn't the most accurate, but it's a decent estimate!) I couldn't have kept that if I wasn't refueling my body after workouts.

All this sounds really good to me!

I think i am about to hit a dreaded plateau this week, so i am considering changing my goal to 0.5lbs a week so it ups my calories and see how i get on then.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I hope the larger deficit you are creating works OK for you. It seems that some people resond well to a large calorie deficit, others not so much.
    Personally, eating up to my net calorie allowance of 1500 has been very successful for me, I hope you find a sustainable solution that works for you too.,
  • kingnige
    kingnige Posts: 1
    Options
    thanks to all the people who have reponded here with excellent advice.

I have only just started and have a BMI over 30. I ate back my exercise calories this week and my weight seemed to stay the same. Going to try for the next couple of weeks not eating back my exercise calories (although eating if I feel hungry) to see if it makes any difference.

will post the results as they come in
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating your exercise calories yet? There is already a deficit set on MFP. I understand if you have tried (2 weeks) and it doesn't work for you. We all have to find what works for our own bodies. If you set your goal at 2 pounds a week and don't eat back any exercise calories you may be successful for awhile but I think you will eventually plateau. Then consider changing your goal to 1 or 1.5 pounds and eating back exercise calories for a while. I really think that the limit is 1200 net calories. A day once in awhile under won't hurt but consistently will have your body fighting your loss not cooperating with it. Another option is cycling or zig zag calories where you look at your deficit weekly not daily with some higher days and lower days.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am thoroughly confused by the eating back calories theory. Granted I am grateful to have extra calories when I have burned alot because dammit I'm hungry. However on days like today when I worked my butt off just by cleaning and gardening there is no way I am going to stuff an extra 900 calories into myself. I guess I am with the do what works for you group. I am only a month in with taking control of weight, so I guess time will tell what works best for me.