Is motivation enough for you?

Options
I asked a friend of mine how he's so consistent with his work outs since I've been in a bit of a rut lately, and he said to me the difference between people that reach their goals, and people that don't isn't motivation, but dedication. That really stuck with me and I've kept that in mind, enough to hit up the gym for the first time in 4 days. How do you guys stick to your routine when your mind isn't in it? Do you just get on with it? I haven't seen results in about 6 months so the momentum has been declining for me. I know I just need to keep at it..

Replies

• 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from wanting to be better at my sport/martial art. It drives my whole fitness plan. If your heart truly isn't in what you are doing, find the thing that you can really get excited about. When you do that, the dedication will be there for you.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agree with your friend completely. I have no motivation at all when the alarm clock goes off at 445 am, but I still get up and head to the gym. I'm driven to make my goals, I'm passionate about it, focused on my end goal. I guess that's the same as dedication.

I have only a few friends on here. We talk a lot, we share ideas on workouts, diet, compliment each other, and give each other a hard time now and then. We don't just hit like, or say Great job occasionally, we actually post up workouts, our goals, talk about mistakes, things we have done well. we are all driven to succeed, even when we aren't necessarily motivated to do so.
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    emz_1993 wrote: »
    the difference between people that reach their goals, and people that don't isn't motivation, but dedication.

That is going to stick with me too! Thanks for sharing the quote!

I'm not at all motivated. I just try to make a habit out of working out in the mornings to get it over with. I always regret skipping workouts but I have yet to regret getting it done. And just think about the results you'll have in 6 months if you continue to work out versus giving up now.
  • JenTrikes
    JenTrikes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree that dedication is key, though motivation certainly helps. For me, accountability is a big deal too. I created a spreadsheet/calendar that has a preplanned exercise routine marked in for each day. I make myself open that spreadsheet before email, Facebook, etc. It stays open until I exercise and enter my daily stats, or until I make myself type in that I'm skipping that day. It may seem like a simple thing, but keeping track of my activity reminds me that my health and fitness is solely mine to earn or lose.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My motivation reasons have changed since I made this major lifestyle change over a year ago. But as a former scholarship athlete in my previous life, I learned first hand that hard work and dedication yields results. So I've kept focus on getting my workouts in and been logging each meal religiously so I have accurate totals and can evaluate what's working or not working. Because I log so carefully when I gain or lose weight it's not a surprise. I know exactly why (nearly 90% it's eating).

If you haven't seen results in 6 months (and actually I'd say 2-3 weeks even) it may be time to change things up. Best to consult a trainer/nutritionist however some ideas could be:

-switching up your cardio/lifting routine and intensity
    -reducing dairy, sodium, sugar, BREADY carbs in diet
    -drinking more water
    -eating 5 smaller meals a day of say 250 cals or so (again not sure what your particular calorie goals are so best to consult a professional)

But whatever change you make, do it for a week straight and see if it helps. If not, try something else the next week. And again the next week. If you keep focused on your goals every day and keep trying, you WILL reach them!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    emz_1993 wrote: »
    I asked a friend of mine how he's so consistent with his work outs since I've been in a bit of a rut lately, and he said to me the difference between people that reach their goals, and people that don't isn't motivation, but dedication. That really stuck with me and I've kept that in mind, enough to hit up the gym for the first time in 4 days. How do you guys stick to your routine when your mind isn't in it? Do you just get on with it? I haven't seen results in about 6 months so the momentum has been declining for me. I know I just need to keep at it..

For me it's more like habit or routine.

I get up every morning.
    I brush my teeth and get dressed.
    I go to work ..... and part of my commute to work is a walk.
    I sit all day, but fortunately I have an hour at lunch where I'm set free ... so I happily go for a walk.
    Then, of course, there's a walk on the way home.
    When I get home, my husband and I exercise together because it's a good time for us to talk.
    After dinner, I do the dishes.
    Once a week, I do my laundry.

It's all just part of what I do.

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It becomes habit if you do it long enough. Like brushing your teeth. And then when you are like me, and love routine, it can be a real bummer when you skip a workout. It feels like the whole day is ruined because you didn't stick to your normal routine.

My dad often wonders why I get so irritated and angry when he interferes with my workout time.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with your friend. Motivation might get you started, but it doesn't last forever.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Dedication is the key. I have made my weight loss and fitness goals part of "adulting". Don't always feel like it? Too bad. Do it anyway. This is what I tell myself, and it's paying off big time.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Dedication is the key and I also get a lot of motivation from my MFP friends and I love to challenge myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of both. You do have to be dedicated to the purpose. But you also don't want to be just a machine and go through the motions just because.
    If you reach your goal, dedication will keep you consistent, but motivation will encourage you to do even better or to attain something you want.

I'm dedicated to my family and making sure we do well. My daughter says "hey let's take a Disney Cruise!" Do we need it? No, but now because of cost, I will be more motivated to getting more clients and cut some spending to ensure we can go. See?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Dedication and resolve seem to get me to hit my goals. As I hit those goals I get motivated to keep on to the next one and so on! Motivations and goals change, dedication and resolve are your rocks. B)
  • _annevalerie
    _annevalerie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It can be tough sometimes. I am pretty good at going to the gym 3x a week. Days where I don't feel like it, I just tell myself that is I don't go, I'll regret it for the rest of the day and that usually helps me
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    We all have different ideas and ways of expressing how we reach our goals. I do it forming habits. I work myself into a deep groove of doing what I need to do, and then I feel like doing it. Just wanting the reward at the end doesn't motivate me or cause me to dedicate myself. Ironically, making myself do something that rewards me, by making me feel healthier/good/pleased with myself, makes me feel like doing it again.