Want to buy an elliptical- Suggestions?

Options
Looking to buy an inexpensive elliptical (less than $250) that will last a solid amount of time with few annoyances! I have a limited space so smaller and lighter is better, but I am open as long as I get a good piece of equipment!

Help! and Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    not to high jack your post but any suggestions for a treadmill by any chance?
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I bought one used on Craigslist. It was 60 dollars and practically new. The lady used it once or twice and used it mainly as a clothes hanger. You may want to look at your local craigslist and see what's out there. You may save a lot of money! (I have a pick up truck, so being able to pick it up and deliver it to my home made it even more economical!)
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    you might be hard pressed to find one new at that price that is any good. i would look at 2nd hand, garage sales, etc.

i bought the schwinn 420. not 250$, but not a bad piece of machine. it's not small though.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    One of my friends bought the Sunny mini-elliptical and loves it. Here's the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B0016BWV3G
  • serabee5
    serabee5 Posts: 89
    Options
    I recently purchased an Elliptical, and you will have to go to Craigslist, E-bay or Amazon to find one in that price range :(
    But there are plenty of good ones out there - bought by people who never use them.

I bought a Horizon (which is made by the same company that makes the Live Strong) and have enjoyed it.:smile:
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    When we were looking for our elliptical the cheapest one that we found was a Profoam that was 399.00 and it was very unstable. Be careful how much you put into it because it could be the old saying "you get what you pay for". A lot of what you want depends on the weight limit that will be on it and also the features and what it does. I have attached some links that you may be interested in...one is a 399 proform..which I have tried and it wasn't worth the money. The other one is a cheaper one that is in your price range.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11248640&cp=4406646.4413986.4417717
    http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=841755&cp=4406646.4413986.4417717
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I bought one used on Craigslist. It was 60 dollars and practically new. The lady used it once or twice and used it mainly as a clothes hanger. You may want to look at your local craigslist and see what's out there. You may save a lot of money! (I have a pick up truck, so being able to pick it up and deliver it to my home made it even more economical!)

I was going to mention that and I forgot to! Glad that you mentioned Craigs list.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Good idea re: Craigslist. DH & I bought a Gold's Gym brand one at WalMart for right around $250. It doesn't have you enter your gender/weight or anything but it has 6 different "workouts" that alter the resistance over 30 minutes, or you can just set the resistance level at the beginning and work out for as long as you want.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This time of year, stores have phenomenal deals on them. I got a proform (can't remember the model since I'm not at home) and I love it. Try Sports Authority if there is one where you live. I paid $249 for mine on sale, and it's worth every penny. It's very stable. Make sure you try it out in th estore before you buy any type cuz you really do need to be comfortable with it.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think you should look for a "gently used" elliptical on craigslist and so forth in your area. Even the cheapest ones new, starting around $400, aren't built to last. We have a Nordic Trac 800 model or something and have had it less than 5 years and its really becoming worn out and have been replacing parts on it. It was around $800 when we bought it at the time. The most weight that has every used the machine is 240lbs. My point is that home workout equipment isn't all that sturdy and built to last, even when you spend a good chunk of money. So try to find used and of good value. Lots of people spend high dollar on work out equipment then hardly touch it for a couple of years and then end up selling it in garage sale or craigslist for a fraction of the original cost and its barely been used. So there are good deals out there, happy shopping!
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks all- been perusing CL for about 3 months and there are few in my area less than $250 but I may have found one today! My luck is I ask and then one just pops up!

I had been using one at my local gym but I hate paying nearly $40 a month for a service I can barely use with my work schedule :(