Fitbit Charge HR BMR or TDEE

Options
Dear all,

I recently acquired my Fitbit charge HR, and enjoying it so far! Really enjoying the heart rate monitor and step counter! However, I'm unsure if the calories burned is your TDEE or BMR and I'm struggling to see any sure information anywhere! Does anyone know which calorie burn it counts?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    Dear all,

I recently acquired my Fitbit charge HR, and enjoying it so far! Really enjoying the heart rate monitor and step counter! However, I'm unsure if the calories burned is your TDEE or BMR and I'm struggling to see any sure information anywhere! Does anyone know which calorie burn it counts?

It's your TDEE. :)

ETA: I also have the Charge HR and I love it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The total calories Fitbit gives you is your TDEE, accounting for all movement you do on top of your BMR
  • emmas434
    emmas434 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! @Susieq_1994 It's like my new toy, loving the insight it gives me!
  • emmas434
    emmas434 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you found the charge HR to initially overestimate calories?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    Have you found the charge HR to initially overestimate calories?

Your first several days the calorie count may be skewed as Fitbit adjusts to your movements. Judge your loss over the next month and if your burn is being overcalculated, you can adjust your stride length or height to bring it down.
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have an HR. I was told that in order for it to be accurate, you'd have to wear it around your ankle area. Has anyone else heard of this???
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bruja924 wrote: »
    I have an HR. I was told that in order for it to be accurate, you'd have to wear it around your ankle area. Has anyone else heard of this???

It's designed to be worn around your wrist so that must mean that is where it would be most accurate.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I wear just a fitbit charge. Was not happy with the heart rate monitor on the HR version. Wasn't even close to my chest strap. I do wear mine on my ankle. It keeps me from getting extra steps while driving or from arm movements.
  • ElaineKenney62
    ElaineKenney62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you use the HR for every day activity or just exercise?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like my Charge HR but had to disable the connection with MFP because it was giving me too many calories. Iv'e been stuck in maintenance since I started using it. I know people say they trust thei Fitbit adjusted goal and are losing with it, but it isn't the case for me. I have a pretty high activity level.