425 and need some help.

At my highest of 493 I had a serious wake up call when I hit that scale and seen the number. I'm now around 425 give or take a few. I want advice on how to lose weight the correct way. Appease help I would be fine if some one called and explained some things to me as well.

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    What do you mean "the correct way". You're obviously doing something correctly if you're down from 493 to 425.

It's a lifestyle thing - better eating and more exercise. Are you using MFP to guide you how much calories you should consume per day? Log all your food and all your exercise, and make changes as necessary.

What figure are you aiming for? Don't expect it all to happen in a very short time. A small amount per week is better. My numbers are far different to yours, but I'm doing 1 lb per week and it is working.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Read some of the posts here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Have you discussed weight loss with your doctor? It might be a good idea to get a check up and bring up it up with your doctor. Make sure your doctor approves of any exercise you are going to do.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    For weight loss all you need to do is create a calorie deficit.
    Create a reasonable yet responsible deficit. You don't want to lose too fast because you run the risk of losing way more muscle mass then you would want to
    Make sustainable changes. For example- could you eat low carb forever? If your answer is no( my answer is no way!) Then it's probably best to make changes that last a lifetime like learning portion control and moderation. Deprivation diets doesn't last and don't work for the long term but moderation and portion control are tools that can be used for life.
    Remember that fad diets and gimmicks and shakes and pills are not the way to create long term healthy relationship with food and usually end in failure anyway.
    Just remember that weight loss comes down to calories.
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    What nof60 said seems really dead on, all the way down the line. You will hear lots of people here saying that it is straightforward- calories in, calories out. Which is of course true. But there is a big difference between wanting to lose 20 - 30 pounds that crept up over the years and starting at 423. It will be more complicated for you - if it is possible I'd say enlist your doctor, an exercise person, and a nutritionist to maintain your underlying health. Your challenge may be greater, but you have many amazing victories ahead of you. Best wishes for a successful enterprise!
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Congratulations so far. I notice your diary is empty. A good place to start is logging.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Everything that nof60 said and read some of the Success stories. There's some great ones from folks who lost more than you.