How to calculate Beachbody workouts?? Like PiYo

Options
Hi, I'm just getting started but am trying to figure out the workout entry for my PiYo series. Does someone have experience with that? Please:) and thank you.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Go with the generic type of workout. I would log piyo as yoga. Others can prob be logged as circuit training. It's all an estimate.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yoga is about 2-4 METS so from hatha to power yoga

Weight in kg x 2 or 4 gives you a 60 min estimate ...use that as a guide
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor. I got an inexpensive polar. It makes tracking exercise so much easier
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rebeccavh wrote: »
    I use my heart rate monitor. I got an inexpensive polar. It makes tracking exercise so much easier

A HR monitor does not give a calorie burn for yoga or Pilates
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Mine does. It's just significantly lower than when doing cardio. That being said. Depending on which piyo workout I'm doing. I burn anywhere from 80-250 calories in the 20-40 minutes.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Mine does. It's just significantly lower than when doing cardio. That being said. Depending on which piyo workout I'm doing. I burn anywhere from 80-250 calories in the 20-40 minutes.

What it does is track your heart rate
    Under specific conditions the algorithm that converts this to calorie burn estimate, via oxygen uptake, is based on steady state cardio at some intensity (up to lactate threshold)
    Yoga is not steady state
    The number your HRM provides for yoga is just a number, any other number would be just as accurate
    But if your bio feedback proves that the number you get is working for you over a decent amount of time (based on accurate food logging and weight goals) then it's fair enough to believe

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm just getting started but am trying to figure out the workout entry for my PiYo series. Does someone have experience with that? Please:) and thank you.

I've created my own exercises for beachbody workouts like CIZE and used the calorie burn on my Fitbit.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    some trackers have yoga programs that you can use or u can get a bluetooth chest strap and use a app like digifit to pair with the HR chest strap and synce to ur phone.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    tiggerlove wrote: »
    some trackers have yoga programs that you can use or u can get a bluetooth chest strap and use a app like digifit to pair with the HR chest strap and synce to ur phone.

No doubt based on METS and not HR unless very expensive kit

Can you link to some of these trackers so I can have a look please? It would be interesting to see what they are claiming
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yoga is about 2-4 METS so from hatha to power yoga

Weight in kg x 2 or 4 gives you a 60 min estimate ...use that as a guide

With this equation, I would use your weight in kg x 2. X 4 would be too much. I use to do PiYo a lot and through trial and error I found I burned 150 calories an hour.