Fitbit - Calories In vs Calories Out

Options
Hi all,

I'm sure you've seen this question before, but I'm having trouble understanding Fitbit's Calories in vs. Calories out calculation.. I just started using mine yesterday but it's numbers can be a little discouraging. I only ate 800 calories yesterday (long day, fell asleep early lol) and it still said I was 403 calories OVER for the day. (963 cals in - 1560 cals out) - Goal was set to 560 but I'm not sure why so low?

Today (it is currently 8pm) I've only eaten 989 calories in, and it still says I'm 98 calories over for the day (989 cals in - 1675 cals out). My settings are currently set at 2lbs/week, -1000 deficit, and hard intensity (I know I know - I'm updating this today lol) and I'm 5 feet currently around 135 lbs. My food plan on the website says "You're 98 over your daily goal of 891 cals." - Again, very low?

Can somebody explain this to me? Also, I'm a little new to what it means to have a deficit..

Thank you, I'd love to learn a little more to make my plan a lot more healthy and realistic. Ps feel free to add me as a friend; Just created a new account :smile:

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food in fitbit or mfp? I log all my food in MFP and sometimes when they sync throughout the day there are double entries sent over to fitbit. Usually when I prelog and edit later in the day. I just delete the wrong entries and it's all good.
  • medukins
    medukins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Are you logging your food in fitbit or mfp? I log all my food in MFP and sometimes when they sync throughout the day there are double entries sent over to fitbit. Usually when I prelog and edit later in the day. I just delete the wrong entries and it's all good.

I have been logging into Fitbit and Fitbit only (so far). I haven't added Fitbit to MFP yet :smile: I also checked the food I logged and it is pretty accurate what calories I have eaten.. I just don't understand why my goal is set so low and how Fitbit recommended it
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Your goal is set based on what you entered on how much you want to lose per week. I prefer MFP for food logging and just let fitbit handle the exercise.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have also found that my calories for Fitbit go up as the day progresses. While at 8 pm I might have 34 calories left, by midnight I might have 200 calories left.

I noticed that MFP and Fitbit are off in how many calories they think you should have to lose weight. I tweaked my MFP goals to match the Fitbit goals because that number is lower.

It was tough to figure out but once I got it going, it was a lot better.

I log all of my food in MFP. Sometimes the two apps don't update properly and I have to force close/sync until they do
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    However, the numbers you are throwing out there sound pretty low!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    So you're set to lose 2lbs a week which is a 1000 calorie deficit. You wont get 'in the zone' or 'under' until you're near or hit that 1000 calories less than you've burned.

I only ate 800 calories yesterday (long day, fell asleep early lol) and it still said I was 403 calories OVER for the day. (963 cals in - 1560 cals out) - Goal was set to 560 but I'm not sure why so low?

This is because you only had a 597 deficit at that point in time, you didn't burn enough to get the 1000 calorie deficit.This is what I'm guessing, as I'm often confused with fitbits numbers aswell, someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
    Losing 2lbs a week is incredibly hard, near impossible at your weight.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What I'm getting out of this post is that based on your heigh, current weight and activity level, you are trying to lose to much weight per week.

At your size and what appears to be a low level of activity, your TDEE may very well be around 1800-1900 calories. Subtract -1000 a day and that is why you are getting those low numbers. I do not believe that Fitbit has the 1200 minimum guidelines like MFP does.

You are going to have to do one of two things, or a combination of the two. Increase your activity level, (which at your size would have to be a significant amount, and perhaps not reasonable). Or decrease your goal (maybe a 1 pound a week and a 500 pound deficit).
  • EllieJac1
    EllieJac1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am having same issues.
    I think i am eating and burning. But always under!
    10p at night, can't eat anymore
  • medukins
    Options
    However, the numbers you are throwing out there sound pretty low!

Thank you for your help! Yes they are pretty low. I've changed my level/deficit and will start using MFP for food logging instead of Fitbit. Hopefully it'll all work out like yours! Thanks again
  • medukins
    Options
    So you're set to lose 2lbs a week which is a 1000 calorie deficit. You wont get 'in the zone' or 'under' until you're near or hit that 1000 calories less than you've burned.

I only ate 800 calories yesterday (long day, fell asleep early lol) and it still said I was 403 calories OVER for the day. (963 cals in - 1560 cals out) - Goal was set to 560 but I'm not sure why so low?

This is because you only had a 597 deficit at that point in time, you didn't burn enough to get the 1000 calorie deficit.This is what I'm guessing, as I'm often confused with fitbits numbers aswell, someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
    Losing 2lbs a week is incredibly hard, near impossible at your weight.

This makes so much more sense now! I was not counting the calories I would have to burn with exercise previously. I have changed my goal of 2lbs a week and will be getting more activity in order to burn those calories to reach my deficit goal :smile: Thank you for your help and for the link!
  • medukins
    Options
    corsayre8 wrote: »
    What I'm getting out of this post is that based on your heigh, current weight and activity level, you are trying to lose to much weight per week.

At your size and what appears to be a low level of activity, your TDEE may very well be around 1800-1900 calories. Subtract -1000 a day and that is why you are getting those low numbers. I do not believe that Fitbit has the 1200 minimum guidelines like MFP does.

You are going to have to do one of two things, or a combination of the two. Increase your activity level, (which at your size would have to be a significant amount, and perhaps not reasonable). Or decrease your goal (maybe a 1 pound a week and a 500 pound deficit).

You are correct. I will be increasing my activity level and decreasing my goal to be a lot more reasonable. It makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. :smile: Thank you so much!