Easiest Way to reduce sugar intake

Options
I'm starting over again on MFP and I am going to have a lot of weight to lose (about 70 pounds). I know my most immediate challenge is going to be sugar, as I stopped to look at how much sugar I'm consuming in a day and its generally somewhere between 200-350 grams a day (yes I realize that's terrible). I know when I try to just stop cold turkey it makes me feel like I want to die. Is there any other method or will I just have to go through the come down for a few days?

Replies

• coachfrey
    coachfrey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure because today will be my first day of logging, so I'm not sure what I'm overeating. But I do know that I constantly have a coke in my hand, I don't drink nearly enough water, and I drink coffee from Starbucks daily, which is LOADED with sugar.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    There you go. Reduce the calories you drink and you'll make a huge impact.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You could switch to water, start having your coffee unsweetened, or both. It's not complicated.
  • Jelly_Beaner
    Jelly_Beaner Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yeah...no more sodas.. drink at the least a gallon of water a day! That alone will make a big impact! But eat healthy and smart, protion control on cheat meals! You got this! :)
  • coachfrey
    Options
    I totally understand how to reduce it, my concern is with the impacts I have when I reduce it. The headaches are unbearable to the point that I get sick to my stomach. Is that normal after removing that much bad crap from your system?
  • coachfrey
    Options
    Also, how do I determine how much water to drink a day? I always heard 64 ounces a day, but a good friend of mine who is a dietitian told me that at my weight (265) I should be drinking way more than that a day.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is your friend. The taste is odd to get used to but it'll totally keep your caffeine intake up. If you want to reduce caffeine, tackle by slowly reducing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    coachfrey wrote: »
    I totally understand how to reduce it, my concern is with the impacts I have when I reduce it. The headaches are unbearable to the point that I get sick to my stomach. Is that normal after removing that much bad crap from your system?

Caffeine withdrawal

Taper down and take painkillers

Substitute with black coffee with sweetener or diet cokes

• truando
    truando Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    cold turkey. start on a weekend and just do it. get it over with already!
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try taking chromium picolinate 3 times a day before meals. They say it helps with carb and sugar cravings. I read the book "Lose Weight without Dieting or Working Out" which recommends a 21 day jump start with no caffeine, sugar, white carbs, animal protein or alcohol. Instead, you replace those with healthy oils, vegetables and whole grains. I did it and it was surprisingly easy. I haven't eaten refined sugar for 4 weeks! Attended a dinner party tonight with pie, cake and ice cream at desert, and I didn't even want it!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just get your logging straight first. Spend a couple weeks in a deficit, look at your diary, see where your sugar is. If it is still very high even in a deficit, take a look at what foods you are eating that are causing it.

I eat low sugar on the regular. I don't believe sugar is the devil but I am a very hungry little girl and pastries, added sugar, etc do not fill me up. I just accidentally ended up this way because I found a way of eating that works for me. I add 2 packets of sugar in the raw to my coffee per day. The rest of the day is diet soda and water, no grains/bread/pasta. No pastries.

I have a treat per day, such as a rice krispie treat before I train. I am still at 25g-50g tops per day because I'm generally not adding a lot of sugar.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

When I stopped drinking Coke (cola), I switched to unsweetened tea. This reduced the caffeine withdrawal headaches, but I still had issues. They took 2 weeks to resolve, and then I was ok. If you switch to diet soda, you may not have as many issues.

Also, unless you have a health issue that requires it, you don't need to reduce to such a low level that you feel like crap. Make small changes, start logging so that you know where you stand (and use a scale to get an accurate measure), and go from there.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    truando wrote: »
    cold turkey. start on a weekend and just do it. get it over with already!

That doesn't work for everybody. Caffeine withdrawal headaches can be excruciating.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same and the easiest way is diet coke. Its the lack of cafeïne what gives you the headaches, not the lack of sugar. Also paracetamol with cofeïne can help. I am slowly cutting down on the diet coke
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to be gradual about it. Drinking your calories is surely a huge source of extra calories. If you are drinking say, 5 cups of soda a day have one of them be a diet soda and increase gradually. Same for coffee, have one black coffee a day and increase gradually. Before you know it you can actually start replacing some of the diet soda with water (if you want).

After that you can start introducing more nutrient rich foods to your diet within your calorie range, which will naturally displace more high calorie sugary foods until you reach a balance you are happy with.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over again on MFP and I am going to have a lot of weight to lose (about 70 pounds). I know my most immediate challenge is going to be sugar, as I stopped to look at how much sugar I'm consuming in a day and its generally somewhere between 200-350 grams a day (yes I realize that's terrible). I know when I try to just stop cold turkey it makes me feel like I want to die. Is there any other method or will I just have to go through the come down for a few days?

Transition slowly by substituting low glycemic versions of foods you like now. The extra fiber might help keep your cravings for more sugar down somewhat.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Remember it is a process and you don't have to get it perfect today. Start off just reducing the soda etc where you feel you can, and focus on logging everything honestly and accurately.

Just logging it all can help you see where you can cut back.
    Then you can work on reducing sugar - I found it much easier once I could really see where my calories were going and then I didn't want to "waste" my precious calories on too many sweet things (I still fit in chocolate though!)