What Do You Do INSTEAD Of Eating?

Options
Sooo..as we get going in our weight loss journey...Some of us realize that EVERYTHING we do revolves around food.

"Oh, you're bored...just eat! Oh, you've had a stressful day...just eat! But even socially, sometimes thats all you did with friends...going out to eat/drink...dinner and a movie...drinks and appetizers to unwind...dessert at the outdoor cafe...etc..etc..."So I'd love to see some posts with the answer to this question:

* * *Whether home alone, out on date night, or having a girls nite out....What Do You Do INSTEAD Of Eating?* * *

Hopefully we'll all get some new ideas!

Replies

• bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Paint my nails!
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    chew gum :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I meet with my friends to go for a walk and talk or to do errands or go shopping.

:flowerforyou: If I am mad, sad, glad, frustrated, bored, etc, i go for a walk ,do yoga, put on music and dance, call a friend on the phone and walk while we talk.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    chew gum seriously it helps with cravings

lol didnt see ya there soifua
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    clean, do laundry, pay bills, water/tend to my garden, jog, walk the dog, fetch with the dog...
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I paint my nails or crochet. Doing things with my hands not one keeps me from getting my nomnom on with the nearest bag of chips or piece of chocolate, but keeps me away from the smokes too.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Watch a movie, shows, or get on my elliptical.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I mess around on MFP!!! I window shop at various stores!
  • meryllb
    meryllb Posts: 28
    Options
    i still eat! you can actually eat A LOT! i keep my calories around 1200 - 1500 and i still eat 3 meals a day, 3 snacks a day, dessert AND starbucks! you just got to find the right healthy foods you like and know how to order when you go out.

whenever work is stressful, i always go to starbucks, only i get a iced coffee with sugar free syrup and non fat milk. ends up only being 30 or so cals per grande (depending on how much milk you use)
  • zyle
    zyle Posts: 34
    Options
    Gum, and chew on a straw/dental pik, whatever I find that's hygienic to keep in my mouth for a bit. Walk, bike, pushups situps and dumbbell curls
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Paint my nails!

That's a great idea!! It keeps your hands busy and occupied!!!!!! I love it!!
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I CLEAN...very often! Also, I go shopping-my other guilty pleasure.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Walk , exercise, read a book, play on MFP or other websites, sew, scrapbook, make jewelery, etc.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...every social gathering revolves around food. We seem to have food related activities at work and with family all the time. I don't know what the answer is, especially at work. I stopped eating all the "goodies" at work last November 1st, and its amazing to me to realize how many calories I've saved by not having the cake at the birthday, the pastries at the meeting, etc.

If anyone has the answer for what to do instead of eating at social gatherings, I'd love to hear it!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    BATH!!
    workout!
    walk
    talk on the phone to relatives
    have a diet pop or drink water -- also zero arnold palmer is amazing
    download music
    chew gum
    do my hair
    do my make up
    take forever to get ready just because there is nothing else to do
    try on old clothes in closet to see which ones don't fit
    CLEAN!!
    clean out the fridge
    do the dishes
    play with a pet
    go run errands
    go to a tanning salon
    go to walmart or the mall just to look around
    drive somewhere
    give someone a massage
    browse through the magaize section of a store
    do the laundry
    make a to do list
    shave!
  • Campanella
    Campanella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are so right when you say everything revolves around food. When old friends want to meet you and talk about old times, they say "lets go out and eat" not lets go for a walk and talk. If you say no to eating they think your cheap or strange.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Drink water!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    When I go to the movies, or bowling, I don't eat. I don't want to spend the extra money on sub-par food. At home, I clean, read a book, paint my nails, watch TV, or exercise.

When going to a social function with food - I just make healthy choices/watch my portions.

It's a way of life!
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    walk with a friend
    read a book
    weed the garden
    leave the house
    talk on the phone

painting nails is a GOOD ONE! You can't mess them up!!!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I read blogs (MFP and otherwise). I also walk, do yoga, yack on the phone...anything to keep my mind off snacking!