Soya milk

Options
I drink about 500ml of this a day and have done for about 2 years because I'm lactose intolerant but have recently come across negative reviews online about it's effects on males and their testosterone levels. I have noticed a decline in my libido and sexual attraction but I just put this down to the anxiety and depression I've been going through. Could the soya also be causing this? Also what other health risks come with it?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    These correlations are unfounded when consumed in the quantities you're speaking of. I really like unnatural vegan's video on this topic because she goes over the current research on soy and soy products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQFYONMcTg

p.s. to wrap it up for you, soy is generally considered safe. Pretty neutral. There is, however, a limit to how much soy you can consume before you may experience negative side effects such as poor vitamin absorption, thyroid dysfunction, or excessive estrogen: about 12 servings per day is the number we've seen repeatedly.

Your low libido and sexual attraction can be a result of an extended calorie deficit, the coolidge effect, and more. I'd say head to your doctors.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I <3 unnatural vegan, it's thanks to her videos that I let my son have soy milk now. We don't consume much dairy products as a hangover from my foray into vegan ism.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No that's just propaganda from the dairy and meat industry. I mean they can't let word get out about a cheap, plant based protein. That's bad for their business.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I <3 unnatural vegan, it's thanks to her videos that I let my son have soy milk now. We don't consume much dairy products as a hangover from my foray into vegan ism.

What about Almond milk, does your son like it?

• caradack1985
    Options
    He used to but he's not so fussed on it these days, same with oat milk. Soy milk is closest to milk I think.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    He used to but he's not so fussed on it these days, same with oat milk. Soy milk is closest to milk I think.

Lactaid would probably be the closest. Because it's actual milk, with the lactose removed and has added the lactase enzyme to allow for digestion.

OP, if you want, switch to another milk to see if there is any adjustment.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I really like soya milk but I just saw some damning reviews online that made me think twice!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I only just discovered her, but so far I am a fan.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I only just discovered her, but so far I am a fan.

I wish I'd found her videos earlier, I might have stuck out veganism a bit longer! Instead I got swayed by the super high carb, fruit heavy, completely unsustainable variety.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    By it not being a complete protein does this negatively affect what I am wanting e.g. muscle growth?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    By it not being a complete protein does this negatively affect what I am wanting e.g. muscle growth?

Soy contains all 9 essential amino acids....

In any case, you just need to ensure you're consuming enough overall protein.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do some more digging on Google + YouTube that'll answer your questions thoroughly. Personally I avoid anything to do with soy. My body functions better without it. All advice is good but you're probably looking for a male POV, here it is. Have a quick read throufh this http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

Note* I'm not saying soy is a bad food. It just has properties not everyone may like if they knew the full extent of it.
  • jmbeckford
    jmbeckford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Made my body produce way to much estrogen. I feel much better since I switched to almond milk and avoid tofu. Soy will give u man boobs!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jmbeckford wrote: »
    Made my body produce way to much estrogen. I feel much better since I switched to almond milk and avoid tofu. Soy will give u man boobs!

You must have been drinking/eating a heck of a lot of soy.

I asked my doctor about this as I have fibroids which are caused by over production of oestrogen, she told me soy/soya has nothing to do with it and I can carry on eating/drinking it. And sadly didn't give me bigger boobs :)
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    I only drink about 400ml per day on my breakfast purely because it has no lactose and I actually like it
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Do some more digging on Google + YouTube that'll answer your questions thoroughly. Personally I avoid anything to do with soy. My body functions better without it. All advice is good but you're probably looking for a male POV, here it is. Have a quick read throufh this http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

Note* I'm not saying soy is a bad food. It just has properties not everyone may like if they knew the full extent of it.

I don't have manboobs and my hair is still growing I have a beard but the sexual function isn't there with me getting few if any erections but could this be down to my anxiety and depression?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,980 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of soy milk w/my soy protein shakes 4-5x's a week and have done this for years as part of the high protein aspect of my diet.

At 65, I have no problem w/my libido (just ask my GF). I also have a full head of hair (it's genetic) and the pecs in my 44" chest (due to lifting) are holding up fine and don't sag one bit.

Of course, I don't drink 3 quarts of it a day either (like the guy in the article referenced by Bodyz) either. LOL!!!
  • Judith4567
    Judith4567 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink about 300ml of it a day because I love it.