PLEASE HELP! Confusion with MFP and 21 Day Fix

I decided to start 21 DF because I am a 26 year old woman who weighs 217 pounds and measures 5,8" (obese).

Because 21DF does not factor that obese people need even less calories to lose weight (I've been doing far too much research), I figured instead of doing the 1800-2099 calorie range (which was far too much food and not enjoyable to eat), I would go the next bracket down.

Even the next bracket down (1500-1799 calories a day) is a tad too much. According to MFP, I should eat 1730 calories a day (which coincides with the bracket I chose), but I'm don't want to eat anymore today even though I need to still eat another 291 calories apparently.

My goals in MFP are set to losing 1.5 pounds a week and a light active activity level.

Today I input the estimated calories burned each day per 21DF 30 min workout(about 300 for today's cardio).

Finally, my question is, should I select a different activity level? Should I not put in the workout calories burned because I already chose an activity level? Should I really eat that extra 300 calories?

I'm assuming I'm at too much of a calorie deficit (without those 291 calories I still need to consume) if MFP is already factoring in average calories burned for each activity level.

MATH GENIUSES UNITE FOR ME!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think the most important thing is that you 1) set your calories to a deficit and 2) track correctly. Don't eat back more than 50% of your exercise calories. Weigh everything you eat/drink, check entries for errors, use the recipe builder, log correctly, hit your calorie goal every day - don't "cheat", don't "forget", don't give up. The 21 day fix is portion control through colored containers, so that you "don't have to" count calories, but it is not as accurate as counting calories, and I really think you should pick just one of the methods, not try to merge them (and I know which I would choose).
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    I always set to sedentary and add workouts manually. Otherwise you may be double counting and eating too much. I also only eat up to a maximum of workout calories, even less if it was a really big burn e.g. If I did a long run (70-90mins) that burned 700-800 kcals I would be unlikely to eat back more than 300 unless it was a special occasion.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    I decided to start 21 DF because I am a 26 year old woman who weighs 217 pounds and measures 5,8" (obese).

Because 21DF does not factor that obese people need even less calories to lose weight (I've been doing far too much research), I figured instead of doing the 1800-2099 calorie range (which was far too much food and not enjoyable to eat), I would go the next bracket down.

Even the next bracket down (1500-1799 calories a day) is a tad too much. According to MFP, I should eat 1730 calories a day (which coincides with the bracket I chose), but I'm don't want to eat anymore today even though I need to still eat another 291 calories apparently.

My goals in MFP are set to losing 1.5 pounds a week and a light active activity level.

Today I input the estimated calories burned each day per 21DF 30 min workout(about 300 for today's cardio).

Finally, my question is, should I select a different activity level? Should I not put in the workout calories burned because I already chose an activity level? Should I really eat that extra 300 calories?

I'm assuming I'm at too much of a calorie deficit (without those 291 calories I still need to consume) if MFP is already factoring in average calories burned for each activity level.

MATH GENIUSES UNITE FOR ME!

What do you mean by the bit in bold?

Larger people have higher calorie needs, therefore they can eat more than smaller people and still lose weight (though still need to be in a calorie deficit which means eating less than your TDEE). I have no idea where you got the opposite idea from. But your research is plain wrong, sorry.

Use this:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

To work out your TDEE, eat 500 less a day to lose approx 1lb per week and 1000 less to lose approx 2lbs per week (1lb of fat =3500 calories/ 7 days = 500 calories per day). It's just simple maths. Though is approximate as weight loss is not linear/ like clockwork and some weight loss will inevitably be muscle loss, though this can be reduced with exercise and getting enough protein.

MFP uses as similar method (based on the same principle) to give you your calorie goal for the day. I personally find TDEE easier to use rather than MFPs. Which you use is up to you.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    How do you calculate the 300 calorie burn for your exercise?
  • amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    I've been confused by this too. I do NOT do the shakes, but I try to use the cups, but sometimes I eat something where the serving size is more than what my cup is. I have been doing portion control with the cups, but doing my food on this site. I joined Planet Fitness so I can see just how many calories I burn on the treadmill or stationary bike. I aim for 500 each time. Then I might add some weights, but don't add those calories in because I don't know exactly how many I am burning. I just stick with what MFP tells me. Hopefully I don't hurt myself, especially since I am NOT much of a protein eater. I get some, but not enough, I don't think LOL!!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    The 21DF brackets include that you are doing one of their videos each day. That's why MFP has you at a lower calorie level. With MFP, you add in the exercise and it bumps you to the same calorie range 21df gave you.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Congrats on trying to make changes, there is just a couple things I want to point out.

First, it should not be called the 21 day fix, it should be the rest of your life fix. You cannot do something temporarily and expect permanent results. Make a change, commit for life. This is why "diets" fail, people stop doing them.

If you don't want those extra 291 calories don't eat them.

I know you said the first bracket of 1800-2099 is too much, and I am not sure how to say this without being rude, but if you are 217 pounds at 5'8" you are eating a lot more then 2099 calories a day.

I am assuming you are being honest and correctly tracking every piece of food that crosses your lips, from that bite of whatever off a friends plate to 2 M+Ms you ate out of the candy jar at work to dressings to drinks. If it goes in your mouth track it.

I will be honest with you and this may upset you, but the vast majority of people, who do not track, have no idea how many calories they are eating and drinking. Track everything. I am not trying to be mean, losing weight is very difficult, I just want to give you good information to help you succeed.

300 calories for a 30 minute work out seems very high.

Finally, my question is, should I select a different activity level?

For now, keep your activity level the same unless you go down a level. Research has shown people overestimate how many calories they burn and underestimate how much they eat.

Should I not put in the workout calories burned because I already chose an activity level? Should I really eat that extra 300 calories?

Personally, I do not track my workout calories. The general advice of MFP is to eat back half of your exercise calories. If you are truly hungry, eat something nutritious like a bag of plain steamable vegetables, plain greek yogurt, skinless chicken breast or salmon, fruit, or low fat cottage cheese.

You don't have to eat if you are not hungry.

The activity level is how active you are throughout the day. A construction worker has a higher level of activity then an office worker sitting at a desk. Physical activity is just you living your life. Exercise is planned and purposeful. They are both beneficial but not the same thing.

Here is a guide for the activity level:

Resting
    Sleeping, reclining

Very light
    Seated and standing activities, painting trades, driving, laboratory work, typing, sewing, ironing, cooking, playing cards, playing a musical instrument

Light
    Walking on a level surface at 2.5 to 3 mph, garage work, electrical trades, carpentry, restaurant trades, house cleaning, child care, golf, sailing, table tennis

Moderate
    Walking 3.5 to 4 mph, weeding and hoeing, carrying a load, cycling, skiing, tennis, dancing, weight training including rest between sets.

Heavy
    Walking with load uphill, tree felling, heavy manual digging, basketball, climbing, football, soccer

Good luck! Please don't get discouraged. If you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    To lose 1.5 lbs you need to eat 750 calories less than you would need to maintain your current weight. You need to eat less than you did without dieting. You could log a typical day of food without dieting and start reducing from that number.

For MFP your activity level should simply be what you do in your day without purposeful exercise. You are supposed to then log your exercise. Sedentary is usually 5,000 steps or less, office type jobs. http://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/

I would set your activity level to sedentary, eat the calories MFP gives you, log your exercise and eat half of the calories you earn from exercise. Give it at least 4 weeks and see how it goes. If you are losing too fast or are too hungry you can change your goal.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    My suggestion is to either do MFP or the 21 Day Fix eating program rather than trying to combine both at first. Once you have a good handle on one plan, then you can look into combining them or even switching entirely if you feel like that would be beneficial.

The problem with not eating all of your calories or all of your servings of food is that, while it might be fine for a day or two if you are having an appetite fluctuation for some reason, if you continue that long term, you might start to experience increased hunger due to your low calorie intake. That can make it more difficult for you to make smart choices with your eating and more likely to decide that your new lifestyle isn't working for you and give up on all those healthy choices you've been making. So, don't sweat it if you have 31 calories left over at the end of the day, but a significant number like 291 means either incorporating more calorie dense foods into your daily choices (peanut butter, full-fat dressings/dairy products, nuts, etc.), larger servings of food, or adding in an extra snack. A calorie level that allows you to lose 1.5 pounds per week is not too many calories to consume.

As stated above, the research that led you to conclude that obese people need fewer calories to lose weight is not correct. There is research that people who were once obese and lose their weight can require slightly fewer calories to maintain their weight than people who were never overweight, but that is a separate issue that you will tackle when you reach your goal weight and figure out your maintenance calories. For losing weight, choose the goal that either MFP or 21 Day Fix sets for you, follow the program for at least a month (6 weeks would be better), then look at the results and decide whether or not you need to make any adjustments. Don't be surprised if you lose quickly during those first 2 weeks and then things slow down drastically after that - that is normal fluid loss at the beginning from drastically changing the way you eat.

Weighing daily and recording your weight using an app or website that gives you a trend line can be very helpful in evaluating your progress while not getting discouraged by weight fluctuations caused by changes in your body's fluid levels. Google weight trend app or weight trend tracker and lots of results will pop up.