Butternut Squash

Options
MelMel1515
MelMel1515 Posts: 16 Member
Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any good recipes or ideas for butternut squash?

I am growing it in my garden this year and my butternut squash plant sort of got out of control and now I have a surplus of butternut squash.

Replies

• laceyfaye2
    laceyfaye2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a vegetable spiralizer, then you can cook it with olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. Hey presto, or maybe hey pesto! Low carb vegetable pasta is great!
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    roast butternut squash, feta and lentil salad!
    or
    butternut and sweet potato soup with roast butternut squash
  • MelMel1515
    MelMel1515 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! :)
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I put roasted bite-sized chunks in my vegetarian chili.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Boil or steam, and mash. Then season to your liking. I like cinnamon, SF maple syrup, and cinnamon added
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/03/butternut-squash-mac-n-cheeze/

i love this recipe. but seriously, dealing with fresh butternut squash is so difficult! more power to you, i've never diced as many fingers as i have trying to prep butternut squash for roasting.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Soup with carrot and onion

Chips, olive oil and seasonings and roast till charred

One of my go to is a meditteranean style stew ..so mixed veg (onion, carrot, celery,mushroom, bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant, tins chopped tomatoes, squash) with garlic, basil, oregano, Rosemary, bay leaf and seasoning..chop and simmer for an hour ..serve over rice with shredded mature cheddar on top
  • dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Been making this for years. Amazing. Butternut soup with roasted veg and apples.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-with-apples-and-chipotle/
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I can buy butternut squash already cut up, but find that it is pretty pricey, so I take my chances with a good sharp knife!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My sister made a good roast butternut squash, chili, feta and rocket salad a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can find the recipe.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper baked.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Try grilling it on your BBQ (or in the oven broiler) sliced down the neck as if hamburgers (seed the bottom part slices to make "grille-Os"). Brush on a little olive oil, dust with S & P, at the simplest. Go wild from there with other condiments/sauces if the spirit moves you. No need to remove skin to cook; can remove after cooking, or eat if softened enough.
  • wl4v
    wl4v Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cut in half and roast cut side down on parchment until tender. I freeze it in cubes and use it in chili, stews and soups. I mix it into Quinoia for a subtle sweetness at breakfast.
    Run it through the blender with broth for a great soup. Rather than adding cream, stir in a little Greek yogurt at the end. Yum!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How do you cut this stuff without hurting yourself? It's very hard & difficult to work with.