running and lifting heavy.

Options
in the past I've been an ocasional runner and an ocasional weight lifter. Now I am running 4 miles a day 3-4 times a week and would like to start stronglifts 5x5 to improve my strength and attempt to counteract a possible muscle mass loss while eating at a slifht deficit. I still have a bunch of weight to lose but realize its not a race and the slower I lose at this point the more likely I am to maintain.

My questions for runners who lift heavy what do you do about the squats? Stronglifts has me squating heavy 3 times a week while I still want to run 3 days a week with a rest day.

do I cut milage, modify squat workouts(less weight/less reps), or just man up and squat heavy and run?

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Man up!

Actually, it will be easier than you think. SL starts really low, so it will be pretty easy at first. Then as you get stronger, running will get easier (especially hills!). I've been doing SL5x5 for about 9 months while running 15-20 miles per week on off days. The only time I dropped back on lifting was the last few weeks of half marathon training when I was running 25+ miles per week. Then I was running out of energy (and time). But I still kept at it, just 2 days and 3x5 at the same weight.

You can totally do it. I'm always amazed at how much I can do if I just go for it. Just take it slow and tweak as needed.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Once I starting squatting over bodyweight, I was doing SO 5x5 , it did start to effect my running. But heavy lifting requires a full 24 hour recovery and I was running 2nd day. So best advice I can give is to run on weight training days. I no longer do 5x5. I'm still lifting heavy, but not 5x5 (crossfit style) so now I can run on off days. Weightlifting also affected my running because I enjoy my WOD workouts more than running now lol
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running & lifting are not mutually exclusive, however to to both there is going to be a little bit of compromise and not every lifting plan meshes well.
    That said I would try to run on your lifting days sometimes.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It isn't the funnest, and you likely won't get any PR's lol. I run 6 miles 3 days a week and lift heavy 3x a week with 1 day off. It isn't easy, my running times are usually down by about 1 min per mile, and I tend to be a bit more sore right after running. Keep in mind you will also need to increase your caloric intake on days you run.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to lift in the morning and run in the afternoon.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I had a tough time keeping up with lifting and marathon training (this was two years ago now). But I was also trying to eat in a deficit for weightloss. So, two goals (running and lifting) might work, but trying to pursue all three was a mistake.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the advice.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just go for it. I'm currently trialing the stronglifts program and I commute to work by bike 5 days a week, covering 8 miles daily, it has not hindered any progress in my lifts so far. Start low and work up, on a slight deficit you shouldn't have an issue but I wouldn't create to big a deficit or your body may struggle on lifts or not recover quite as well as you would like it too.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It depends.....How long have you been running, and is 4 miles a comfortable distance for you? If so, then I think 4 miles 3x/week with stronglifts should be fine. It will take some time before your squats get heavy enough to make an impact. But even then, I think 4 miles is still doable. You will be sore some days, but sometimes a short easy run the day after lifting can feel good. If you have the opportunity to do both on some days, I would consider running in the morning and lifting in the afternoon - that may give you an extra day off to recover.
    However, if you have a goal of increasing mileage, or training for a distance event, there will likely come a time when it will get difficult to do both. I had been doing stronglifts during my last half marathon training, and finally I had to cut it down to 2x/week. I had felt as though I was constantly running on tired legs, and it got to the point where I felt like I was losing progress with both the running and the lifting.
    I'd say give it a try but stay in tune with the signals your body is giving you.
    Good luck!
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    I alternate lifting days and running days, but on lifting days I walk on the treadmill (incline 10 @ 3.5mph/ 2min), between each set, the next day I run about 7 miles, except after leg days when I run 6.2 miles. All leg presses are single leg, except deadlifts.

Ran 6.2m today, did legs yesterday and I've been exhausted all day. Trying to figure this one out myself.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I run about 20 miles per week. I also do sl 5x5. I squat after my runs....usually immediately after (treadmill), but sometimes later that day if I was lucky enough to be able to get an outdoor run in.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Last week I finished 8 weeks of SL 5x5, my half-marathon training plan called for a 10 mile run on Sunday....... by about the 8th mile my legs were dead (I've had no problem with my 5 & 6 mile runs earlier in the week) and the only thing I could conclude is that I'm not getting enough recovery time (SL Mon-Wed-Fri, Running Tue, Thur, Sat & Sun).

For the first few weeks it was a piece of cake, lighter weights and shorter runs, but with the heaver weights and longer runs not so much...... the plan is to do weighted squats 1 x weekly and maintain the rest of the program until after my A race in September and then go back to squatting 3 x weekly.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Last week I finished 8 weeks of SL 5x5, my half-marathon training plan called for a 10 mile run on Sunday....... by about the 8th mile my legs were dead (I've had no problem with my 5 & 6 mile runs earlier in the week) and the only thing I could conclude is that I'm not getting enough recovery time (SL Mon-Wed-Fri, Running Tue, Thur, Sat & Sun).

For the first few weeks it was a piece of cake, lighter weights and shorter runs, but with the heaver weights and longer runs not so much...... the plan is to do weighted squats 1 x weekly and maintain the rest of the program until after my A race in September and then go back to squatting 3 x weekly.

Pretty much this. When you start out it's no biggie, but the heavier you lift the more you need the recovery time and running 4-5miles a day while progressively loading and on a caloric deficit, well something has to give.

My question to you is: what are your fitness goals? If you are training for a 5K or some other race, then you are probably going to have to cut back on the squats a bit. If you goal is strength with some cardio for heart health, I would suggest cutting back the running a bit.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am going to reiterate what others here have said.
    Yes, it is much harder to run on the days after you lift and you will be slower. It's just a fact. It will get somewhat better with time. But if you are working your legs hard with squats, your legs will be somewhat fatigued the next day.