Reward ideas that aren't food or money based?

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Looking and feeling good are rewards in and of themselves. Perhaos learn to enjoy it by going to the beach, or joining a group that focuses on an activity you enjoy such as running, biking, or hiking.
  • 8healthy3
    8healthy3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Take pictures!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Something to consider: What is the purpose of the reward? Typically, a reward is like the carrot hanging from the stick - something you can look forward to after doing something you're not looking forward to, as a way to motivate yourself (or someone else!) to do the Thing.

However, given that we're on this board and not on, say, a boy-band discussion board, we're most likely thinking about either exercise or healthy eating (or both) as the Thing. In both cases, those are Things that are most effective as ongoing goals, rather than something you achieve and are done with. Research on subscription-based (ongoing) games shows that it is most effective to have the reward for an achievement be something that is an INVESTMENT in continuing that action/activity. It also needs to be something relatively small, so that you can reward yourself fairly often and hopefully develop the action/activity into a habit.

For fitness, I would suggest things like comfy socks with fun colors or designs, a soap or shower gel you really like for your after-workout shower, or a new track added to your exercise playlist. If you're crafty, you might embroider a star on the sleeve of your favorite T-shirt for each week you meet your fitness goals. For nutrition, I tend to reward myself with fresh fruit. It's sweet, and it feels indulgent because a pint of strawberries (even on sale) costs significantly more than a bag of chips. Other possibilities might be going to the library to check out cookbooks with healthy recipes that look interesting and not too challenging, or finding a grocery store that has a wide variety of fresh produce, and choosing a few items that intrigue you. Maybe you'll think they're delicious. Maybe you'll think they're disgusting. Either way, it's an adventure ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What sort of money are you not wanting to use? When I got to 240, I did a 5K. When I got to 220, I did a 5K. When I get to 200 soon, I'll do another 5K. That's still money but not much. Come to think of it, what other than hugging yourself CAN you do without money?
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Blue hair (seriously consider this, it's so fun. Or purple or aqua! I used Splat)

Agreed! Do it before you are too old to rock it!

Lol! And pray tell- how old is too old??

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I love treating myself with stuff that costs money lol. I've gotten myself an expensive belt and shoes for lifting, signed up for a powerlifting meet. I'll get manicures, buy myself flowers, new clothes. Yesterday I bought myself 3 flower bouqets as a way to say "good job"...for nothing in particular.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My vote is for something stupid like reading a book, a pat on the back, a happy dance, or a knot in a string bracelet.
  • HolDav1
    HolDav1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bubble bath. Walk in the park. Tea by candlelight at home. Calling a friend.
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Blue hair (seriously consider this, it's so fun. Or purple or aqua! I used Splat)

Agreed! Do it before you are too old to rock it!

Lol! And pray tell- how old is too old??

To go full on blue, gotta do it before your hair starts thinning :) Otherwise, gotta stick to streaks! Although, I have seen some oldies, maybe in their 70's and 80's, rocking some silvery blues. Don' t think it was intentional though :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself with time -- do something you do not usually do --- take a break from your routine.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    All of my rewards ARE money or food-based. I can't think of anything that's not other than having a friend over and watching tv and not letting them eat or drink anything!
  • nathan_haveagoodday
    nathan_haveagoodday Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My favorite reward I came up with was shaving my beard off. I had not seen what my face looked like without facial hair in six years. It was a treat seeing myself in a new perspective. It has almost grown all the way back now (way too much work to shave everyday).

So my suggestion is to change something about your appearance or environment to serve as a visual cue or reminder of a goal or success. Change the scent of the shampoo you use after a certain milestone. Give yourself the good spot in the garage. Switch the forks and the spoons in the silverware drawer so every time you grab the wrong utensil you can smile and go "hell yeah. I've lost XX pounds this year".
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Even food costs money. :#
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how meeting one's goal(s) isn't the reward. I'm assuming, of course, that the goal was set because it was something the setter wanted. If you wanted something, and got it, isn't that something the reward? This is especially true if that something could have been obtained only through hard work.

The goal is the reward, don't trivialize it by "needing" something else.
    i.e. "I finally got into that article of clothing I've been trying to get into for months, give me a piece of cake as a reward"? Has it become that materialistic of a world?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Maybe not free, but not terribly expensive.
    Meet a friend for a matinee movie, or go to a drive-in
    Do a physical activity that you usually don't do, go with a friend for added fun - go ice skating, roller skating, bowling, hike in a new park, mini-golf, sled riding
    Trip to a museum or gallery crawl - we have free and 'pay what you wish' nights at various times throughout the year
    Host a few friends for a bonfire or game night (sure, food is often involved, but not necessarily the focus. And keep it cheap by going potluck style)
    Join a MeetUp group you think is interesting (might need to spend a few $ here and there if MeetUps take place a coffee shop or something)
    Save a TV series or movie you really want to see until you hit your goal (more delayed gratification)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Netflix binge. I know someone who had a favorite show but she would only let herself watch it for as much time as she exercised that day.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Everytime u hot a goal burn article of your 'past' clothes or something that reminds you of bad habits of the past. Prob not inside...health n safety n all that. Or donate it to charity
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A day off from all chores... Ooh I'd love that.. Or tidy and try on everything in your wardrobe. Xx
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How about just being satisfied with your achievement? Why the need to reward for everything little thing geez.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I was very motivated with rewards. I hit a lot of goals and did some neat stuff. I have noticed now though, my needs have changed a bit I guess. Instead of buying a new pearl necklace because I PR'd my bench press weight, I find a natural reward in my new goal of breaking my PR's. That's just how it happened for me...
    Setting up rewards is great and you'll figure out something, if it's not a set yourself up to fail kinda thing because of too many rewards stipulations... Hope you find something awesome!