Blah Blah Blah

Options
I'm having a *****in' moment: Just because I'm overweight, doesn't mean I like to eat all the time or eat large quantities of food all the time. It means that up until recently, I was lazy and ate a lot of fast food, fried food, processed food and didn't eat very many good foods my body actually needs. On that note, trying to consume over 1,500 calories a day is really difficult when I'm eating well. Sure, it's nice to have the calories if I slip up, it gives a little more wiggle room, but when I'm trying to nosh on fruits, veggies and proteins all day...that's just rediculous! THEN, when I exercise I need to eat back my burned calories and I feel like I'm starting the whole day over again!!!! :mad: I don't want to net less than 1200 calories...For example, I've currently only netted 411 calories even though I've eaten 1007 cals. I need less than 800 calories just to meet my net requirements...How on earth am I supposed to eat 800 GOOD calories near 7 p.m.??? It's easy to do if I go eat something "bad," but I don't want that! I want to learn how to eat good calories to meet my daily needs.

Replies

• sche1amy
    sche1amy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am with you :) I have a hard time eating calories that you earn when workout. I actually do not use them everyday. I hate that people think because one is overweight they are junk food junkies that hide in closet and stuff their faces with crap. I finished my dinner and still had over 600 in calories. There is not a chance I will be able to use them since I had a later dinner.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hear you, girl! Try some nuts! They are a great source of protein and high in calories. ;) Good luck!

Oh, and avocados are great too!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I go for hummus and whole grain pita bread ... an ok amount of calories and it's yummy and healthy :D
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You need some higher calorie, healthy fat foods! My go-to foods are unsalted cashews and almonds (180 cals for just a quarter cup...adds up quickly!), avocados, pita and hummus, or just add some olive oil to anything (100 cals per tablespoon). If you do this throughout your day, you'll feel full without feeling like you're stuffing yourself!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Time to drink some wine :-)
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Time to drink some wine :-)

LOVE IT!!! :drinker:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's only hard when you've failed to plan ahead. So... plan ahead. This needs to be a life plan. Allow yourself some fun or your going to end up quitting. While, yes, it's good to have veggies, fruits and protein, don't make it ALL you eat.

For example, instead of eating just celery, have celery & peanut butter. Incorporate nuts into your diet (chopped nuts on stir fry or in salads, for example). Eat higher calorie or fat "fruits" - e.g., avocado (toss in a salad). Eat 2 eggs instead of just 1 (don't be afraid to allow yourself a piece of bacon). Have a whole grain english muffin with it. Have a slice of whole grain bread. Enjoy a nice snack (I love butter toffee almonds - 1 oz = 160 calories, so it's an easy way to add calories!) Have a skinny cow ice cream treat.

High calorie doesn't mean it has to be bad for you. Instead of baking that fish, sautee it in 1 TBSP of olive oil. Or, drizzle the olive oil over it when it's done baking. Make a nice sauce to go over your veggies.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Homemade tacos with low-fat beef or ground turkey, in stand and stuff shells, with carefully measured portions of cheese, covered in lettuce and diced tomatoes, with homemade spice mix (no salt) and a tablespoon or two of salsa. Add a small side of home-spiced black beans. There's your calories, plus you're full, and the fat/carbs aren't too crazy.

Just an idea. A really tasty one. I wish I had taco fixings in the house!

Kris
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Lots of very healthy foods can be added in that are calorie dense. Have you thought about avocado, nuts, nut butters, glass of milk and a piece of Peanut butter toast can add up quick and is a healthy snack and won't make you feel stuffed.

I've never thought of eating as a hassle...:tongue: to me it's good fuel for my body, so if I work out my body needs more, in time you'll find many foods that help those calories add up.

I've found it's all in the planning ahead, instead of waiting until the end of the day with a load of calories to chow down. When I plan ahead I know exactly how much I've burned (well, approx., since no method is foolproof) and how many calories to allot myself per meal/snack.

It does take time to figure it out but it's like a game to me now, trying to fit all the puzzle pieces together to end up with a good looking day.

I do understand though that eating healthier foods won't add up near as fast as crappy food but that's good right, isn't that why we're all in this game?:wink::flowerforyou:
  • WWhitaker
    Options
    I eat all those kinds of foods, not every single day, but still. Some days it's easy to make a meal plan, and most days it's not. I may have every intention of working out but come down with a cold or whatever and may wind up skipping the gym and alternating for something less calorie burning at home, so I don't want to wind up going over in said situation. Calorie counting just gets frustrating sometimes!!! It's definitely not something I plan on doing forever, but until I can prove to myself that I'm knowledgeable and can live and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OMG! I think I love you. That is exactly how I feel. I got eaten alive on a post one day because people assume you just eat your fat *kitten* off and should have NO trouble getting the calories you need. I am trying to revamp my life and eat healthy, which means incorporating foods I have never eaten before. Still trying to learn what is healthy and what really is not.....even though the label says it is. Takes a lot for me to figure out how to eat healthy to 1500 ONE time.......let alone doing it again after exercise. I can totally relate!
  • WWhitaker
    Options
    Lots of very healthy foods can be added in that are calorie dense. Have you thought about avocado, nuts, nut butters, glass of milk and a piece of Peanut butter toast can add up quick and is a healthy snack and won't make you feel stuffed.

I've never thought of eating as a hassle...:tongue: to me it's good fuel for my body, so if I work out my body needs more, in time you'll find many foods that help those calories add up.

I've found it's all in the planning ahead, instead of waiting until the end of the day with a load of calories to chow down. When I plan ahead I know exactly how much I've burned (well, approx., since no method is foolproof) and how many calories to allot myself per meal/snack.

It does take time to figure it out but it's like a game to me now, trying to fit all the puzzle pieces together to end up with a good looking day.

I do understand though that eating healthier foods won't add up near as fast as crappy food but that's good right, isn't that why we're all in this game?:wink::flowerforyou:

I love your response! I live on such a budget and eating healthier at the store is more expensive than before, so every trip I make there I try to stock up on something, but the food goes quicker too! So I'm really learning how to budget my expenses as well. I LOVE avocados...unfortunately every time I've been shopping lately, they look awful! I'm lactose intolerant and can't handle milk. I can handle cheese though...to an extent. I like cheese too much, so I've gotten my body used to a certain amount at a time. I think the planning ahead part is something that will come with time for me. I'm still educating myself about so many things right now, it's overwhelming enough. So I take baby steps. Once I can really get a hang of what I'm currently doing, I'll try to start planning better. Thanks for your input!
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    I eat all those kinds of foods, not every single day, but still. Some days it's easy to make a meal plan, and most days it's not. I may have every intention of working out but come down with a cold or whatever and may wind up skipping the gym and alternating for something less calorie burning at home, so I don't want to wind up going over in said situation. Calorie counting just gets frustrating sometimes!!! It's definitely not something I plan on doing forever, but until I can prove to myself that I'm knowledgeable and can live and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I have a tendency to just grab a Builder's Bar if I can't figure out what to eat and I need more calories. I have almonds and pecans in the house, and I need to remember to use them more often.

Kris
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I love your response! I live on such a budget and eating healthier at the store is more expensive than before, so every trip I make there I try to stock up on something, but the food goes quicker too! So I'm really learning how to budget my expenses as well. I LOVE avocados...unfortunately every time I've been shopping lately, they look awful! I'm lactose intolerant and can't handle milk. I can handle cheese though...to an extent. I like cheese too much, so I've gotten my body used to a certain amount at a time. I think the planning ahead part is something that will come with time for me. I'm still educating myself about so many things right now, it's overwhelming enough. So I take baby steps. Once I can really get a hang of what I'm currently doing, I'll try to start planning better. Thanks for your input!
    Honestly? I think you're doing great, you did just jump on board in April and it does take time to strike a balance. Preplanning wasn't something I started out doing but worked my way up too it. I think getting all my water in each day was what I began with as my earlier goal, then as you shared, baby steps...

Keep up the good work Hon! I understand your need to post, it does help at times to realize you're not the only one struggling at something in particular.:flowerforyou: Also to hear that it won't always be that way.:drinker:
  • WWhitaker
    Options
    OMG! I think I love you. That is exactly how I feel. I got eaten alive on a post one day because people assume you just eat your fat *kitten* off and should have NO trouble getting the calories you need. I am trying to revamp my life and eat healthy, which means incorporating foods I have never eaten before. Still trying to learn what is healthy and what really is not.....even though the label says it is. Takes a lot for me to figure out how to eat healthy to 1500 ONE time.......let alone doing it again after exercise. I can totally relate!

:heart: Loves! :heart: When it comes to getting healthy and educating myself, I feel like I'm in a maze! There's just so much to learn. It's really sad that it seems our society hasn't placed a high enough value on health and education of health. I went to one of the nicest schools in my state and still there wasn't a high enough importance. My brain hurts!!! :sick:
  • WWhitaker
    Options

Honestly? I think you're doing great, you did just jump on board in April and it does take time to strike a balance. Preplanning wasn't something I started out doing but worked my way up too it. I think getting all my water in each day was what I began with as my earlier goal, then as you shared, baby steps...

Keep up the good work Hon! I understand your need to post, it does help at times to realize you're not the only one struggling at something in particular.:flowerforyou: Also to hear that it won't always be that way.:drinker:

Thank you very much. That's very rewarding to hear! Sometimes, a good vent is all I need. :)) P.S.- I sent ya a friend request! :blushing:
  • WWhitaker
    Options
    I neglected to inform everyone, I work from 12 p.m.-9 p.m. So I'm at work for the majority of my eating. There's a tiny fridge that's to be shared with at least 7 other co-workers. It's really difficult bringing all this food with me, but I know I need to or else I'll succumb to cheese fries! :cry: It's a lot more difficult since I don't get to cook my dinner. And, even in the mornings I don't have time because I'm usually cleaning up the house ( a. I'm a clean freak and b. I have 2 dogs and a cat who destroy the house over night), running errands, working out, etc. and I certainly don't want to cook when I get home! Does anyone have any advice on that part?
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    I neglected to inform everyone, I work from 12 p.m.-9 p.m. So I'm at work for the majority of my eating. There's a tiny fridge that's to be shared with at least 7 other co-workers. It's really difficult bringing all this food with me, but I know I need to or else I'll succumb to cheese fries! :cry: It's a lot more difficult since I don't get to cook my dinner. And, even in the mornings I don't have time because I'm usually cleaning up the house ( a. I'm a clean freak and b. I have 2 dogs and a cat who destroy the house over night), running errands, working out, etc. and I certainly don't want to cook when I get home! Does anyone have any advice on that part?

I would recommend a small cooler bag with an apple, an orange, some nuts, and maybe a Till-a-moo cheese snack or two. And you could always make up meals in advance and have them waiting in the fridge or freezer for when you come home.

Kris
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do realize that there's no law that says you HAVE to eat back your exercise calories. I feel like a lot of people on here are under that mentality, when in reality it does not work for everyone (myself included). So, I say if you're successful right now on your current diet, don't feel like you have to continually eat when you're not hungry at all. I do agree with the other posters though - there's a lot of great higher calorie/fat foods that you can supplement you're diet with, like avocados, olive oil, nuts, etc.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to cook, try to cook in bulk on the weekends or whenever your free time is. Do things in big batches and pack it into to-go containers, then just grab the next one in the morning. Get a cooler and a cold pack and you don't need a fridge.

How are you measuring your exercise calories? If you're using the values from this web site's database or the readouts on the machines at the gym, they are often too high for many people. A heart rate monitor is a good investment to determine your actual exercise cals more accurately. It's possible you aren't burning as much as you think. If you're confident in the accuracy of your exercise cals, then you need to eat more throughout the day if you know you're going to have a big workout later.

Same with food - make sure you're weighing and measuring everything to get your calorie intake as accurate as possible. And as already stated, you can add healthy cals with nuts, sauteing veggies in olive oil instead of steaming them, a little peanut butter, etc. Also, if you're doing heavy workouts, make sure you get your allotted protein every day. This is really important to maintain your muscle mass. Good luck!