Snacks

Options
I usually dont have time to cook during the day so I have breakfast and then I snack during the day until dinner. Can you tell me some low cal , fulfilling snacks ? The only veggies/fruit I like are carrots , grapes and cherries.

Replies

• TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. I just buy microwave butter popcorn and add some salt, takes awhile to eat it so feels more like a meal than a snack. The packs I get are between 117-184 calories each.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oatcakes are filling :)
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    How about Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, hummus, veggie straws, fudge bars. There are a ton of low cal snacks. You just have to peruse the snack section in the grocery store and see what you like.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I second the oatcakes, they are excellent as they are whole grain with fat and protein as well as carbs - they keep me going better than almost anything else.

Broaden your focus beyond just fruit and veg. They're fine for snacks if you eat three meals, but you need substantial snacks incorporating more food groups if you're relying on them in place of meals. Try to incorporate some carbs, protein and fat as well as the fruit or veg, otherwise it will leave you feeling hollow. You are really trying to make a mini-meal rather than what we usually think of as a snack.

My go-to mini-meal is a couple of oatcakes with an ounce of cheese and a handful of grapes or an apple. Really satisfying. Others are a stick of celery with peanut butter or a raw carrot with some cheese and crackers. Boiled eggs are excellent protein and can be cooked in a batch at the beginning of the week.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, boiled eggs, thin crackers with peanut butter, Fiber 1 bars, any veggies or fruit, precooked meats, a wrap with anything, protein shakes or smoothies... many possibilities!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Crispy chickpeas, dry-roasted soybeans, nuts (in reasonable portions), string cheese (or other individually-packaged single-serve cheese with reasonable calories), Indian puppodums, some Greek yogurts, pickled things (if salt isn't a problem for you - and you can get almost any veggie as a pickle, not just cucumbers).

Personally, I like a snack with some protein - more satiating. And I'm OK with it having a few calories (still not ridiculous calories of course), as long as it contributes effectively to the day's nutrition.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (0% fat plain for most protein, least cals and 0 added sugar) and a little jam and stevia. Carrots and hummus. String cheese and grapes or apples. I always try to have protein with my snacks. but sometimes ill do just veggies for low cal "boredom" snacks. Right now I like cucumber cut into sticks and dip into italian salad dressing (bolthouse farms has a yummy one that has only 25 cals/ 2T.).
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn, fig newtons, a serving of seeds or nuts, a low cal yogurt, or lunchmeat with a cheese stick
  • mcmahoj3
    mcmahoj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Homemade jerky. Packed with protein and low in fat.
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    my go to snack is air-popped popcorn. i also like onion pickles :D but i don't think anyone would consider this a snack.
    frozen yogurt, pick your favorite low calorie one.