pregnancy cravings are anytging but healthy! help!!

Options
Hello everyone ok for starters I've been off the wagon for so long and can't seem to get back in the groove of healthy eating and exercise. I have gained more the past year than I have in a long time. I again said I was going good to get back on track in July well the first couple of weeks I did great. However the last week of July I found out I was pregnant (totally unexpected) so now I need to start eating healthy and better because I don't want to gain any extra more than what I already will. However the problem I'm having is the smell of meats make me sick and my favorite veggies like asparagus asparagus zucchini are grossing me out. I have never been a fan of mcdonalds, salty foods, frozen foods like pizza rolls and things like raviolli but lately those are the only things I've wanted. It has no nutritional value and I can't live off it, I need help. What are things things I can eat like snacks or dinners that are healthier than what I've been wanting. I have done ok with grapes but strawberries and blueberries (my favorites) have not been a good choice so far. I need ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated!! What have you other ladies done in this situation if you've been there lol?? I'm lost!!

Replies

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter in March. I did get sick from some foods like baked beans, Kiev...generally I tried to eat as healthy as possible. I tried to stick to my calories but I went way over sometimes as my heartburn cured quite nicely when I ate...and I also craved ice cream! I think by the end of the pregnancy I lost fat from my body and my weight dropped when I started breastfeeding. Unfortunately my daughter passed away from meningitis so after a few months of takeaways because I didn't have the energy to cook I'm back here! Anyway, try your best, take vitamins but don't worry about it as it's not healthy for your growing baby!
  • DublinDietitian
    DublinDietitian Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    no fun!!! When are you due, Heather? And sweetilemon, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter :(

Can you make your own pizzas, or buy like Kashii brand or Newman's -- something a little healthier at least. For salty foods, what are you craving? If potato chips, can you make/buy some kale chips? Or air pop popcorn and control the salt and butter you add? Or add herbs instead? I like to pop my own popcorn using coconut oil (package will have directions for measurements)

Whole wheat (or quinoa, or edamame based, etc) ravioli/pasta with veggie-rich tomato/marinara sauce?

McD's has things like grilled chicken salads and oatmeal - but it sounds like those aren't the things you're craving ;-) If you get a burger or the chicken sandwich, toss away the top half of the bun and get without cheese or mayo.

Lots of water, take your vitamins, keep moving, and just choose to make one small change at a time! And breastfeed if you can afterwards to help not only baby's health, but your own!
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant with my first and have been eating horribly as well. The weirdest cravings have been for pickles, chili cheese dogs, and beanie weenies. I am convinced I am having a boy because no daughter of mine would eat that crap! Lol! I've just been focusing on portion control and trying to eat more salads and fruits a few days a week to compensate for the days I'm eating more junk food. Also keeping homeade soup around has helped. I get hungry more often and late at night . Soups are filling and lower in calories than a lot of other options. My weight seems to fluctuate up and down by about 5 lbs each week but I think I've been maintaining so far.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I just tried to make everything I was craving myself. I always wanted fast food, homemade is always going to be healthier! Try and make sure you are drinking lots of water to prevent extra bloating. I understand its super hard! My baby is 8 months old right now and I swear I have more cravings breastfeeding than I did while pregnant.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter in March. I did get sick from some foods like baked beans, Kiev...generally I tried to eat as healthy as possible. I tried to stick to my calories but I went way over sometimes as my heartburn cured quite nicely when I ate...and I also craved ice cream! I think by the end of the pregnancy I lost fat from my body and my weight dropped when I started breastfeeding. Unfortunately my daughter passed away from meningitis so after a few months of takeaways because I didn't have the energy to cook I'm back here! Anyway, try your best, take vitamins but don't worry about it as it's not healthy for your growing baby!

so sorry about your daughter.