Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Are you exercising at all?

Yes! Every day for at least 30 minutes.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5:2 at the moment (500 cals a day) and eating 500 cals less then my TDEE on the non fast days and the weight is falling off (dieting for an upcoming holiday at the moment). I actually enjoy the fast days and don't feel tired. Once I reach my desired weight I'm going 6:1 for maintenance. The trick I think is not to think the non fast days are feasting days and eating over.
    I've heard ADF can help if you reach a plateau but I wouldn't want to do that long term.
  • Korriinn
    Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    dollydiva2 wrote: »
    I'm doing 5:2 at the moment (500 cals a day) and eating 500 cals less then my TDEE on the non fast days and the weight is falling off (dieting for an upcoming holiday at the moment). I actually enjoy the fast days and don't feel tired. Once I reach my desired weight I'm going 6:1 for maintenance. The trick I think is not to think the non fast days are feasting days and eating over.
    I've heard ADF can help if you reach a plateau but I wouldn't want to do that long term.

okay cool thanks for the input
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to do this? Weight-loss achieved through fasting is hard to maintain. Also, you will be very tired on those days.

I don't think she is referring to total fasting; just a dramatic calorie-cycling method. You still eat a bit on "fast" days, and overall weekly calorie intake is generally not more than 20% below maintenance level.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have been doing alternate day fasting (1400'ish calories on a non fast day and 600 on a fast day) for about five weeks and have lost 30 pounds. I am 5'11" and started at 254 pounds. I have also got a fitness tracker and do at least 10,000 steps a day and cycle around 100km a week.
    The weight loss is quicker than I expected and I have adapted to the fasting without any major issues. I am rarely hungry which I put down partly to drinking a lot of water, tea etc.

This really seems to be working for me and feels sustainable in the long term. I have a two week holiday coming up in about a month and the challenge for me will be getting back on my program afterwards.

Fasting is nothing to be scared of and is claimed to have lots of health benefits besides weight loss (read the Michael Moseley book or see his documentary). If you want to try it then do so. Do not be put off by people who have never tried it claiming it is bad/unhealthy/unsustainable.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Korriinn wrote: »
    I have heard about this, where you eat every other day, is it a good way to loose weight? Anyone have success stories from it, and how did you go about it? Also, is it even healthy?? Lol. Thanks!!! <3

There are groups here that do the 5:2 ----> one of several forms of Intermittent Fasting.
    --> Five days during the week at maintenance and two days a week at 500 calories.
    (For men, it is 600 calories on the fast days.)

• CatMarlett
    CatMarlett Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Read Prevention Magazine's article: "This Diet Can Lead to Weight Loss, Sharpen Your Brain, and Extend Your Live. But, Do You Actually Want To Do It." It gives a comprehensive, non-medical explanation of how eating low calories every other day works and references studies done in major universities. Do some reading....