Can we settle this calorie debate???

Options
124»

Replies

• tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Motions28 wrote: »
    If MFP says my goal is 1500 calories, and I burn 600 calories, should I be eating a total of 2100 calories? Or get my 1500? I've been told both by friends on here. I don't use a food scale every time so I adjust for variage counting. I would love to get a definitive answer on this. Thanks in advance....

There is a definite answer on how you are supposed to do it according to how MFP is supposed to work. The program is designed to build in your calorie deficit when you set up your profile. So 1500 already includes your deficit. Therefore, any activity you do above and beyond that, you are supposed to eat the calories back so your NET calories are 1500 and your deficit remains constant. If you don't eat the exercise calories back, your deficit gets larger.

Now, whether or not the 1500 MFP chose for you is accurate or not and how accurately you track exercise calories are the things that you have to experiment with because everyone is different.

So if you want a definitive answer to follow do what MFP is intended to do. Eat your 1500 + exercise. If you don't lose, you are likely overestimating exercise or the MFP calculation is not correct for you and you have to tweak things a bit.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dup post ... browser window looked like it wasn't submitted. :disappointed: I have crazy problems with this forum.
  • debradonothin
    debradonothin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat mine back because I want to lose more weight...
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat mine back, but I don't do a lot of cardio. Normally 15 minutes after my weight training. It's an individual thing, and depends on individual goals.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Can i ask how many calories you're eating and how many you are burning off with exercise? If it's only a couple hundred exercise calories a few times a week, probs not a big deal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Too high of a deficit will help defeat that. You burn more fat RESTING 8 hours than exercising for 2 hours because fat is the primary fuel at rest.
    If your deficit ends up being to high your RMR (RESTING metabolic rate) reduces. Which means you burn less fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised no one has asked this yet...
    OP, your goal is 1500? How much weight are you trying to lose? What rate of loss did you select? 1500 is the lowest recommended calorie goal for a male, so if you are burning more than that through exercise, even if your 600 cals is overestimated, you really should be eating exercise cals back.

Others have given you good suggestions about how to determine how much to eat back based on your actual rate of loss, but I was surprised no one commented on the baseline cal goal of 1500.

For what it's worth I'm a 5'2 female and lost 30 lbs eating back all my exercise cals and grossing between 1600-1900 cals. I use a FitBit now and eat back all those cals and am maintaining with a TDEE of 2200.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I personally don't eat mine back, but I don't do a lot of cardio. Normally 15 minutes after my weight training. It's an individual thing, and depends on individual goals.
    For most, weight training one hour won't result in more than 200-350 calories burned, so not eating them may not be that big a deal as long as you're not hovering under 1500 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png