Greek yogurt - ?Lactose Free?

Options
carolgrn
carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
Does anybody know if there is any greek yogurt that is lactose free? I am suppose to stay away from milk products, but my greek yogurt is so much of my daily protein intake.

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    In Canada, Liberte sells a lactose free Greek yogurt. In the US, I have not yet found one. However, many brands are naturally low in lactose. I'm lactose intolerant and can tolerate Chobani's Greek yogurts. My favourite is the plain whole milk greek yogurt they make.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So Delicous makes dairy- free Greek yogurt. It's not as high protein though but you could always mix in somethings protein powder.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Depending on how strict you have to be with the lactose, greek yogurt is already the lowest lactose dairy product you can get practically because most of the lactise has been drained with the liquid (hence the thicker consistency). That's basically why i started eating it(low lactose), but its my fave now because the protein content!
    I haven't found a non dairy yogurt that's tasty and higher protein so I'm sticking with this for now.
    Also maybe just limit your portion to say a 1/2 c per day if you think the lactose is still a problem, and go from there. I usually eat 1-2 1/2 c portions per day and haven't had any issues. But everyones different, good luck!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    Depending on how strict you have to be with the lactose, greek yogurt is already the lowest lactose dairy product you can get practically because most of the lactise has been drained with the liquid (hence the thicker consistency). That's basically why i started eating it(low lactose), but its my fave now because the protein content!
    I haven't found a non dairy yogurt that's tasty and higher protein so I'm sticking with this for now.
    Also maybe just limit your portion to say a 1/2 c per day if you think the lactose is still a problem, and go from there. I usually eat 1-2 1/2 c portions per day and haven't had any issues. But everyones different, good luck!

This is true for most greek yogurts. Some brands add powdered milk or cream after straining and so are not low in lactose - just something to be aware of.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. Luckily for me in Norway there is one brand that produces a very good one (Synnøve). I'm sure you'll find something. Check in the "special allergies" area in the stores.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input