Step up the protein

Options
I am finding that never get enough protein in my diet. On a typical day I have tuna, eggs, and possibly chicken and the least, but I can never meet my protein goal...and it's not set high. Anyone have any suggestions to pack more protein into my diet? I did just invest in some whey protein powder from the vitamin shop.

Replies

• RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have/had the same struggles as you. For me it's very easy to get carbs but protein is hard. Even though I eat fish and meats on my main meals, and all that. But I found a solution that works for me: I bought a protein powder and I bake with it, making some kind of muffins/cake .
    I do 200 gr of protein powder, 150gr almond flour, 4 eggs and 200 gr of greek yoghurt and 1tsp of baking powder. Mix everything together and put it on a lightly greased pan into the oven. This is the recipe I use for 8 servings and it's what I eat before going to the gym. It gives me 31gr protein, 2gr of carbs and 13 fat (it might change according to the exact ingredients that you use). It tastes very good, although a bit dry but you can add some chocolate chips to make it more interesting.

Sometimes I do protein icecream as well, by mixing one scoop of protein powder, a dash of almond milk, frozen strawberries (about 170 gr) and 3 or 4 spoons of greek yoghurt. But lately the "cake" has been a better fit for me because I can bring it to work and eat before going to the gym after work.
    Hope it helps!
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder into my morning porridge. Gives a delicious vanilla flavour & with berries added in its a lovely sweet treat. I also do the same with yogurts or add a scoop to smoothies :)
  • ninhogorgfan
    ninhogorgfan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All the protein you need is in the food. People have plenty of problems when they skimp on carbs; ive never had a problem getting 10% protein in the day. 80% carbs is definitely fine and you will still build muscle.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Green lentils make a great side in place of potatoes. If you eat bread, go for brown and seedy. Green veg like broccoli are quite high in protein. And obviously, milk and some dairy substitutes are a good source. Have a few nuts instead of an apple, if you snack. It's all the little bits that add up.
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "Getting enough protein" is a hyped up myth; just eat food.
  • mcmahoj3
    mcmahoj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, seafood, kangaroo (if you're in Australia). All high in protein, low in fat.
  • Adylia16
    Adylia16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    SoxyKitten wrote: »
    I add protein powder into my morning porridge. Gives a delicious vanilla flavour & with berries added in its a lovely sweet treat. I also do the same with yogurts or add a scoop to smoothies :)

Could you name the powder you get? As a vanilla sweet tooth, it sounds delish!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am a pescatarian who doesn't always even eat fish, so I do look for ways to eek in a little more protein, mostly because I feel better/fuller longer when I do. While it's got 200 calories, I do like the Starbuck's Doubleshot Coffee + Protein...it's got 20 grams. Because it has some carbs/sugar going on, too, I may use that as a meal replacement or most of a meal when I drink it. Cheers!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    26 grams of protein in my breakfast this morning: Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt, diced peaches, and Kind peanut butter granola.

I also use casein and whey protein powder to top myself off if I am under 130 grams for the day.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder and protein shakes. I am hungry when I don't get enough protein, but I don't eat enough meat and other protein-heavy foods, so that's my solution.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I add peas and beans to meals that need a small boost but if I'm really short I either have protein powder shake or biltong (I found its a bit leaner and less kcal than jerky). I also buy packs of pre-cooked and flavoured chicken or prawns to have with lunch (at work) or have yogurts as dessert (plain or with a little fruit, nuts, seeds or granola on top) if I haven't had enough protein. I try to hit above 100g a day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Egg whites.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Protein is so easy to eat, for me its the thing I always go over on, don't really understand how people need advice on how to get more tbh
  • Nyusha21
    Nyusha21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eat more legumes! Easy protein without all the meat all the time. For little boosters, add milk to your tea/coffee and snack on nuts and cheese.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try oats, nuts (especially almonds), nut butters, cheese, greek yogurt etc. I often have the same issue (although I am a vegetarian, so I swap meat with soy alternatives) and just research what food is high in it, and try to include those in each meal. I appreciate it is difficult when on a calorie limit too though....
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been too low on my protein consumption as well [averaging at 50-75g a day]. I recently increased it by adding a half scoop of whey protein to my morning orange juice [kinda tastes like an orange creamcicle that way], then have a post-workout protein shake later on [40g protein]. As for low fat "real food" sources of protein, fish is a good one. Most of the large frozen fillets give around 15g protein each.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have a decent amount of protein at each meal. I do that and I'm always over (and I aim for 100 g or more). Low fat dairy helps a lot -- cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt (I love both).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Easy breakfast - 39 grams of protein, under 300 calories

c65ddnrcw5hu.png
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Easy breakfast - 39 grams of protein, under 300 calories

c65ddnrcw5hu.png

I ate granola instead of a quest bar, but there's a reason @quiksylver296 is my friend.