Broken limb - my biggest challenge yet

Options
ARGriffy
ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
edited August 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Two days ago I broke my arm. I've snapped it clean in half, heard it snap and everything. Now I can't do anything! I can't exercise for at least 3 weeks to allow healing. (But it will be months before I can get back on my pole) I can't work .I can't cook. I can't even dress myself argh!!! Now the mission, DO NOT GAIN WEIGHT! ! And try to not get depressed in the epic leap backwards my training will take. Ffs.

Replies

• bigme3505
    bigme3505 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I broke a collarbone cycling a couple of years ago. The mental part was hard, as was the physical. Eventually you'll find something you can do, even if it's just walking, to keep you sane. Hang in there. It will pass. I promise!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! Take care, do what you can, have a positive attitude and stay away from any trigger food. If you can walk, do it because it will help you to burn some calories and will keep you busy. I hope that you heal soon, so better listen to your doctor.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    That's tough. I had lost around 100# when I had to have a full hip replacement. My biggest fear was that I would become the couch potato that I was before the weight loss. Luckily that didn't happen. I watched what I ate more closely and did my best to keep busy. Ended up at maybe a pound up after 6 weeks.

Good Luck, you can do it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You are already on my FL, so you may recall - Last September I broke my wrist and spent 19 weeks in a cast. Yes, I gained a few pounds (if you don't eat enough you won't heal). Yes, my poling and my silks training got put on hold. I took the opportunity to really work on my flexibility and now, for the first time in my life, I can do the splits! Hang in there!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    As someone who's been on bed rest/ minimal activity for the past 6 months, you can certainly make it through, and continue to lose weight if you want. Use a step counter, and enable "negative calories" on MFP. For me, MFP subtracts 200-300 calories from my daily calorie allotment on days my step count is <1,000.

Focus on getting enough protein daily so your body doesn't start catabolizing your muscle, and to support healing. Lots of calcium too of course.

Since its "only" your arm continue with your leg workouts and core workouts. Just pick activities that don't require a lot of balance at the same time as movement. Think gym machines, rather than yoga or dance or pole work, for the time being. Core workouts done on the floor should be pretty safe for you, too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Can you walk? I'm so sorry though, that must completely suck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend walking or jogging as well. There are many more exercises out there for you other than pole dancing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at maintenance or above. :)
    Healing bones costs your body lots of calories, especially calories from protein.
    Good luck.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! It's the first week so at current, no I can't do anything as it's a tricky brake so no cast just a brace so even walking starts to ache after a few mins. Need to sit down and allow the healing for a bit but as soon as this doesn't hurt like hell I WILL find ways to get back active. FYI. .. don't arm wrestle guys it breaks arms! !!
  • violet0ann
    violet0ann Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    maybe ask a friend or family member to help you do meal prepping once a week or every 2 weeks till your better? so you can make your own healthy ready meals to eat. so you only need to reheat a healthy meal from the fridge or freezer?