Best weight training split?

Options
I current do a 3 day push/pull/legs split, 3 cardio days and a rest day. Wondering whether this split is effective. There is so much info out there I'm finding it all rather confusing.

Replies

• wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this next week :smile:

Mondays: Chest, Triceps, Abs

Flat bench dumbbell press
    Incline dumbbell press
    Machine Flies

Rope push-down
    Lying bench tricep extension
    Lat pull-down

Crunch machine

Wednesday: Back and Biceps

Low machine row
    Back extension
    Lat Pulldown

EZ Bar curl
    Cable Curl
    Reverse cable curl

Friday: shoulders, legs, abs

Shoulder shrug
    Seated dumbell press
    Reverse machine flies

Bosu Ball Squats
    Leg curl machine

Planks

10 warm-up
    12 reps light
    10 reps moderate
    8 reps heavy
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to bulk up, there is rarely a reason to do a 3 day split for weights. Full-body workouts or upper/lower splits work well for most goals.
    Follow a pro-designed program for best results. :+1:

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Unless you are trying to bulk up, there is rarely a reason to do a 3 day split for weights. Full-body workouts or upper/lower splits work well for most goals.
    Follow a pro-designed program for best results. :+1:

This. Doing this let's you hit body parts more often, which means more progression (I'm assuming you're not an advanced trainer.)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm trying this next week :smile:

Mondays: Chest, Triceps, Abs

Flat bench dumbbell press
    Incline dumbbell press
    Machine Flies

Rope push-down
    Lying bench tricep extension
    Lat pull-down

Crunch machine

Wednesday: Back and Biceps

Low machine row
    Back extension
    Lat Pulldown

EZ Bar curl
    Cable Curl
    Reverse cable curl

Friday: shoulders, legs, abs

Shoulder shrug
    Seated dumbell press
    Reverse machine flies

Bosu Ball Squats
    Leg curl machine

Planks

10 warm-up
    12 reps light
    10 reps moderate
    8 reps heavy

Why do lat pulldowns for triceps?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Best for what? What are your goals?
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 3 day split so that I can also add 3 cArdio days and a rest day . Goal is to lose fat. I have built some muscle ovr last couple of years but its under too much fat. Only place can see any definition bus upper back and traps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 3 day split so that I can also add 3 cArdio days and a rest day . Goal is to lose fat. I have built some muscle ovr last couple of years but its under too much fat. Only place can see any definition bus upper back and traps.

3 days full body would be far more effective for strength and size rather than just hitting each muscle group only once a week.

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit not from picking different split routines.
  • clafairy1984
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

3 days full body would be far more effective for strength and size rather than just hitting each muscle group only once a week.

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit not from picking different split routines.

That's why I'm alternating weights with cardio, and being careful with nutrition. How could I work a full body and still be able to do the cardio without them interfering with each other too much?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That's why I'm alternating weights with cardio, and being careful with nutrition. How could I work a full body and still be able to do the cardio without them interfering with each other too much?

There is training and recovery interference (I cycle a lot and weight train so it's far too familiar to me!) so you have to manage the intensity of both the weights and the cardio. A heavier day on your legs before your rest day would be one way with lighter work the other two days. If your cardio is low'ish intensity it shouldn't be too much of a problem at your age.

When I'm training intensively for a cycling event I have to drop lower body weights completely - it's a compromise when you have mixed goals.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

It's not that difficult. If you are following a good program that hits everything with as few compound movements as required, you'll be fine. Cardio doesn't much matter if you are a little tired while doing it, your body will adapt.
  • clafairy1984
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

It's not that difficult. If you are following a good program that hits everything with as few compound movements as required, you'll be fine. Cardio doesn't much matter if you are a little tired while doing it, your body will adapt.

I've been doing 3 cardio days with a push/pull/legs 3 day split. Plus a body pump class. So each muscle group is hit from all angles once a week heavy (for me anyway) low rep, plus once a week light weight high rep. Been doing pump classes for couple years and have small muscle, but under fat. Only definition is in my upper back and traps and slightly in biceps when flex. Trying to cultivate a routine I can stick to that will work but not kill me lol
  • rybo
    Options

I've been doing 3 cardio days with a push/pull/legs 3 day split. Plus a body pump class. So each muscle group is hit from all angles once a week heavy (for me anyway) low rep, plus once a week light weight high rep. Been doing pump classes for couple years and have small muscle, but under fat. Only definition is in my upper back and traps and slightly in biceps when flex. Trying to cultivate a routine I can stick to that will work but not kill me lol

Hitting your muscle groups more than 1x week will be better for you.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Don't overthink it. If you are in a calorie deficit that is a great start- the exercise is just a bonus.

Doing 30 minutes of compound movements followed by 20 min of HIIT 5 days/week has been the most effective for me.
  • clafairy1984
    Options

So, do you think my current routine will be effective?
  • rybo
    Options

Not as effective as a full body program focusing on compound movements.
    If I had everything to do over in my lifting "career" I would have not followed a program that only hit each muscle group 1x per week. Did I get strong and build muscle, yes. Would I have gotten stronger and more balanced with a full body routine, most likely.
  • clafairy1984
    Options

If I had everything to do over in my lifting "career" I would have not followed a program that only hit each muscle group 1x per week. Did I get strong and build muscle, yes. Would I have gotten stronger and more balanced with a full body routine, most likely.

Hmm. Interesting. At the moment I'm working each muscle group twice a week, with a 3 day split plus one full body a week with lighter weights. I'm worried that trying to do a full body workout every time would make me too sore and be very time consuming. Wouldn't even really know where to start.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You should find and do an established program rather than making one up. Strong lifts is full body and takes less than an hour
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I do an Upper/Lower ABA BAB split. But I'm trying to lose a little fat these days as well. (In anticipation for all pumpkin everything season.) Now I'm wondering if I should switch it up and do full body for a while too...
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I do not like doing push push or pull pull workouts on the same day. My preference is to do push pull for the workout. For instance I do chest and biceps and back and triceps the next day. This way the triceps are not so overworked they impact the chest workout. Same with doing biceps with back.

Mon: chest, biceps
    Tue: back, triceps
    Wed: rest
    Thur: Legs, sprints
    Fri: Shoulders, traps
    Sat: hike, jog, sprints
    Sun: hike, jog, sprints
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Hmm. Interesting. At the moment I'm working each muscle group twice a week, with a 3 day split plus one full body a week with lighter weights. I'm worried that trying to do a full body workout every time would make me too sore and be very time consuming. Wouldn't even really know where to start.

You seem resistant to even trying, which makes me wonder why you even asked the question. Tons of people work full body and balance it with cardio just fine. Try it and see how it goes. There's nothing to lose by trying it.