Exercise Guilt anyone?

Options
I have been running for the past 3 months but due to a small stress fracture I chose to try a different option, now that i am healed, so that I am not pounding the pavement everyday. I run around 1 hr a day, approx 11minute mile. now I am doing the Ripped in 30 which is just over 30 minutes with warm up and cool down and I feel guilty because I am not burning as many calories and now working out as long. I mean I know I am using different muscles because I am sore, but I have dropped my calorie burn by about 400 calories a day. Last night I felt so guilty i went to the park and ran 2 miles after Ri30. Does anyone else have the guilt?

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I always feel guilty on my no-gym days. The most important thing to do is to focus on what your body needs though! And sometimes it just needs to heal!
  • mocklin
    mocklin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty, but I'm addicted to having exercise calories, LOTS and LOTS of them. I don't even eat a lot of them, but i'm addicted to seeing them there!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yep I use to get like that on the days I strength trained because that was all that I would do and my burn would be like 250 for 45 minutes. Thats nothing and it made me feel like I was cheating myself. To make myself feel better I revamped my exercise regimen. Now on those days I strength train I also do Zumba. I just strength train in the am and Zumba in the pm.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Burning less calories is not always a bad thing. It also means you are getting into better shape. When I first started working out with my trainer I was easily burning over 800 calories every time. Now it is usually in the 600 range. Since I am getting into better shape my heart rate doesn't get up as high therefore I burn less. Don't focus on it too much, you are doing great.
  • ridgellmomof3
    ridgellmomof3 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty, but I'm addicted to having exercise calories, LOTS and LOTS of them. I don't even eat a lot of them, but i'm addicted to seeing them there!

me too I like to have a deficit...i am an addict..better an calorie deficit addict than a food addict!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. I can't run any more, not an option. I refuse to feel guilty about NOT doing something that would injury me.
    So it's starting all over with baby steps. I do what I can finding new exercises that work for me and starting my way up from scratch again. BE PATIENT with yourself!!!!! I was on a lovely exercise>injury>heal>feel like you have to make up for lost ground>exercise>injury>heal>feel like you have to make up for lost ground>exercise>injury>heal>cycle.

I kept getting more and more broken. FINALLY decided it was time to start from scratch and let it be what it is.

Baby steps are okay.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Even though I workout a minimum of 5 days a week, I feel that if I don't workout 7 days a week, I am cheating myself. It kind of sucks because usually if I work out all 7 days, I lose the least amount of weight. Today for example is day 6 for me so far. It was in the 90's and very humid, I told myself I would take exercise off, instead I went for a fast walk and then swam in the pool, when I got home. I told myself I would take yesterday off, when I got back from dinner at 8 ish, I went out for another walk, because I felt like I ate too much, even though my dinner was no more than 450 calories and I only consumed about 1000 calories before exercise yesterday.

I never thought I would say this, but I think I am addicted to exercise.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I definely feel that way. Hell, I ran a 5K today and I am upset with myself that I didn't go to Body Pump or do some free weights. I think I could work myself into the ground and it would never feel like it's enough.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I know that rest days are needed. You can tell me all the time, but I really hate the days I don't do anything. I feel like a bum when I don't work out, even though I know I'm not.
  • rgibswilg
    rgibswilg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just came off a two day rest period because of knee and hip pain. My weight was the lowest it's been since I started MFP and when I went for my run today, I just flew up my hill, pushing a double stroller in 80 degree temps. I couldn't believe how strong I felt and my knee and hip didn't hurt either. I guess rest is a good thing. I know what you mean though, I did feel like a slug on my off days and worried I was going to lose ground if I didn't get out for a good sweat. But guilt? I try to remind myself that guilt is a useless emotion. I make every effort to live with 100 percent intention.