How do you track weight lifting session times?

Options
If you track, do you track by time spent in the gym to include time in between sets, or just the time you're actually in session?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i track rest between sets and that is it....not really sure why total time would matter or need to be tracked...
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i track rest between sets and that is it....not really sure why total time would matter or need to be tracked...

Sorry, I see how my question came across. I meant in terms of tracking calories burned.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It's a ball-park estimate really. You can log it under "Cardio" as "Strength Training".
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Use a heart monitor that calculates calories burned is your best option. I myself do not track calories burned from weightlifting, the after burn alone makes it hard to know how many calories are burned. Then there is intensity, if it's full body or a split, so on so forth.
  • RedMiataAZ
    RedMiataAZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you search the exercise database you will find "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)". You would logged under Cardiovascular.
  • Jcl81
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I will also tell you the database MFP has is very inaccurate!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    Use a heart monitor that calculates calories burned is your best option. I myself do not track calories burned from weightlifting, the after burn alone makes it hard to know how many calories are burned. Then there is intensity, if it's full body or a split, so on so forth.

an HRM is not mean to track calories burned from weight lifting...
  • leajas1
    Options
    Thanks, everybody!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sorry, I see how my question came across. I meant in terms of tracking calories burned.

you are going to get a minimal burn from weight lifting..something along the lines of about 100 to 200 calories per session ...I would not worry about it and focus on calorie deficit, macros, micros, and program adherence...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I only take 15-30 second rests in between sets, so I just track the whole time. Often, my "rest" is just the time it takes to add more weight to the barbell, get back under it, etc.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    germaldish wrote: »
    I just track the whole lifting session start to finish (including 90-180 second rests between sets), using a HR monitor to estimate calories... on my HR monitor I can see my HR jump up quite a bit during warmup sets (no rests between sets), then consistently spike during every full weight set then drop during each short rest. It may not be super accurate (as many posters have stated), but I think it more or less captures the effort and it's good enough for me.

again, HRM's are not accurate for weight training sessions...
  • leajas1
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Jcl81
    Really?
    As you can't measure the calorie burn how do you know the database is inaccurate for strength training?

(No you can't get a sensible estimate from a standard HRM by the way.)

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of rest between lifts and heavy sets and use 250 cals for a workout that's 2-3 hrs long and use 125 cals for a 1-2 hr workout. I don't record anything for a lifting workout less than 1 hr.

This is a conservative approach that prevents me from over-eating and it works well for me based on my ability to consistently lose and maintain my weight using these numbers.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 3x a week, and I track the "duration" from the time I start my first set until I finish my last set. I take 60-90 seconds of rest in between sets.

I use MFPs estimate (it gives me about 180 calories for a 45 minute session) and according to my CICO data (tracked by fitbit, weighing/logging food, and daily weigh ins on the scale) since I started lifting 6 weeks ago, I'm within a pound of how much weight I "should" have lost according to the data I have, which includes using MFP estimates for strength training. FWIW.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit, which estimates actual time spent working vs rest. A typical 1 hour session puts you at about 15-20 minutes under the bar, and the rest of the time resting.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I dont use that part of the app. I tried but got discouraged
  • Jcl81
    edited August 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @Jcl81
    Really?
    As you can't measure the calorie burn how do you know the database is inaccurate for strength training?

(No you can't get a sensible estimate from a standard HRM by the way.)

I said it was the best option. Better than MFP Database for sure. You answered your own question of asking how I know by saying this. "As you can't measure the calorie burn" Even though I'll answer how I know it's way off. Intensity and rest periods in between each set. MFP seems to go by time mainly. I could do 80 reps on bench and the thing wouldn't know the real difference as someone who did 20 in the same amount of time.