What is the healthiest yogurt

Options
I have been craving yogurt along with some granola in it.. What would be the healthiest yogurt to eat while dieting and exercising? Plain and add stevia etc? Please help! Thank you

Replies

• mayclayem3
    mayclayem3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much for your help.. I will def look for that brand in my local stores!!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No single food is healthy or unhealthy. Eat a varied diet of foods you like.

I agree with this.
    For yogurts I tend to choose a lower fat option (about 1,5-2 grams of fat per 100g) as the fats help you feel satiated better.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This

I've never understood the "healthy" and "unhealthy" labels on things. Is there a master list of What Is Healthy written on stone tablets somewhere that I'm unaware of?
    I'd rather have a master list of What is Nasty so I'll quit buying new things out of curiosity...
    The healthiest one is the one that fits in your calorie goal for the day. For me, most of the time that is Noosa, Fage, or Chobani. I usually do plain greek yogurt, and add honey, seasonal fruit (currently it's nectarines and blackberries!), and maybe cereal or nuts. Makes a great breakfast option!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I make my own to save a little cash. Some whey from the old batch, half a gallon of milk, and I'm good to go.

I initially used Fage 2% as a starter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really like Fage 2% too -- I get plain and add berries or some other fruit (good with peaches or as a dip for apples). The Fage 0% makes a good sub for sour cream and tastes good with many vegetables.

I don't think it's particularly more or less healthy than many other yogurts.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I eat Olympic 11% Balkan-style yogurt (plain). It's so rich it doesn't need anything else added to it...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    We don't have fage here. I buy chobani whole milk yogurt, and add a bit of vanilla essence and/or protein powder to make it taste better and cut the tartness.
  • scottonbike
    scottonbike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go with Oikos by Dannon. 120 calories in a cup 15g of protein and 6g of fiber.
  • mayclayem3
    mayclayem3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ended up trying the fage plain 2% yogurt and I added 2 packets of stevia and some natures path coconut chia granola and it was absolutely delicious! Thank you all for helping me out!!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The kind you make yourself. I make all my own Greek yogurt and skyr with my Instant Pot. I have full control over the quality and quantity of ingredients. It takes very little actual effort to make. I think the first time I made yogurt myself I instantly felt ripped off/stupid for having paid so much for it in the store when there was really nothing involved in making it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think Fage total is the best tasting stand alone yogurt there is. I like adding blueberries or granola. Sometimes I'll stir in vanilla & cinnamon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this...

the anser is the yogurt that allows you to meet your calorie, micro, and macro targets for the day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My favorites are siggi's and dannon light n fit.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just discovered noosa... It's good. +1 for siggi's, that's good too
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My store's generic full fat greek yogurt is really good. Mix in a couple of tablespoons of preserves and a couple of table spoons of pb2.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I tend to like our store brand's fat free flavored greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is usually better since it has more protein than regular yogurt [most greek yogurts have 21g protein per cup, compared to around 9g per cup of regular yogurt].