Unsupportive wife

Options
For a while now, I've thought it was odd that my wife has not really acknowledged my weight loss. I was sort of starting to think that she may resent the fact that I was getting more healthy, and she was not. Tonight, she told me what she really thinks... she said that she thinks I am being too restrictive on my diet, and she cannot support what I am doing. :(

I am very upset. I don't know what to think right now. I tried to explain it to her, but she isn't receptive.

I know that I am doing the right thing, and I thought I was doing it for her as well as for me. But, I guess just doing it for me will have to be good enough.

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    What exactly is she opposed to? The weight loss itself or the method you are using? (I.e., are you going really strict on what you eat or limiting your calories?)
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Did she give you any examples or further explanation about what she thinks is too restrictive about your diet? Change is difficult for a lot of people. It would be very difficult to deal with an unsupportive spouse, but I think you may be on to something that sometimes the people who love us are threatened by us changing.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    What are you restricting? Maybe she feels left out of this part of you life.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so can't comment on your wife's statement, but perhaps it's time you reevaluate what you're doing. I'm not saying she's right, but she is your wife. Either she loves you and is legitimately worried about what you're doing to yourself or, your initial assumption is correct and she's just saying she's worried about you when it's really another emotion that's causing her behavior. It's difficult to know the answer without the facts. It's something you may need to decide for yourself.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm not happy to hear about your problem, but this is the first time I've seen the shoe on the other gender's foot in this type of predicament. What else did she say about it? What does an average food day for you look like that she thinks is too restrictive?
  • aabyrer
    aabyrer Posts: 57
    Options
    My mother was like this with my father. Even though they had been married for 25 years, she was afraid that if he lost all that weight, she would no longer be good enough for him. It sounds petty but it was a real concern to her. Make sure your wife knows you are 100 committed to her and your family, and that weight will never change any of that..
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    Is it possible she is just feeling a bit insecure about you losing weight, but instead of admitted to those feelings, she's trying to claim she's worried about you being too "restrictive"?
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If we could see your diary that would help a lot. She is either actually truly worried about you, or she is jealous of your weight loss and success because A) she hasnt had success or B) she doesnt want to and is mad that you are. What kind of diet are you on? How much do you exercise? Maybe you can have her join you for exercise or have her try to get involved with your diet and make it a "family thing".
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so can't comment on your wife's statement, but perhaps it's time you reevaluate what you're doing. I'm not saying she's right, but she is your wife. Either she loves you and is legitimately worried about what you're doing to yourself or, your initial assumption is correct and she's just saying she's worried about you when it's really another emotion that's causing her behavior. It's difficult to know the answer without the facts. It's something you may need to decide for yourself.

Agreed. At the same time if she doesn't have the motivation to get out and do it she may not want to support you because it's making her face what she's not holding herself accountable for. However, there could be some basis to what she says, I don't know without seeing your diary.
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options
    yeah my wife doesn't like when I diet because I don't eat her cooking when i do. the calorie counting thing is easier but I like Atkins or the lemonade cleanse but she hates it :(

and she seldom acknowledges my weight loss, I get more support from strangers :(
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    For a while now, I've thought it was odd that my wife has not really acknowledged my weight loss. I was sort of starting to think that she may resent the fact that I was getting more healthy, and she was not. Tonight, she told me what she really thinks... she said that she thinks I am being too restrictive on my diet, and she cannot support what I am doing. :(

I am very upset. I don't know what to think right now. I tried to explain it to her, but she isn't receptive.

I know that I am doing the right thing, and I thought I was doing it for her as well as for me. But, I guess just doing it for me will have to be good enough.

I feel you bro, my wife is the same way. When I'm doing a low-carb diet plan she'll make cookies and all kind of high carb / high sugar foods just to mess with, bring me home candy, etc. I came to the realization that I had to ignore my wife's opinion and just worry about what I thought.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    sounds like your wife is in denial mode, she doesn't want to make those changes, so hates it that anyone else can have the strength to do so.

it's very sad that she won't support you. luckily you have a tonne of people on here who will support your new healthy lifestyle.

what does she say when you say that you want to be healthy for a long and happy life! That you'd rather not drop dead of a heart attack or get diet related diabetes or something equally as unpleasant?

Sounds like she needs a good old dose of the cold hard truth... It hurts, but sometimes it's necessary. my partner had to give me the cold hard and unpleasant truth many times before i decided that i didn't want to be a fat sloth anymore enough to make the change. But at least she could be encouraging and envious, and in awe of your hot new bod...
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Change can be difficult and scary for people, even if it's for the best. When we change, we cause others in our lives to question what they are or are not doing in their own lives. You are doing something amazing and difficult and she may be feeling jealous or scared. Without seeing your food diary it's hard to tell whether her worries are founded. Good luck in your journey!! :drinker:
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It might be that she is trying to find an excuse for not eating healthier like you are. She likes the old bad stuff, and it's just hard for her to change, and she doesn't want to be forced into doing it??? Just a thought.
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First of all, good job on losing 48 pounds!

Second, maybe she just wants to be heard. Usually food is the "wife job" and you eating something different and actually becoming healthy may be somewhat of an insult to her, without her even knowing it. Think about what she said, see if there is ANYTHING you can validate and let her know you appreciate her concern.

Thirdly, when you make a major change in your life it affects everyone in your circle and requires them to change also. You may not know of inner battles your change has created in her mind, heart, schedule or life. People usually resent change when it affects them or makes them feel threatened. Again, listen, what was she really saying?

Lastly, you have lost 48 pounds and are still alive so you must be doing something right. If she is concerned that you are eating a lot of fake diet food you should listen to that and start incorporating more real food. We had a client who drank 16 cups of coffee a day. When he quit is entire personality changed. He went from being high energy hyper to easy going and relaxed. His wife actually told him she didn't like him that way. His parents told him he must be going through some kind of mid life change. The truth is, for the first time since college, over 20 years, he was not drugged up with too much caffeine! Even HE didn't know his real personality. Now he is a different person in a wonderful way and his family has come along side and embraced his new life, teaching others how to live and eat healthy! It took his wife about a year to make the transition. Best wishes!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    she thinks your gonna get looking good and leave her
  • mikeyken
    mikeyken Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have to say I was that woman. I wasn't very supportive of my husband trying to lose wt, even though I know he needed to. Part of it was selfish, that I wasn't getting healthier and I wanted not to feel bad about my wanting to go out to eat. Part of it was that I thought he wasn't eating enough and depriving himself. He would fix a meal for me and the kids, then fix vegetables for him. I didn't want him to feel like he was being cheated and be in a bad mood. Then I realized he was happier when he was eating better foods for him and less amounts and was losing wt. I wanted to be part of it and have finally joined him in his journey. Hang in there. Maybe she will get it. I have lost 16 lbs, he has lost 26. We are both eating better and choosing better foods for our children, eating healthy together. Hope things get better for you.
  • Bartleyk11
    Bartleyk11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the supportive comments. I made my diary public, if you care to look. I typically consume about 2000 calories per day, which is right where I should be. I have been losing 2 or 3 lbs per week.
  • zebulonap
    zebulonap Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also at a 2,000 calorie goal per day. It seems to be working so far. Congrats on the weight loss & whatever you do, keep it up!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It does seem like you're just eating less of normal food (which isn't necessarily a horrible thing), but I wouldn't say you're deprived. Especially since you have an entire area on your tracker for beer. lol