I've platued. (Shortie here.)

Options
Needtolosefive
Needtolosefive Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2016 in Motivation and Support
So I've been losing weight by counting calories on a calculator. Mainly I've joined this community because of much needed support.

I lost 50 pounds (from 156-103/105) and I maintained for nearly a year. Then gained weight due to medication which put me at 115 (I'm 5'1.) I lost the first five pounds in three/four weeks for so, before signing up. When I had signed up, it had been two weeks with no weight loss. I saw 109 once, but I'm at the 110/112 range generally and it's been awhile now that I've stayed the same weight. Almost a month. Maybe more. I eat 1200-1300 calories a day, work out three times a week. Still, nothing. Last time I tried going from 110/112 to 105, I had the same problem. It took me THREE months to lose the last five. Three months!

I'm growing impatient from not seeing the scale move. My body composition has changed A LOT and it looks like I've lost more than just five pounds. I weigh myself daily before breakfast which probably doesn't help. Any shorties who have the same problem?

Replies

• kjplot921
    kjplot921 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking any measurements as well? A lot of times as your body is changing, you can see and feel it before the scale reflects those changes.

If you're inches and way you look and feel aren't changing either then I would look into switching it up!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You say your body composition has changed a lot. Are you happy with the way you look? If so, ditch the scale and don't worry what the numbers say.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You say your body composition has changed a lot. Are you happy with the way you look? If so, ditch the scale and don't worry what the numbers say.

I completely agree with this.

A number on the scale is simply one measurement of progress, the same as body fat %, the measurement of body parts in inches, the number of pounds one can bench press or squat, how far or fast one can run, etc. I believe that any one of these measurements should not be the end-all-and-be-all of a person's efforts to become more healthy and fit but neither should any of them be discounted. Running and weight lifting alone doesn't make one thin but neither does getting our weight to a certain number make us healthy and fit.

I realize that our society places a lot of emphasis on that scale number and that it's one of the easiest and most obvious ways for a person to measure "progress". The number gets smaller, progress is being made, QED. There are TV shows built around people trying to make that number go as low as possible in the fastest amount of time. I abhor those shows. I think they've done at least as much to distort people's perceptions of what weight loss should be about as the diet industry has. I believe that another measure of progress is when one realizes that the scale number shouldn't be the only goal or even the most important one.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    How short is short?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    1shedev wrote: »
    How short is short?
    She said 5'1". Most people would consider that pretty short. My mom and my sister are both that height and around her weight. They are both very small-boned, though, which makes a big difference in how you carry your weight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and maintain around 100-105.
    When I was losing it took 6 months of very tight logging to get those last pounds off.

If you can keep the extra weight and like the way your body is reshaping I would look at doing a recomp.

A slightly higher weight, yes, but a better body composition, and with more calories to eat would be a win in my eyes.

Go by the mirror, measurements, and scale. Not scale alone.

Cheers, h.